Register now to get rid of these ads!

New 32 Ford 5 window steel bodys!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deuceroger, Nov 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just got back from the Sema show and met up with the the owner of the new 32 5 window thats going to be produced. The complete body should be done in Jan or Feb next year. The only part I didnt like was all the scanning and measuring was done in the U.S, but all the stamping is going to be done in China. The body is roughly going to be around 22,000.

[​IMG]

2. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

Saw that as well.I,ll reserve judgement until I see a complete body.

RIP ED

3. I'd guess that, without an amazing amount of tooling (like Brookville) or inside access to some of the shops that supply OE manufacturers, stamping it here would cost a fortune.

Sounds like someone with a great idea is finding a way to make it happen. We'd probably all prefer it be produced here but at least he is making it happen.

"Made in China" can result in quality. Not ususally perhaps, but it is possible.

Can't wait to see it done.

JH

4. I like that people/companies are taking more initiative but for that much $ why wouldn't you go with the Made in USA one....? Not that it matters to me seeing how both options are WAY out of my league.

5. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

I'd like to see it done. One of my concerns is with over seas quality of metal. Our supplier switched over to an over seas manufacturer of steel and it was garbage, they said they had numerous complaints about it so they switched back to US made steel. Guess we'll see when it comes out.

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Great... a chinese deuce...

7. If they have a space program they shuld be able to build '32 5 window bodies. Where we get in trouble is not specifying what we need, inspection, and pushing the price too low.

Charlie Stephens

8. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Might as well, everything else is "Made in China", thanks to our Government.

9. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

It said "Same thickness or thicker than original". It didn't have any inner panels, but what was there would go a LONG way at repairing all the junked out bodies out there. This is the ONLY current manufacturer of steel 5-Window doors, quarters and cowls- a USA alternative isn't available. The stuff that was shown looked 10,000 times better than the complete CRAP those guys from Dearborn Deuce tried to sell as a 3-Window a few years ago. Not one body line was even close and each panel looked like it was pounded out by cavemen with stone tools. They were "American Made" crap!

10. ScottV

ScottV

In my business I see alot of products from China. The "crap" from China is that way because of quality control (or lack thereof). I like everyone else would have to reserve judgement until I see the product, but would also say it could be great if the build process is closely monitored and quality is governed. I hate the idea of it being "Made in China" but there really is not a New Made in the USA choice at the moment. Will I buy one ? Probably not unless I win the Lottery. I am huge Duece 5 window fan and it is nice to know the option is there.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll reserve judgment until I see one but it would be interesting to see if they intend to offer individual body panels.
    The body it's self is out of my price range no matter where it will be made.

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The reason it's made in China is that it probably only cost 3K to make and ship and the designers / importers can pocket major proffits even with discounts to their distributers and dealers. If they sold it at a "reasonable" mark up, these new bodies would be no more expensive than a glass body and anyone who wants one could get one. That would be the single greatest thing about imported stuff. But NO, the greedy bastards just keep raping us by charging the same amount it would cost if made in the US.

I knew a guy who imported model trains. He ordered enough to keep an entire Chinese toy factory making just his stuff. When someone asked what his personnel costs were, he said 50K per year. That 50K was't just for the President of the factory, it was for everyone in the entire fucking plant. He sold his stuff for less than the competition and made a ton. He could have sold them for half that price and still made a ton.

That's why stuff is made in China. And why we keep paying out the ass for it. They make it cheap there, but sell it here at a price that is equal to what it would cost "if" it WAS made in America. These guys put Americans out of jobs and make more profit than ever. There are lots of rod parts made off shore... and we just keep buying them. Especially if they are "cool." The cooler they are, the less frequently we turn them over and see where they were made.

Errrrrrrrr. Hit a sore spot with me. Gary

13. rgaller

rgaller

"Chinks", huh? Very classy.

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Amen. Before I got married, I used to have a close personal relationship with someone who was head of quality control at a Chinese company that manufactured high-tech electronic wastegates and valves for the oil industry.
    The reason there is so much junk coming out of China, is because THATS exactly what the AMERICAN based companies that peddle the junk are asking for. They dont go over there and say "who can turn out a quality product for me to export back to the US?" They go over there and say "who can do this for me the cheapest, so I can maximize my per unit profit?"
    Simple matter of supply and demand, and the demand is for cheap junk.

