Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Restored Supermodified

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roostasix, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Nice work, Love them modifieds, I'm building a vintage dirt modified.

2. Harold Lindsey of Wichita Falls getting one done.

[​IMG]

3. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

Looks like it real close to being done, Can't wait to see it finished.

4. I'm so busy I don't even have time to pull out my 2 and post them here. Believe me, there's a lot more down here I haven't even seen ...............yet.

5. Rick Sipes of sunset screen printing in tucson has a couple that look alot like this.....call him

6. weathrmn

weathrmn

I would have liked to see and hear Jim Shampine's 8ball run with that injected 427 Ford.

7. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

I remember those days, sights ,sounds and smell growing up at the O. Here is a pic of the 1971 version. It was the last year Jim ran a ford.
    Also there is a shot of the display we have out at the NSHOF in Knoxville Iowa. It will be there though fall. Its called the "Salute to Supermodifieds"......Definatly worth seeing.
    The 1976 version of the 8 ball has been restored and is owned by Jim Paternoster . If you go to www.jakessite.com there is a real nice tribute to Jim Shampine as well as other greats.-Tom

Attached Files:

8. Now with paint,
    [​IMG]

9. And now the 38 Special! This is my Uncles car, might be a Nance/Edmunds copy. So I decided "what the hell", put a Nance/Edmunds body on it! It's looking better all the time, like having a new girlfriend that's prettier and sweeter than your last one!

[​IMG]

10. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

Real nice! Should come together real well with paint and Graphics!-Tom

11. I still believe supers are the sexiest race cars ever...........Thanks, Mike

12. dizzy66devil

dizzy66devil

My buddy Russ has a bunch fo SMART cars they are supermodified from the northern Minn I have restored the red vega in the picks

Attached Files:

13. I built the chassis' for 13 of those cars. The red Vega was my personal car and the first one built.

Here it is with its second owner.

Attached Files:

14. dizzy66devil

dizzy66devil

Over top of the VW gas tank is a cover with that on it, that it was the first smart car built. Another guy up here Dennis has one to and another buddy Dave had one but sold it. I have raced the Vega lots and love driving it. It handles really nice. The Gremlin is a bit of a pig to drive and Russ enjoys driving his T.

15. I didn't do the suspension on the Gremlin. :D

Russ and Dennis are frequent visitors to my place.

16. Another view of the 38Special

[​IMG]

17. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

Thats cool Brian,:cool:....kind of curious to what the white #15 in the backround is? -Tom

18. Drive Em

Drive Em

This is my uncle Willie Nunez at the wheel at the old Horizon Speedway outside of El Paso, Tx. in '66. The car was originally built by Johnny Caples when he lived in Albuquerque, Nm., and had won the Albuquerque track championship the year before. Jim Yearwood bought it from Johnny and my uncle drove it for a couple of seasons. I do not know what happened to this car. I have the original blueprints for this car and plan to build a replica of it one of these days:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  19. Drive Em

Drive Em

This is a picture of my uncle Willie Nunez at Manzanita Speedway in 1975. The car was actually a 90" super modified that he installed a sprint tank on and ran with the sprint cars at Manzy. He ran the car with a carburetor on gasoline and won a few features against the likes of Buddy Taylor and Bob Ream. The black bubble on the hood in front of the hood scoop is an old van plexiglass side window installed to cover the 17" steel fan that he ran to keep the 400 Chevy cool during daytime shows in the Arizona and Texas heat. I have the car and have been restoring it for a couple of years.

[​IMG]

Here is a shot of the car in Supermodified form at the old Autodromo Speedway in Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico in '76. He won three champinships with this car in 1975:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009

20. That car is an '87 Nance sprint roller. I have it covered up and waiting to get it inside. It's the newest race car I'll have for a while.

21. Neat car. What was the wheelbase on these? 90"?

22. Drive Em

Drive Em

90" according to the blueprints. The prints I have from about 1963 show what appears to be a Chrysler Wedge engine in the car.

23. Is the "Golden Greek" the same car ?

Attached Files:

24. Drive Em

Drive Em

It sure looks similar.

25. mow too much

mow too much

Love these cars, I worked for Bill Lewis as a kid who raced at the O.K.C. fairgrounds in the 60s.

26. Drive Em

Drive Em

I was told today by Van May that the "Golden Greek" was what the car was named when Johnny Caples owned it, and then he sold it to my uncle Willie Nunez.