Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Restored Supermodified

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roostasix, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Our supermodifieds were good enough to take on the REAL INDY CARS! USAC/NCRA showdown-

[​IMG]

2. Harolds other car, like Roostasix, it is a Parson

[​IMG]

3. Kim Fairbanks of Enid, Ok

[​IMG]

4. There are several more out there that are being done. It is a matter of lighting a fire under some of those guys..........and mine.

Hopefully an OkC date for these cars could get things going again.

5. Anybody remember this one ??? >>>>.

Attached Files:

6. The Holy Grail of Kan/Ok/Tex supermodifieds!

7. From racingfromthepast. I keep hoping someday I'll come upon a tree covered race car with a hint of blue and a 55 on at least one side. Most old race car gearheads don't have a computer, much less know about these sites. It only takes the one person to speak up, but a lot of effort and miles to hunt.

[​IMG]

8. Brian26 I'll take that as a yes >>>>.

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Mid 70s Arizona super, used as a test bed for the Total Seal piston ring co. in their early days. 100 inch Stapp chassis.

Attached Files:

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found this in a farmers field about 20 years ago. It was pretty complete (CAE in/out box, Frankland quickie, Buick finned drums, etc.), but had no engine. Bought a '54 331 for $29 at the Chickashaw swap meet the year of the Halloween bizzard ('91). Ran the engine stock for a couple of years before I spun a bearing. I then went all the way and had the engine redone with 12.5 JE pistons, an Engle roller tappet cam, a Cirello "Frankenstein" magneto and a couple of 2GC's adapted to a dual quad intake manifold. The thing runs fabulous. So I get this all done, and I find the detailed history of the car. It was built in 1965 in Jackson, MN and was track champion at Jackson and Fairmont in '66 and '67, driven by a guy name Jack McCorkell, who was quite a sprint car driver in the midwest in the '70's and '80's. It was also the Minnesota State Stock Car Champion (whatever that means) in 1966. I also found out it ran a '324 Olds engine back in the day. Through a bunch of dumb luck, I have managed to compile a 2 inch thick pile of documentation for this car. Old race programs, a two page article from the Jackson paper in June of '66, etc.

I met one of the two brothers who built the car (who has since passed on) and got permission from him to run the original lettering and colors from him. He authenticated the car, as did a bunch of his nephews and grandchildren. I had it on display at the Minnesota State Fair this year, and was amazed by how many people from southern Minnesota still recognized the car.:)

I now have an Olds engine in the shop, but I don't know what I'm going to do since the Hemi runs good and strong, and with what I've done to the hemi, it's not good for anything other that racing.:D

I've had a lot of fun with this, but with fuel prices, racetrack insurance and all, I may be all done. I prepared to go to three vintage races this last summer, but all three were cancelled at the last minute because of low car counts.:mad: Oh well, I can always fire it up at night and annoy the neighbors.:)

Attached Files:

11. That is pretty bad! I like those AZ/NM supers.

12. Very good find. How much on average did it cost to go to these shows? For example, your share of the insurance.

I'd leave the Hemi in there. Since you are the guy that rescued it, and pay the bills, and since there is an Olds on the stand just in case---well it is your car and it is an excellant peice just like it is. Having fun is the big thing.

Crazy how you can drag a piece out of a field, build it with what you have, what you can get, take it somewhere and the first person who used to work on it states all of the wrong things, and gives a fair credit. "Hey man, at least the car moves and people know you used to drive it"!

13. nitram22

nitram22
    from California

This car?:
    [​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I figure that a weekend show will set me back about $500.00, with food, fuel for the motorhome and car, and of course, some beer for the saturday night bonfire after the races. (One guy has a T-shirt that says "The older I get, the faster I was"). Even though I'm on a fixed income now, it's not the cost so much, but the cancelled dates that are drivng me crazy.:(

15. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Thats sweet.... Really Sweet..
    Dave

16. Stone

Stone

cool pics and stories

17. Jiggs Founds from Amarillo, same as roostasix's home town,

[​IMG]

18. You guys have some badass supers out there!

[​IMG]

19. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Anybody have any info on this? Has what looks like old ford cast iron drums.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. stagernwings

stagernwings
    from tx

Any chance some of these cars will show up in wichita the 24th .c

21. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

You would think that some of the older home made Texas Supers from the sixties,Longview Racing Bowl, Tyler, and Devils Bowl would have survived. I've seen some restored 60's era New England supers at shows up here.
    when i was in texas (boot camp) , i had a chance to drive a chevy powered / 6 duces on it . what a kick !!! ........................ steve

22. Gentlemen, THESE are the most beautiful automobiles in the world!
    It's all about function,and ingenuity. Thank you for this thread. Mike

23. Drive Em

Drive Em

I am in the process of restoring a 90" super that my uncle Willie Nunez built and raced back in the mid 70's. He won three track championships with it in '74 at Sun Bowl Speedway in El Paso, Tx., Sertoma Speedway in Las Cruces, NM. and Autodromo Speedway in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. He also raced it as a sprint car at Manzanita Speedway in Phoenix, Az. on gasoline with a carburetor, and won several features in this configuration. What was unique about this car was that it utilized a Panhard bar instead of a watts link. I also know the whereabouts of a super that Mario Fuentes raced in the Kansas/ Oklahoma super wars in he late 70's. That car was built by Ken McDaniel. He won the Western World Championship with that car in '78 on the 1/4 mile track at Manzy.

24. Miss Patty

Miss Patty
    from Indy

This is our friend Chuck Faulkners 100" Nance Super

jungle park 2004 014.jpg

jungle park 2004 015.jpg

jungle park 2004 020.jpg

GenIIIRacing likes this.
  25. Let's just say there is a concerted effort to get more this year than before!

26. Slowpoke- Never saw that brand. Still it's cool! I'd snatch that up in a hurry if i were you.