Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Bob Roddick Story: Part 2

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

WOW............ I got chills reading this and looking at these pics.......
    Knowing that these pics were just discovered, makes one feel kinda like you just discovered King Tut's tomb.

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

One question: Whats the purpose of the large spun disc inboard of the front wheels? As seen in the 4th pic down...?

4. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Are those photos priceless or what?
    This really helped me to see these guys as true pioneers. To think of everything that has grown out of that period just staggers the imagination.
    By the way... What a scoop! I cant imagine how many of the mags want those pictures. They must be beating down the door!

5. Tbomb428

Tbomb428
    from SoCal

Simply awesome.

6. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

7. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Once again, thanks for sharing. To see those same mountains and that same salt with all of those legendary cars is amazing. I can only imagine what people will say about the Bonneville of today 50 years from now.

Why were the photos never developed? Were they just a roll in batch he never got around to? And just WHO is that little boy?

Thanks again, looking forward to next week...

8. Grrrreat pics Ryan, Awesome !!
    And that Kodachrome freshness makes it look like it happened only yesterday, but in reality it is more than half a century ago !!
    (am I an old fart ?.... that quick?:()

9. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Ryan and Bob's family...Thanks for sharing!

I didn't know you could develop film that was that old.

My parents have some old rolls laying around, I'm gonna round them up...Never know what you might find on them!

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

It's hard to describe just how cool those photos are. I still have chills from looking through them and reading the captions. Damn. A great "snapshot" in history, indeed.

Thank you.

Malcolm

11. Outstanding!!!!! I can't imagine the anticipation of developing that film, that had to be some stress. I had to go back through every picture 3 and 4 times, just so much to soak up. Thanks a million Ryan and Roddick family. The color is unbelievable and makes it such a treasure. If ya don't throw yer fifty bucks this way for a membership, ya gotta be some kinda tight. We keep gettin' such quality, IMO, from Ryan and a lot o' the other hands on this place (ya know who ya are), and they don't hold ya hostage ta have access ta any of it. It's not about the dollar, and most here get it. Thanks again to everyone involved, keep it comin', can't wait.

12. Gearhead Dude

Gearhead Dude

Thanks for the hard work of all involved. I don't post often, but check in throughout the day because of articles like this. Great job!

13. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

14. Firetop

Firetop
    from chicago

Thanks again Ryan. Simply awesome.This just keeps getting better. We are all a priviledged group thanks to you. Cant wait for the rest....keep up the great work!!!

15. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

So cool to see these photos out and being shared.

16. Terry

Terry

Awesome, simply awesome. I love this place for the HAMB, but it's stuff like this, that makes me come back over and over.

I can't help but think somewhere way in the future someone will be going through a box of old photos and say look there is a picture of the green gernade, or the Tardell / Cockran Coupe, or maybe Big Olds, or any other number of cars here. And maybe they'll say "look he's wearing the Jalopy Journal Coat".

These guys problably didn't realize they were making history .... are we?

17. slapshot

slapshot
    from Belgium

WOW !!!!!!

thank you for this write up !!!!!

can't wait for next week !

18. Rand Man

Rand Man

Now that's quite a time capsule. The disc on the spindle is just the innner wheel cover. It doesn't spin.

19. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Ryan,
    These pics ought to be made into book. In one of the shots, one can even catch the tail section of the Eddie Miller Pontiac Powered Streamliner, currently owned by Don Ferguson Jr. I am glad that these exist.
    Thanks for telling his story.

20. sodas38

sodas38

Great article Ryan, my favorite series so far. Anyway in heck we can see better pics of this car..........."It’s the class ‘C’ modified coupe ran by John Browning"...........?

That stubby little belly tank is pretty wicked too.

21. oaktree

oaktree

I see a book coming. Great work. Love the color photos of the cars in those days. Makes it easy to relate to today.

22. Elrod

Elrod

Truely awesome!!! These are the pictures and the cars that I loose sleep over!

In picture 3, the black roadster in the background says Norwalk on the back deck lid.

Is this just a different angle of the Robinson & Zabel class C roadster? I ask, because in your wide shot, the Boren and Keldrank sedan is not present.

23. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and customs to hoodlums world wide...

Truer words were never spoken! I'd also like to see a book sometime! Geez, Ryan, with your talent and resources, sign me up for a signed copy of the Cochran Chronicles!:D

24. Hans

Hans

What do you say to a entry like this?

We are watching hot rod history preserved before our very eyes!

I would love some more info./pics. of the Tom Cobbs coupe and the John Browning coupe.

You guys got any?

25. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

That lad looks to be about 5-6 years old. That would put him about 62-63 year old now. I'm 63 and wish it were me that was in that photo. What a memory that would have been. I remember a lot of things from that age so I'm sure that young man might just remember being there on the salt that year. Amazing!!
    That would be cool if he could be identified and he was still around to share his recollections.

Frank

26. Rolo

Rolo
    Alliance Vendor

Wow. Simply amazing. Put me on the waiting list for the book ;)

27. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I am totally blown away by the latest photos, thank you for sharing them!

28. THOMAS S&C

THOMAS S&C

WOW, that's all that I can say!!

29. Wesley

Wesley

words escape me,,, all that comes to mind is WOW!

Thank you Ryan for your dedication to this project.

30. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

OK. Ya Got Me! I've been procrastinating and haven't joined up as an Alliance Member. Your post got me to do it. I'm no longer a Grenade Inspector!