15. studematt

studematt

I won't own a foreign car let alone buy a deuce made in china at any price. I think I just heard Henry Ford roll over in his grave.

16. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Good news-----I prefer the five window

17. Pez

Pez

Looked into this regards to replica cars a while back, think it is a very short time from end of production, 3 or 5 years springs to mind, then replica's can be made.....

Happens all the time in the, I'll use those swear words words, kit car world, how many Cobras are out there?
    Using registered brand names and logo's is a no no.

Ford would have dropped the hammer years ago if there was any detriment or legal issues, you could buy GRP 32 roadster bodies, T bodies back in the 50's

18. tradrod

tradrod

This thread may get "locked down", but there is alot of truth to the previous threads....just sayin'

19. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

haaaaa a chinese duece. reminds me of a bowel movement after some bad eggfooyung,

buying a chinese 32 ford, is like knowingly having sex with a transexual." its pretty gay.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  20. Pez

Pez

I deal with China everyday and have been there many times. Not car related products..
    I agree, if you buy cheap, you get get cheap, there are lots of damn good quality products made there, but very rare to see them in your stores as the margin would to small or the price to high.
    I operate across the range, as some customers want price and others want top quality, and the awkward ones want both.
    On a more topical note, steel 5 windows where on the drawing board (or should that be monitor) for European production, don't know if it still ongoing, the economic down turn (see, I did not swear or mention banks) could have slammed the brakes on for now.

21. racemad55

racemad55

My chevy Equinox motor-made in china!

22. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

A lot of the previous post have just about covered the spectrum of the obvious questions/rants/speculations. However, until we see a 'finished/ready for sale" unit it's just jaw flapping. I'm a little sad to see this one come to fruition as I own an original and foolishly thought that this was one that WOULDN'T be reproduced. I should have been realistic in my expectations as the roadster and 3w have been successful in a reproduction offering so why not the 5w.:( I would have, however, offered it in a chopped version as I don't see a big demand for a stock height 5w. we'll most likely see them being offered chopped by some of the metal wizards just like the 3w if they are able to get their hands on the stampings like Brookville offers. Can you imagine the price of a chopped body if you have to pay $20,000+ and THEN pay to have it chopped? I'm thinking bye bye $30,000 delivered to your door.

Frank

23. Greasers C.C.

Greasers C.C.
    from Philly

24. Harms Way

Harms Way

Sooooo,... I guess I'm safe with my 33 Buick,... Huh ?
    Speaking of the Buick,... I have made a decision concerning that car,...

If nobody is going to buy it !, I ain't gonna sell it !!!!,... No sense in trying to talk me out of it dog-gone-it !,... thats just the way its gonna Be ! :D

Oh yeah,... on the Deuce 5/W,.... I am looking forward to seeing a finished product.

25. RobsHemiA

RobsHemiA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys that are jumping up and down about where this thing will be stamped maybe should take a close look around your homes . Most of what you own was made in China , Taiwan , Korea etc .

The quality does come down to what is specified to the manufacturer . I'd be more outraged by what they are charging for one of these bodies !

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hard to believe anyone is considering a Chinese torture for want of the elusive 5-window Deuce. At twenty thousand deflated American dollars, yet!
    For the folks in denial of typical Chinese materiele and quality control flaws, reconsider after close scrutiny of most (if not all) stainless, billet, and other 'high tech' items from there.
    Only Twenty thousand dollars. F.O.B. from China with love...

27. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

As dollar aware as Henry Ford was it would be interesting to see what his take would be if he could have parts made (considerably) cheaper outside the USA rather that made in Michigan.

They will be offering these pieces separately- and like I said- the parts will end up saving A LOT of gennie '32 coupes. People can even stop cutting up nice 4-doors to cobble together a coupe! :)

The quarters and doors I saw looked pretty damn nice.

28. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

22-large for a bare repop shell?? No thanks.

29. turdytoo

turdytoo

Let's say the stampings are made in China, and the bodies are assembled in the U.S. also making repair parts previously unavailable, available. How different will these cars be from what you now have if it has some Speedway or say Vintique parts in / on it?

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Goes without saying the seams will be leaded.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.