Register now to get rid of these ads!

World's Fastest Indian-pics needed!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by red sled, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Specifically, just the bike/frame without the fairing.
    Also interested in other bikes of similar type. I've got a "project" in mind.
    Thanks, all.

2. thesupersized

thesupersized

i dont have any pictures, but try the jockey journal, people over there could probably help you out better.

3. noboD

noboD

I did a gooogle on Burt Munro and theres' a good side view of the bike on rides.webshots.com of the bike without the fairing.

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

5. nutter

nutter

the bike is on show in a bike museum in Hamilton New Zealand you might be able to contact them as well they have half of the fairing on so you can see bith sides will try & find out more info

97 likes this.
  6. OLLIN

OLLIN

theres a few threads on here already. Axle might have some pics as well from when he threw his motorcycle show. Its really a work of art under the faring. I helped the guy load it on his truck and got to see it up close.

7. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

Before & after the WAY OVER resto:eek::eek: was done. They should have left it alone.

Attached Files:

8. jfrolka

jfrolka

Paint!? they ruined it!!!!!

9. These any use?

I took em at VLV last year...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. av8

av8

Here a couple of views of the 'prop' bike I shot on location during filming of "WFI." It was claimed that it was a faithful copy of Burt's Indian at the time depicted in the movie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If these are of any use to you, I have larger tif images I can e-mail to you.

Mike

11. A32Flathead-Bravo! Outstanding pics. Just what the bodger ordered! Thanks!!

12. CanyonCarver

CanyonCarver
    from So-Cal

I agree that the restoration is over the top. Burt probably never had the bike look much better than a beater... But it ran like a raped ape! Beat movies on the topic by the way. I was lucky enough to meet the director; the guy is so hooked that he put a lot of his own money in the film...

13. I wonder how much of the original bike was left-I can see several things that were changed.:mad:

14. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

They may not have been changed in the resto, remember Burt raced this bike for years after the movie depicts, so he himself probably did most if not all the changes on this bike. As racers feel the need to go faster, they upgrade and change things. It's the natural progression of the sport.

15. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

A friend of mine did that resto in the 80's.His name was Dean Hensley.He was confined to a wheel chair.Unfortunatly ,that is what people did back then for restorations.A lot of original bikes got "restored".Today ,you would have left it alone.He use to bring it to meets and fire it off.
    Dean unfortunatly died in a car accident in 92.
    There was another bike that was used as a mule in New Zealand.The owner of that bike claims to own the "World's Fastest Indian".
    Fact of the matter is that he left it here at Bob's Indian in Ca.
    Dean's family still owns it and takes it around to shows in the States.
    The one cool thing they did was set it up where it was a cutaway and you could see the inside.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I hate seeing it restored, and had some choice words to say, But.. Then I read it was done in the 80's. Unfortunatly I agree.. Thats what they did then.

JD

17. firingorder1

firingorder1

I'm curious about your "project". If you are planning a streamliner like that don't plan to run it at Bonneville with the SCTA or USFRA The rule changes over the years have made the WFI illegal. You might be able to run it at the BUB meet. Don't know their rules but they do allow dustbins which the SCTA doesn't.

18. 97

http://www.ehayes.co.nz/burtmunro/html/gallery_1.html

There are two frames , and he also had the engine in his Velocette frame in NZ at times for testing.
    After a few visits to the Salt he used to only bring home the engine and parts he wanted to modify , to save freight costs.
    The frame with the Hensleys in the US is a modified Scout frame with Scout front end, and half fairing , it was the one used to set the record, it is not the first one Burt took to the salt or the one he did all the NZ records and development on from 1920 to 1962.
    The frame in Hayes hardware store in Invercargill, New Zealand is from his original 1920 Scout ( 50 R 627) with a girder front end from a 26 Prince fitted. http://www.ehayes.co.nz/burtmunro/
    The motor in Hensley's bike the US is a spare and the original 1920 Scout motor used in the record run
    # (50R 627) is in it's original frame in NZ.

The bike was left at Sammy Pierce's place between visits to the salt and when Burt did not return after 1971 it was left in storage outside, Dean Hensley bought it from about the third or fourth person after Sam Pierces stuff was sold.
    [​IMG]
    "stored" at Pierces

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  19. noboD

noboD

Asphalt Outlaw Hero, I met Dean when he had it at Hershey with the Death Wheel Indian. Great guy and incredible MCs.

20. bardahl1

bardahl1

I went down to Invercargill - this picture is of the Velocette at the hardware store.

It seems that there was at least one faithfull reproduction made for the movie by Kiwis that both knew Burt as well as the origional bike. There were also several clones made with Ducatis for the speed footage. We met a few guys that knew and rode with Burt, its not a big town.

Attached Files:

21. firingorder1

firingorder1

I know this isn't the photo you are looking for but I found this in one of my old mags. Burt at Bonneville. The Motorcycle, Sept. '62
    [​IMG][/IMG]

22. 51NINETYEIGHT

51NINETYEIGHT
    BANNED

23. firingorder1

firingorder1

24. Outstanding stuff, everyone.
    97-thanks for the links-lots of stuff there I wasn't aware of. Absolutely amazing.

25. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

I talked a bit with Dean at one of the Davenport Iowa meets. That bike sounded ........I can't think how to describe it........LOUD! and it would rev up so fast it was unbelievable. It made my innards vibrate as he revved it up and down. When he fired it up folks would come running from all directions. I was about 4-5 feet away from it when running and count it as one of my great memories. Am I remembering right that the engine has Porsche heads and/or cylinders on it?

26. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

One year he had it and the cut down 03 Indian there.He fired both of them up and blew both of them up. He was there to have a good time and share them.He was philosophical about it."We killed two Indians that day".
    RIP Dean

27. It says "MUNRO" on the block...I guess he modified it so much, it was considered his...

[​IMG]

And this is Burts Home Built Unique Overhead Valve Conversion On The Indian

[​IMG]

28. Machobuck

Machobuck

Burt's velocette

29. Machobuck

Machobuck

30. Machobuck

Machobuck