Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Desoto Engine Swap 413 cuin?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hornet7007, Sep 4, 2012.

1. hornet7007

hornet7007

I have a complete drive train from a 1960 Chrysler Imperial. It is a 413 cu in wedge motor and push button tranmission. I would like to put this in my 1951 Desoto Convertible which original came with a 251 6 cylinder.

Yes or No, Any Ideas?

Will it Fit?

Has anybody done a conversion like this before?

Any feedback would be appreicated?

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Will it fit? 2 possible answers. 1st of course it will not fit, they are completely different 2nd answer if you are an expert mechanic with a shop full of tools and an unlimited budget it's a piece of cake. One of those TV guys would do the job over the weekend.

Seriously, if you have to ask it is probably too big a job for you. Don't overmatch yourself.

Best advice I can offer is if you really want a car with 413 and automatic sell that car and buy a newer one. It will be way easier and cheaper.

If you want to do the conversion expect to spend 6 months IF you work on it every day but 9 chances out of 10 it will never get done. Plus $2000 in parts and materials IF you do the bulk of the work yourself. If you intend to hire somebody, it will be $5000 or more and you will probably be disappointed in the result.

Plus when you get finished the car will be worth LESS than it is right now, and almost impossible to sell.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

On the question of whether anyone has done this before. So far as I know nobody has ever put a 413 in a 51 DeSoto. I know of a few guys who have put 318s and 360s in similar cars, that's how I know what you will be up against.

Don't take my word for it. Go to this web site and search around. There are several threads by guys doing similar jobs. I think one even got his car running.

www.P15-D24.com - Powered by vBulletin

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

There is a thread on this board about putting a Chev 409 in a 53 DeSoto. I think the thread is called "I traded my truck for aDeSoto" or something like that. He could give you a few tips. He'll probably have his running in a few more weeks if he sticks with it.

5. as long as your oil pan clears the steering linkage mounts should be easy.

6. hornet7007

hornet7007

Thanks, I was just checking on the possibility. It is a free engine and transmission so it does hurt to ask the question before I do a lot of research and spend a lot of money needlessly. I am probably going to stick to the original engine rebuild and keep it stock.

I appreciate the advice.

Thanks

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I started to put a 64 413 down in a 52 Chrysler but never could find a truck rear sump oil pan so I gave up,this was in the days before a computer and could probably find all the parts I needed now so a friend ended up with it and put a six back in it.

8. I'm gonna throw my 2 pennies in on this one...

That engine is gonna have to sit pretty low for the carbs to sit In the engine compartment and even then I foresee the inner fenders getting hacked to bits so the carbs will essentially be in the wheel wells. The engine compartments in these moparts are extremely narrow in comparisson with the 60's Chrysler that engine was born in.

That being said, a front clip swap or even a frame swap, rack and pinion steering and some creativity with the inner fenders and you might be close.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You seem to assume the 413 engine has the 'criss-cross' ram induction. I see no mention made of that. It was not standard equipment on just any 413 Mopar built. The OP's freebie engine is most likely a single 4 bbbl.

As for compartment width, the '52 models got the DeSoto hemi in that same space, as '51's and '52's are virtually identical body/chassis.

I am NOT saying he should put the 413 in his car, only that it isn't such a stretch to imagine doing it as several posters seem to think. Afterall, these engines in 383RB/413/426/440 were both factory installed, and independently swapped, into some fairly compact Mopars over the years.

I do agree with the post that says "if you gotta ask, maybe you shouldn't tackle it"......but that is not to say an experienced builder couldn't or shouldn't do it.

Ray

10. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Problems: fairly narrow between the coils, big steering box. Custom exhaust and Caviler rack and pinion will make it work. Oil filter needs relocation.

Or, front-stub it with a 80's Dakota clip.

Check the P-15/D24 forum - I think member Tim Adams there has a Mopar 383 in a late 40s Dodge, same original motor. Also HAMBer 4Woody is working on something like this. It's very tight but possible.

11. My bad on the cross ram... I guess I just figured that if you weren't going with the cross ram I didn't see the point in going through the trouble of the swap. It would definitely set the whole thing off.