Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can a sprint car type torsion bar suspension work on a street driven hot rod??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Devin, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Like sThe subject says. I like the clean look and sense of purpose of sprint car suspensions. Perhaps with less machined aluminum and more fabrication.

2. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Rear suspension to be specific.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. My buddy scratch built a 27 T roadster with a flat head and a quick change and installed torsion bars from a sprint car. Came out real neat and although he does not drive it much he says he was quite satisfied with the ride

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

6. XWYNNSGUY

XWYNNSGUY

You need to check out Joey Saldana's hotrod, torsion front and rear I think. built and set up by Lee Osborne. Who was one heck off a shoe himself.

7. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

8. Moal sells their torsion bar suspensions separately if you don't want their frame. Michael Moal recently quoted me $2,850 for the front or rear. Sounds like a lot but it is an engineered system. I have ridden in a car that they built and it is really worth the bucks if you have them.

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.
  9. designs that work

designs that work

Yes you can put sprint car torsion bars on a street car. With a solid rear axle 8", 9" it is fairly simple, with a I R S it gets a little complicated.

AHotRod likes this.
  10. Built one in the seventies with sprint car stuff and it was really a cool ride and totally adjustable. 1940 Ford chassis.

AHotRod likes this.
  11. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

What is the concensus of orienting the torsion bars in a horizontal fashion (as shown in the pics) versus a longitudinal manner?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

12. BCR

BCR

Was it the ride quality or the handling? How much better is it than a spring system?

Just curious.

13. Ride quality. I was not driving. It was very smooth and there was very little lean in the turns.

I saw a Model A at the Tunica show with a home made torsion bar suspension. It had the bars parallel to the frame and the ends of the arms rode on pads welded to split original Ford wishbones.

Schroder Racing (the same people who make the sprint car steering boxes) make torsion bars and they can size based on load and the length of the arm.

AHotRod likes this.
  14. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I think that setup would be really cool. I would
    LIke to be able to set the torsion bars within the frame rails for a super clean almost skeletonized appearing suspension.

15. designs that work

designs that work

These pictures are not very clear but they show the start of a torsion bar suspension using Toyota and Chevy luv torsion bars. More pictures in my albums. For ease of mounting torsion bar arms, in my opinion the rear bars would be mounted transversely or across the car. The fronts run parallel to the frame.

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.
  16. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

As many torsion bars and stops I have left over from racing this thread has me interested.

17. rooman

rooman

Steve Panaritis (aka The Greek) has being doing torsion bar frames for years here in Indiana and Lee Osborne was doing them before him.
    A coil spring is simply a torsion bar packaged differently but the advantage of correctly mounted torsion bars is that the spring base can be made wider and longer without having the coils hanging out in the breeze.

Roo

BigChief, Dapostman and AHotRod like this.
  18. oj

oj

Heres' the front end of one from the Jalopy Showdown a couple years ago

Attached Files:

19. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

no disrespect, but that don't look right hangin out in the breeze...coulda hidden it better me thinks...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

The springbase used to be a sort of critical item on old midgets, maybe they were after that...but on a hotrod hidden would be nice.

21. sdluck

sdluck

Moal bros did a car for I think Alen Ness and the front bars were long ways,very nice car.

22. I'm putting a ford rear end in a sprint car chassis for a street rod.
    It's not as easy as I first thought...I think it will be a four bar with the rear torsion arm mounted with a shackle to allow some motion. Any advise from somebody that's done it?

23. Can they work, sure. Just have to get the rates right on the bars.

Check my my build thread in my signature. There are some pictures of my chassis about 1 or 2 pages back from the last page of the thread. Real clean torsion bar install on all four corners.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  24. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

few years ago in a radir wheel add was a photo of HellzaPop'n coupe the cleaness /simple torsion bar setup /like on front ends of fed dragsters

will look for photo if no one else posts it

would like to see details

AHotRod likes this.
  25. .

I got on my computer and have a few minutes to post some pics before work. Here is my chassis being built by JoKerr Fabrication. Jo has built and raced sprint cars and that is apparent in the design of this chassis. Torsion bars front and rear with a nice clean install.

I hope these help you with some ideas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear set up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The front:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jo is fabbing the torsion arms to tuck up behind the V8-60 Axle I'm using like the paper pattern on the driver's side shows.

[​IMG]

Most of these pics were taken last week right before the chassis was blown apart for paint. The completed car will be on display in the basement at the Detroit Autorama which starts on March 8th. If anyone out there is going, stop by and say hello.

Here is a pic of the body that will be wearing a nice shiny coat of black very soon.

[​IMG]

AHotRod likes this.
  26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx, it sure has. I've been sub'd to your build for just that reason! Gary

27. View attachment PICT0594 (1).pdf

torsion.jpg

This is close to how my 9" is hooked up now, but I think it needs a shackle on the torsion arm to allow things to move as the suspension travels up and down..any thoughts? :confused:

28. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

A coil spring is nothing more than a torsion bar twisted in a coil. Both are just twisting steel. The cool deal about a torsion bar is the easy ride height adjustment.

29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yes, you need to free up the torsion arm, there's a lot of bind going on in that setup.

30. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Perhaps the setup has a slot in the arm instead of a round hole ?

dave