Register now to get rid of these ads!

louver press blueprints

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheel shop, Jul 23, 2009.

1. wheel shop

wheel shop

Does anyone have a set of louver press blueprints?....I picked up some dies, and have seen some good setups on the internet,. but if there are blueprints out there, there is no point in re inventing the frame....Thanks for any info you might have

2. chumscustoms

chumscustoms

if you find some let me know
    i am also interested in some prints
    thanks guys

3. Few years back I drew up my press and sent them to a name I no longer see on the HAMB "Aussie Rob" if you can find him he may be able to help you out.

4. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

I just want to keep this on top. I dont know much about a louver press but would it be possible to make a few dies and rig something up on a standard shop press?

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Although it could be done I would think that you would have a difficult time keeping the dies perfectly aligned.

I've seen a lot of different presses either in person or in photos and the one thing they all have in common is that they are setup so that the dies mate up perfectly every time both dies being mounted solidly.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

6. Homemade44

Homemade44

7. wheel shop

wheel shop

I've seen some 'good time louver' presses on the net,...about a 48" throat....looks like a great set up ....I could figure it out and build it, just thought someone must have plans out there.......

8. Homemade44

Homemade44

9. wheel shop

wheel shop

his louver press looks exactly what I'm looking for in blueprints.....

10. wheel shop

wheel shop

Does anyone have blueprints for the old good time louver press or even the mittler bros sell a new setup that comes with blueprints?

11. This is a press I bought, not built. I do have plans to completely redo it's set up. I'm going to change the axle and coil overs to a more traditional style set up, have a few other plans for it as well. Figured pics may help you. Dies are the hardest part... so your ahead of the game. Rest should be pretty easy for ya. keep us posted as to your set up...always interesting!

Attached Files:

12. Ha, ole Newt sneaking in there.... firey bastard he is... Don't know how that happend?

Attached Files:

13. Hey nice rig there

14. jpm49c

jpm49c

In Rod & Custom March 2009 has an article how to make one. John

15. brady1929

brady1929

16. wheel shop

wheel shop

lots of good info on that link, thanks.....I already bought dies, but is there any detailed plans/materials that should be used....wouldn't mind a variety

17. brady
    thanks for the link.

18. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Have a set of dies we use, mostly in a 50 ton press brake, not to hard to set them up if you clamp them together on the downstroke before tightening things up.would think the same idea would work on most any type of press, as long as the gibbs are good.

19. Flatheaded

Flatheaded
    from Nordakoda

In the March 2003 issue of Street Rodder they had an article on how to make a stand with a punch/die set from Mittler Brothers. Pretty heavy duty stand. That's what I'm fashioning my stand after. Also check out www.rod-o-rama.com I remember seeing some really good photos of a simular press they built. If you need copies of either of these let me know, I think I still have them. Good luck!

20. wheel shop

wheel shop

finished my press, thanks for the input on design....works great! Built a box cover for my aluminum RPU

Attached Files:

21. Homemade44

Homemade44

You did a nice job on the press and the panel for the RPU. Glad you posted your results. Thanks.

22. good looking press...........

now lets see more of your truck.........

johnny

23. I would like to build one also

24. wow - nice job - hey like the shelf-o-projects you got there and are those a couple of Harleys in the background in pic#3 ?

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Lol, the whole thread of me building my press is on here...

Been working on my Louver Press...

Louver press upgrade... Interantional hood.

along with a bunch of other threads, like Kiwi Kev's

Built me a louver press.... and it works!

26. mj40's

mj40's

Zman, I noticed in your photos that you are using a color coating on the stamped side for set up. Is that something special so you can see your lines better? Do you mark your lines both directions for lineup and what do you mark it with?

27. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

After stripping both sides I shoot the back with ChemDye. Then I use a scribe to lay it all out. ChemDye is used by machinist for layout, it's real handy. And the scribe leaves a much cleaner more precise line. I lay it out length wise than the first few rows width wise. It gives me a start to get them all lined up, then I can make any adjustments as I go.

28. Hey wheel shop, lets see some pics of that bike thing hanging on the wall behind the louver press.

[​IMG]

29. Patdoody

Patdoody

where did you get your dies from?

30. Patdoody

Patdoody

n/m assuming you got them from mitler bros?

ratamahata likes this.