Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Kool66

Kool66
    from Dearborn

One the subject of first flip top funny cars i had a long conversation at the Frankenmuth Michigan Autofest a couple of weeks ago with John Logghe,son of one of the Logghe Bros.I asked him all kinds of questions on the history of Logghe Bros. race cars.When i asked about Don Nicholson's first flip top Comet he said it originally had a Lift off body.The story went when Don complained to Logghe that the body removal after each run was cumbersome,John's dad came up with the hinged rear body idea.Logghe is still in business but out of the race car stuff.John runs a Cackefest front engine fueler at many events around the country.

2. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Yep I'm still checking in. I was glad to see the progress pics of your 65!

3. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

just added this to the fleet. not a historic car, in fact, it has yet to go down the 1320. for sale in the classifieds

Attached Files:

4. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Not exactly what I want, but its a start:
    [​IMG]

That Crites hood, off to the passenger side, leaves no room to enlarge the opening, short of it coming into contact with the top portion of the fiberglass, and I'm not sure I want to risk screwing it up on the top!
    So, I'll slowly enlarge the hole a bit more, and then possibly after SEMA, work on something a bit more in line with the period look.

Dale

5. Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel
    from Texas

Thank God for Mercurys. I cant get enough of these cars. Thanks for sharing and putting a smile on my face. Hope to own 65 cyclone soon

6. Cshabang

Cshabang

a cut off wheel in a die grinder will cut through just the lower portion as long as you are careful...my uncle and father did both of theirs that way....

7. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;I think they did that because the FEs used the oval style air box.I've seen pictures of the ducts modified to fit various carb setups.I broke mine at Irwindale two weeks back as it sucked down over my velocity stack,oops. ROY.

8. Vern Christy

Vern Christy
    from Picton Ont

Just going through my pictures file & came across this one. Taken at Mohawk Dragstrip in 65 or 66

Attached Files:

9. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Thats a great shot.First time Ive seen that car painted blue.Looks like Late 64 season.I always thought it was painted red right after it was wrecked when it was white.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. 6deuce32yblock

6deuce32yblock

someone told me in an earlier post that this is the old spencer lincoln mercury car out of hampton, va. if so, then the white pic is how i remember it except for the sponsor logo , etc. had the hood in the white photo on it then also

11. 427 SOHC

427 SOHC
    from white, ga.

I am building a 65 altered wheelbase comet and i want to know if anyone has used the name crazy comet?

Thanks,

donnie

12. 65COMET

65COMET

Donnie;I don't recall ever seeing that name on a 65 Comet.I don't think it would matter much if it had been used,especially after 45 years. ROY.

13. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Try to spend some time researching it. Most likely, it'll be just great to use the name! When Steve Magnante and I built the Rampage Dart, he actually made every attempt to contact not only the family of Jack Sharkey, but the previous owners of Esserman Dodge. I say its best to make the try after hearing a vey recent story with a restored Mazmanian car, that had to have ALOT of lettering removed due to a misunderstanding. Can't wait to see your car!!!
    Dale

14. 427 SOHC

427 SOHC
    from white, ga.

How do i post photos!

15. Muttley

Muttley

Look Here

16. 65COMET

65COMET

Muttley;you bringing your Comet to the CHRR? ROY.

17. Roadagent2

Roadagent2

Johnny Cyclone, dyno'ed 351 Windsor, 485hp/489 ft lb out of Montreal.

Attached Files:

18. Muttley

Muttley

Unfortunately no, and I most likely wont even be going myself. I'm broke.

19. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Rolled out the Rocket, under gloomy skies. Believe me, I was not gloomy!! After making multiple back and forth passes up and down the business complex (lets just call it 100 yard drag racing, huh??!!) I let the staging brake fly, and tried to do a burnout. Huh? No power??!! Oops, forgot, its a full manual valve body. Gotta get used to that one!!! Lets try it again. Thats much better, a nice long double black stripe!!!!!!!

Gosh, it feels so good to actually do that after almost two years of building!!!!!!!!!

Let the good times roll!!!

Dale

20. 427 SOHC

427 SOHC
    from white, ga.

Attached is a shot of the comet as it was when i purchased it.
    Also, attached is a shot of my cammer motor when it was in my funny car. Yes, there is a funny car in the picture.

Thanks

donnie

Attached Files:

21. 65COMET

65COMET

Donnie;I had flash backs looking at the Comet,looks just like the one my friend built a few years back.I had to focus to see the funny car and cammer!! Pit Crew?!!! ROY. Muttley;sorry to hear that,I will probably go up Saturday for the day. ROY.

22. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Its actually running. The rear spring continue to settle, so I'll have to deal with that after some road time to bring the back end up. Its a little too nose high for me although some may think its alright:

[​IMG]

23. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;the "Rocket"looks great!! It may be a bit low in the back,but back then the stance was all over the place.Do you have the interior in?I can't tell by the picture.I can't wait to see it in person!!! ROY.

24. 427 SOHC

427 SOHC
    from white, ga.

Roy,

the comet is the one that you remember.
    It was built in southern ca.
    I purchased it from scott dapron in prescott, az.

Thanks,

donnie

25. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

26. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

27. 65COMET

65COMET

Donnie;WOW,that Comet has gotten around since John[Scrap Iron] sold it!!! What are your plans?John originally built it with a 427FE-4speed set up as a street car.It has bounced around and never been finished. ROY.

28. WOW, the comet stories just keep coming.
    Dale the Rocket looks awesome, hope to see some video of it laying down rubber.:D
    Donnie, 427OHC 65 comet is the coolest car. Look forward to more pics of your build.
    Roadagent anymore pics and how fast ate you running?
    Roger

29. 65COMET

65COMET

Roger;what are the plans for your Comet over the winter?It is so cool to see all these Comets getting out and on the track!!! It looks like I won't have to be the only one keeping the Mercury name alive at the drags!!!! ROY.

30. 65COMET

65COMET

Roadagent2;that is a great looking 65 Caliente.Is it a street legal car too? What transmission,rear end,etc.?It reminds me of mine years ago with the mags on the front and black steel wheels for the slicks. ROY.