Register now to get rid of these ads!

removing '66 chevy ignition switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scott mckelvey, Oct 10, 2007.

1. i'm trying to pull the dash panel on my '66 el camino. i apologize if this is the wrong forum for this, but.....

this is the top panel on the dash that all the switches are in. I unscrewed the bezels on the wipers, lights, and ignition, but the ignition bezel still seems to be held on by stainless disc (has one small hole in it) that is on the face where the key goes in. I'm assuming you can push something in hole and then it releases, but the first attempt or two didn't work and I figured I'd ask before I f'd something up.

2. Andy

Andy

You have to put the key in and turn it. Use a paperclip in the hole and it will come apart.

LOU WELLS and Nailhead Jason like this.
  3. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

put your key in it and turn to acc, then insert a big paper clip and push,reaching up behind the dash and turn the switch

oh and did you get the headlight switch out? no need to wreck it if you didnt, little button on top of the switch hidden by the wireing ,pull out the knob and push in the button, it will release in case you didnt know about that

have seen a few wrecked because nobody showed them

belair, LOU WELLS and slack like this.
  4. unscrewed the bezel on the wiper and lights and those came right out, but the ignition.......

???so, put the key in and turn to ignition, then put paper clip in hole and reach behind and reach behind dash and turn the body of the switch???

unless i'm wrong, the whole of the steel dash has to come out, which is attached to the column by a bracket. this i've already unscrewed, but it seems counterintuitive to me.

5. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

ok maybe miy brain is too old, you either just put the ky in it compresse the tumblers and then you push in the clip, then you can rotate and remove,

i know on the 55 to 57 chevy's it is just insert the key and use the clip,

no turn to accesories to the left, that opens a little hole in the face of the switch through the bezel hole, thne insert the clip or stiff wire, it depresses the insde spring holding a tab , turn the switch alittle to hold that kind off pinching the clip, then pull out the clip and turn the switch kind of monkey fuck but a little fiddling it will come off the bezel and you will justhave the switch, oh pull the key out also :rolleyes:

tkae a look into the bezel hole and you will see another hole line up when you turn the key to acc,

slack likes this.
  6. stick the paper clip in the hole and turn the key counter clockwise it will unscrew

7. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

:eek: insert key into the ignition and turn it to the “lock” position. Use a straightened paper clip or similar small stiff wire and push it into one of small the holes in the chrome bezel on the lock tumbler. Turn the ignition to the left (counterclockwise) until the lock tumbler ejects from the switch.

there it is from the chevy shop manual:rolleyes:

ONCE YOU GET IT YOU WILL HAVE ATTAINED GENIUS ENGINEERING STATUS ON BEATING GM DESIGN,

WELL AT LEAST ON ONE OF THIER MILLION CRAZY DESIGNS

8. thanks guys, i'll give it a try

9. squirrel

squirrel

from an old locksmith book...

Attached Files:

10. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

this takes some trial and error, like was said put the key in turn to assy take the paper clip and push through the hole you should fell a spring loaded plunger play with it felling the resistence, when you have it depressed turn to the left and pull out the tumbler now you can remove the bezel. this is a aquired skill.

11. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Use a flattened ice pick or a blunt scribe instead of a paper clip so it doesn't slip off the brass pin.

12. Gman0046

Gman0046

Don't know if your aware of the www.chevytalk.com web site. Any Chevy problem you have has occured before, all you need to do is ask a question and someone will answer it for you.

13. belair

belair

CONGRATLATIONS for asking before you tore anything up. Too many guys think all you need is a pair of vice-grips to remove the ignition. And a good heads up on the headlight switch. I don't know how many good switches were ruined because folks don't know about the little button.

14. My question is how do you get them out without a key ?

15. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

up until 1966 after that they went to the column key

have to have a key or you will end up ruining the lock set

gm used a key that fit the door lock and ignition,

pull out the door lock and there is a code on it,no code? still can cut a key just takes them a little longer to read the tumblers
    locksmith can cut a new key and then you will be ready to take the ignition out,

glove box and trunk are a diferent key

slack likes this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

or just try all your old Chevy keys, wiggling gently, until you get the lock to turn....this works about half the time I try it!

slack likes this.
  17. aaranpeters

aaranpeters

When I remove my ignition, the Locksmith used a number that was stamped on the lock. I think I found the same number on the paperwork, but can't remember for sure.

18. 54vicky

54vicky

another case of not reading the date of post.

19. squirrel

squirrel

only a decade late!

slack likes this.
  20. Google is an amazing thing. :)

21. Bad Ed

Bad Ed

Ok gang. I have tried turning left and turning right using a small screwdriver in the pinhole. Can't find release pin. 68 ElCo with switch in dashboard. Can only get to either accessory position or on position. Can't get to the position which engages the starter which is why I need to get it out. Also in the older cars you can pull out the key when running if that matters. Can you release the assembly from behind the dash? Have tried but so far no luck there either.

22. squirrel

squirrel

this is what the switch looks like without the lock cylinder installed. The brass circle is the release pin. Look into the hole with a flashlight, when you turn the key, do you see the pin appearing? If not, then you probably won't be able to press it.

I don't know what the correct orientation of the switch is, though (which way is up?) switch.jpg

23. The pin should line up only on the Accessory position. I just removed one from a Holden (looks like a Chevy one) which I could not get to the accessory position by using the key, jiggling many old GM keys , etc.. This had the chrome bit on the front which was slightly larger than the hole in the screw collar. I ended up carefully cutting a small amount off the "ears" on the chrome bit which you grab when you turn the key, using a Dremel, which let me unscrew the notched ring, and drop the switch out the back of the dash. (last resort option, but you can still clean up the cuts and re-use the bezel) switch.jpg

24. BoneTreat

BoneTreat

My friend had no luck repairing that ElColock, especially the release pin. But Locksmith had it all sealed up and replaced that pin. I had no clue pin can be replaced but Brandon told me and i have no reasons not to believe him