Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1935 Miller/Ford Indy Cars

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Feb 28, 2008.

1. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Here ya go, Ryan. Here is a bunch of pix of the Miller style replicas that I build.......http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/macmiller

mac miller in INDY

2. 37kid- thanks for the correction and sorry for the misinformation!

3. racer5c

racer5c

Do yourself a favor go to the Milwaukee Miller Meet in July!!!!

Attached Files:

4. racer5c

racer5c

When I resize these i will post more

Attached Files:

5. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

On checking out this thread I thought I would get my books on Miller out and have a flick through them. thumbing through the book, The Marvelous Mechanical Designs of Harry A Miller by Gordon Eliot White, produced by Iconografix Book; I came across the Frank Lockhart, Stutz Black Hawk Specail and was inspired to do some striping.
    By the way this is a must have book for any Miller enthusiast, featuring many great photographs!
    Geoff aka whodaky
    [​IMG]

6. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

7. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

"Restored" That's an interesting way of describing that particular car.

8. meangreen

meangreen

I love old race cars, especially the old Indy cars. In my opinion, it was the advent of rear-engine cars that eventually ruined Indy car racing...

Anyway, when I was a student at Indiana State University many years ago, we had a young instructor that occasionally drove an old two-seat Indy car to school! According to him, if memory serves me, it was built and raced with a Deusenberg engine in the 1930's. After WWII, the chrome grille shell was replaced with the round nose that was on it when I saw it. It supposedly was last raced at Indy in 1947 or '48. Then it sat for years with no engine. Finally, somebody put a flathead Ford V-8 and added lights, etc. to make it street legal. It was light metallic blue when I saw it, but that was not the original color. It would be interesting to know where it is now; it would be a good one to clone. As I recall, it had a shape similar to the Miller-Fords, but it was rear-wheel drive.

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Next...is there any real info around on the factory related racing flatheads of the thirties, either these Millers or the stock car racing '32-34's??
    On these Millers, I have NEVER found anything about the engines beyond what is visible externall...the oil coolers, magnetos, the two different intakes. What was inside??
    The stock car racers were equally mysterious...completely stock on outside, stock enough inside to pass the mandatory but probably unsophisticated teardown...
    The '33's in one race I have seen reports on lapped a split road/speedway track at about 80, topping out at exactly 100MPH on the long straight side. Probabbly not VERY tweaked to reach 100, but certainly noticeably hotter than a stock '33 with fenders discarded.
    It would be fascinating to find out anything about Miller's and Ford's thoughts in this first-generation flathead work.

10. Bruce,

What blows my mind is how quickly the early 21 stud flatheads ('33-'36) are passed up for not being easy to modify, etc. Now I know that speed parts for those blocks are hard to come by, but running at 80mph and taking the straights at 100mph for a distance race is pretty good in my book.

11. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah, you so funny! make big joke, haha! ;)

in fact, I think that it was just "re-restored" after being sold, so it must be 100% correct now.

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Brilliant.

13. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Here's my collection of stuff.........

Yes, The right stuff but just a collection of stuff :)

As you can see by the diff detail.

I sat in Ford's Ford it's a bunch smaller than you'd think........

Attached Files:

14. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

1927 Boyle Valve Spl Miller 91 'Tribute' Racecar
    just completed by Mac Miller Shop in Indy and shown at GGs 20th Hot Rod Nats @ Indy
    After some track time in the Mid West it will go West to live in Indio, CA

[​IMG]

15. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

More pix of this car and others at :

http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/macmiller

16. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

hey the indy Miller woudnt be that hard to build it even has a flathead! cograts by the way

17. My Dad and I knew Mark Dees from our years in the SCTA. Mark had a law degree, and handled the legal affairs for BNI/SCTA in the 60's. Mark spent most of his time at the family ranch in Santa Paula living in a barn where he had a fabulous collection of Miller parts and drawings. He was a Harry Miller fanatic, and spent many years of his life doing research for the Miller Dynasty book. I feel very fortunate that he gave my Dad and I signed copies of the book, and would mail us adendums from time to time as he continued his research until he died. Tragically he was killed on highway 126 near Santa Paula by a drunk driver a few years ago.

18. muroc 29

muroc 29

You are correct these are two of the 100 built by Richard Graves and Jack Plymell the bodies were hand formed aluminum by marcel and there were options such as polished frame and different paint schemes they where completed in 1991. The one pictured in the original thread is for sale now if any one is interested

19. miller91

miller91

I think this thread deserves some more pics

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just think if we had $10,000 in December 1949 we could have bought TWO of the MILLER/FORD cars!

Attached Files:

21. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

If you did have the 10 grand and knew about the shortcomings of the steering,what would you have done differently?

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Moved the box or sheilded it some how. Someone stuffed an OFFY in one and solved the problem that way.

23. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

I've often thought about this problem. Although the Offy transplant is a good move,if given the money and what i know today i would have kept the flathead but converted to something like Dick Landy did for Ron Mains Flatfire streamliner. Just dreaming ofcourse.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just got a copy of The last Great Miller by Griffith Borgeson. It is about #58 the FWD car. It is full of copies of Millers old letters, reciepts and statements and drawings. It isn't for any but the hardcore Miller fan but is full of information and insite.
    [​IMG]

25. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Mr48chev, Now that you have the book, would it be possible for you to type the whole book word for word and post it here.:rolleyes:

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

This the HAMB, we like photos too.:)

27. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

28. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

A close friend of mine has literally thousands of Leo Goosen's drawings for the Offy racing engines,from 1930 to 1980s, everything from rod details to complete engines and layouts of new cars, and he and I are thinking about producing calendars with these drawings. Is this something that most of you would consider buying? They would be high quality and not cheap.

Rex

29. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

I would be up for buying high quality copies of some of the more interesting prints. Something like the layout of a complete car or engine assemblies. Be careful how you handle those prints, I'm sure they are very delicate and probably could be damaged very easily.

Kurt O.

30. miller91,

Thank you AGAIN for the volume of info/photographs that you have added to the HAMB in such a short time!

Would you have a good shot of the dash for the Miller/Ford? I'm trying to find out what the four smaller gauges are (in order from left to right on the dash)? Al the ones I've found a just blurry enough that you can make out the speedo, but nothing else.

Thanks, Bill