Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage anyone else counting the days till HERSHEY? the sweetest swapmeet on earth !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skidmarks, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

I know a kid last year with a pedometer who walked all the rows over a three day period. Says it was slightly over 30 miles.

Yeah, Stop and see those cool kat hotrodders in the red field...RCL 28-29

2. prpmmp

prpmmp

Hey Skidmarks!! Not far from you in West Grove Pa. What is your space number? I stop to shoot the shit if your not busy!! Pete

3. chiro

chiro

Made my hotel reservations for both Carlisle and Hershey this past week. Unfortunately, Thursday is the only day I can do either show due to working. I have made a science out of being able to do both meets each in a single day. It isn't as enjoyable as having the leisurely stroll through that each deserve, but at least I get there and usually walk away with the parts I'm looking for.

And yes...I AM a marathon runner, but I don't do the richard simmons work-out gear to walk the meets. Just my marathon shoes. LOL

Andy

4. F&J

F&J

A question for those that have gone there for 20-25 years; Is there still a fair amount of early 30's parts and show cars?, or has that age group of owners died out?

5. noboD

noboD

I'd say there are still lots of parts, not near as many NOS though. The vendors that have T shirts and crap is making it harder to find what you want too. Lots of people blame ebay for the reduction of good stuff. I blame the fact there are lots of cars being saved and put back together, cars that 20 or 30 years ago would have been parted out. This year there's going to be special horseless carriage display on the showfield. Pre-15 cars that are not nessacarily show cars but used more for touring, for display only no judgeing.

6. Lots of everything!:eek: Can't Wait:D:D:D:D:D:D

7. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

I cannot wait I have so many parts to get its gonna be great as always

8. F&J

F&J

I stopped going before they made that class.

It's probably a true look at "history" rather than the way the early cars were "restored" in the 70s-80s with low priced cars like chevys and essex all dolled up with Lester ultra wide whites and searchlights, etc....not to mention incorrect two tone paints in wild colors that never happened.

Hey, just like history gets rewritten on traditinal hot rods :)

Some of the guys on the AACA website called those overdone cars as "clown cars" and then the moderators spank them:D

But Hershey always drew the best of the best restos, looking for that "Hershey Senior Winner" grill badge.

9. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I'm going with my t-shirt.

10. 1lucky1

1lucky1
    from Morgan NJ

Going on Wednesday,Listen for the Cowbell! Lucky

11. noboD

noboD

Actually, it's HPOF, historic preservation of original features. Other driver quality class is DPC, driver participation class. HPOF cars have to be a recentage of original, numbers vary who you talk to. The original purpose of HPOF was to help restorers. If someone wanted to know where a pinstripe was from the factory or how an interior piece should fit records were to be kept of who's car had these original features. WIth lots of cars in this class it wasn't followed up on. It is also one of my favorite classes. Believe it or not, until last month many HPOF cars couldn't get antique license in PA. I have one, mostly original paint and chrome, not near perfect but it will stay that way. Pa. wouldn't give me an antique license because it wasn't shiney!

12. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I'll be there to continue my quest for Shoebox Ford parts I need ... or something else cool that I don't need :) - can't wait !!!

13. I'll be there for the first time. I can't wait!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. Flop

Flop

ohhh man cant wait . never been this excited for hershey before!!! 8th year in a row for me !

15. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Its a good idea to bring a old grocery cart or something like that with large tall soft tires.A wagon is good if you plan on fenders and the like.Most guys will let you leave your purchase with them for the day but make sure you write down the space # or you will never find it again!!

Good shoes,lots of small bills,sunglasses and a hat. Cool in the morning then it heats up.I remember the mud days and dont miss them at all(except the cheaper deals).Wear a hamb shirt and make your presents known!!

16. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

17. motion corvette

motion corvette
    from CT

First post and first time down to Hershey (just did the Corvettes @ Carlisle event)! Hope I can find a 55 belair down there?

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

HERSHEY! It really is a big part of my life I'm happiest when I'm there, haven't missed one since I started in 1969. Lots of changes over the years, so many GREAT memories, killer deals on stuff in the early years, stuff I also missed out on. The memories of everyone I've known in the hobby are there that week. Both our kids went to Hershey before their first birthday. This year is very special, my Grandson will be there for his first Hershey before his first birthday. I'll have a HAMB banner to sign as in years past at my corner spaces C4J-41-42, Brookville is on the other side, and a good food vendor is across from us. You can store parts during the day and save a trip to your car during shopping time. For you new HAMB members ChevyGirlRocks, Megan collects all the info and space numbers and prints out a directory of HAMB Members with Hershey spaces, do a search and find last years info. Thank You in advance Megan! Money..........start making extra money, having some makes for a better Hershey, but I can tell you just walking around meeting old friends and making new ones and looking at row upon row of cars and parts will be the best few days in your year. Bob

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  19. fonti

fonti

I'm thinking about making the trip to Hershey from Switzerland. How is the quality of cars that are for sale? I would like to buy an El Camino or Ranchero..., a friend of mine is looking for an original C1 Corvette or a Chevy 60' muscle car...
    or is Carlisle better for that?
    thank you HAMBer for the advise for a Swiss farmer ;-)

20. jreeder41

jreeder41

Carlisle tends to have more of the 60's and up cars but the quality of the ones at Hershey are generally better. You can possibly do both if your schedule allows you the time.

21. I'll go if the weather is favorable. Nothing worse than driving 2 1/2 hours only for it to rain 10 mins previous and show up for fields of blue tarps.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Many people come over from Europe and buy cars, there is a shipping company on the field that will arrange shipping. Bob :)

23. This will be my 40th year spending the week at Hershey and like (The37kid ) said "I am happiest when I'm there". It is worth the trip from anywhere in the world...IMO.

24. white64

white64
    from Maine

STILL TRYING TO DECIDE TO FLY IN OR DRIVE DOWN! Flying is quicker, but on the way back TSA get their panties in a wad with all that old metal stuff in my bags!

25. mramc1

mramc1

I'll be there in the Red Field near the stadium. Look for the white Ford Econoline van next to the old Air Stream trailer. I will be selling NORS and used OEM grilles for 1936-1942 cars. I have most makes and some rare stuff like Lafayette, 8 cyl Olds, Desoto, alot of GM and Mopar stuff. Look for a sign above the van on a pole that will say GRILLES.

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going again. Been there (again) since 07 and have no plans of missing it ever again. I started going in 90, had to give up in the mid 90s. I always get a space and usually try to stay at Highmeadow Campgrounds just up the road. I may try selling some items this year, more than what I usually do. Changed spaces too. I'm in CU54 thru CU57 with a group of friends. More central than the green field I've been in. Huge doesn't begin to describe it. You will not see it all so make the best of what you do get to see. As far as tons of empty spaces, uh, where? Some of the outer fields maybe, but there's still more than your senses will allow. It's not just a swap meet, it's an adventure.

Walking shoes, check

Umbrellas, check

Parts to sell, check

Space, check

Cash, yes, no checks accepted:D

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  27. josh highley

josh highley

I can't wait. I will be their this year for the first time! Going with a good friend that has been there several times.

28. chopped30

chopped30
    from ohio

Can't make Hershey but have my spaces for Carlisle. Will be bringing a neat 49 Crosley project to sell with me this year. Someday I will make sure I get to Hershey.

29. busch167

busch167

Will be there starting Wed. must take my small enclosed trailer (6" x 14"). Last year by Friday night we almost did not get the door closed, there were 4 of us there and it was filled with Chevy, Jeep and woody parts (if it got cold we could have a fire):D