Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Roy, plans for this winter. First I'm trying to figure out what is holding my motor back. Most likely is the distributor but it could be the cam or crank key or cam pin. My timing was boucing and the motor would rev but not rev quickly. Then on to building shock tower braces. After that I have a list of things I want to make better. I need to find more power so I have started saving to build a new motor but that will probaly have to wait another year. I want the car to be streetable and run low 11's. The plan is to build a 408 or if I save enough money I will build another FE. I never got to weight the comet but it does need to go on diet, I plan to buy hood, fenders and bumpers from Crites but shipping really adds to the price. I'll probally get them shipped a US adress and pickup myself.

Roy what is your engine situation?
    Roger

2. 65COMET

65COMET

Roger;the Crites stuff is not that light compared to stock.The biggest savings was the front bumper,but their stuff is nice,the hood is worth a bunch as far as ram air.I'm in the process of finishing the oil cooler install and cooling system mods.I would think your combo should be in the 11s,I went low 12s at over 5000'alt.,with a 289,4-speed.I may need to pass on the FE for now,I have a 418"-351W,short block sitting waiting to get put together,may go that route next. ROY.

3. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Bill Lagana facing off with the Black Arrow at South Glens Falls.Bill broke an axle right in front of me and rolled it.Bill was OK and Comet was quickly repaired.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

[​IMG]

Great looking Comet, what does it run in the 1/4?

Jon

5. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

6. 427 SOHC

427 SOHC
    from white, ga.

Attached is a shot of the tameless tiger which i purchased from arnie beswick. After a loooooong process of putting it back together, i ran it for a couple of years on nitro with a pontiac motor.
    When the comet is finished it will have the same profile as the pontiac lemans except it will be a comet with a 465 cu in sohc motor and it will be on nitro.

Thanks,

donnie

Attached Files:

7. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

My heart sank today...
    While wiring up the rear taillights on the Rocket, being ever so close to getting it ready for its SEMA debut, I broke the right side rear tailight plastic. They are so old and brittle. I brought it home, totally dismayed at the fact that even though I was being careful, I was not careful enough. Tomorrow, I'll clean it again, and see if A good quality silicone bead on the inside will get me back on track, until I can source a better set than the ones I have currently. :eek:

8. Damn, that sucks and good luck. The tail lights are tricky pieces. I was a nice guy and gave my spare set to a local racer that had rolled his 65 comet and was building a new one. That was 2 years ago but when I pulled mine out, I found that mine not in good condition. Made do but Looking to replace. Good Luck.
    Roger

9. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

You and me both Mr.Squirrel.
    Love the 65's,but I tell ya,every now and then,I come across a great looking 64!

10. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Just got home from a Sunday like no other Sunday for me. Had friends there to help square away the new master cylinder, bled the brakes, and made a cautious maiden voyage. If you listen, and watch the car, you'll see my trepidation when I realized I was still only on the primaries. Into the secondaries it went, you can hear it, but I still was only 3,000 rpm's short of the shift point! THe car lifted very nicely, planted hard, and went straight and true!!! Yup. Still got a cracked tailight lense, but today was still a great, day!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us8hoV1uFKY

11. Mumbles

Mumbles
    from PNW

Way cool Dale. Looks awsome.

12. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

That is very cool! I love it!!
    You'll have to let us know when its available.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  13. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

[​IMG]

Good Job Dale
    The Rocket Sounds awesome,I bet its a Kick in the ass to drive.California looks nice.It snowed in thew mountains and has been cold all weekend.Time for me to move.

I am seriously thinking comming out for March Meet

14. Dale, you built an awesome car.:D

15. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

C'mon, no posts for a couple days? Someones got some old pics to put up, I"m sure.

16. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;how about new pictures from an "OLD" guy!!!!! What is up with the "Rocket"? ROY.

17. Clearspot; You should see the 65 Comet HT I pulled out of Lake Orion to Oregon Last week. Stored in my barn since 1972. Still mine & rust free. Has the 289 2V & 5 bolt Bell auto, so it's really early.

I bought it new from the Merc Dealer in Rochester in 1965 right off the showroom floor, when I was 17.
    Those were the days. I'll post some pictures in about a week. Just purchased a Econoline axle & already have a built 428 Fe for it with a C6. Now the fun begins,

Just Movin/on

18. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Are you still running a 10.8 to 1 compression ratio?Can you give the specs on that Elgin custom grind solid cam?And what rear gears did you decide on?The engine sounds healthy and the Comet looks great!

19. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Brought it home this afternoon, and took it for a spin on the city streets:D
    Yea, I'm not sure how LEGAL these mufflers are on the street, but hey, it cannot be any worse than those sewer cans on the ricers, or open pipes on a Harley, eh?? I'll finish some more stuff on, maybe take it out on the freeway and see if I can freak a few commuters out in morning traffic:eek:.

The compression still remains at just a tick under 11to 1. I"ve got the sheet buried somewhere on the cam, but from my memory, its not too over the top, maybe around .560 lift, and 295 total duration. The rear end houses a set of 4.30's on 28 spline axles. My only complaint at this moment is the converter seems a bit tight, but I"m sure it'll be swell when on the freeway.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  20. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

The Rocket turned out great! I wish I could be getting more done on my cars. My Cyclone is third in line as far as projects go so it will be awhile on mine.

21. 65COMET

65COMET

movin/on;glad to hear you have your Comet back with you.That FE combo sounds fun,don't throw that 5 bolt stuff away,there are plenty of guys looking for it.You have me beat on ownership length,I bought my 65 in the spring of 67.Keep us posted on your progress. ROY.

22. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;in the video the stance of the Comet looks great!! Did you lift the back?That 289 sounds BITCHIN!!! ROY.

23. 1965comet

1965comet
    from edmonton

Hey guys can i use falcon 1/4's on my 65 comet i cant find any thing for the 1/4's also would 1/4's from a four door work? thanks for any help

24. 65COMET

65COMET

1965comet;Falcon quarters are completely different.You can use the four door 65 Comet quarters,they are the same from the door on back. ROY

25. 427 SOHC

427 SOHC
    from white, ga.

I am looking for drip rail moulding and rear window mouldings
    for the 65 comet 202 that i will be receiving in about a week.
    Where can i find these items?
    I will post photos as soon as it arrives.

Thanks

donnie

26. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Roy- after our conversation, I did. About one inch. If I go higher in the rear, I'll need to fab up more perch mounts for the springs. I had three different pick-up points, and I"m already at the bottom one. So much for that. I do think it may need an additional inch.

27. krag4201

krag4201

Two shots of Hayden Proffitt and a shot of my in progress 65

28. krag4201

krag4201

Here are the pics sorry

Attached Files:

29. krag4201

krag4201

Dearbord classics has these for sale in their catalog last I checked

30. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;the stance,to me,is perfect right now!!! Do you think the rear springs are going to sag much more?Are you still going to SEMA? Stick a four gear in there,then you won't have to deal with tight converters!!!! ROY.