Register now to get rid of these ads!

think ive got power steer anyone know how to fix that?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cruzin55, May 5, 2012.

1. cruzin55

cruzin55
    from califorina

i just put a munci in my 56 chevy n now it pulls to one side when i let out the clutch n then then it pulls the other way when push it to shift. does any body know why its happenin how to counter it?

2. coupeguy2001

coupeguy2001
    from Phoenix

Was it an auto trans before the 4 Speed?
    The clutch linkage goes between the frame and the engine. If you have a broken mount and you are torquing the engine, you might be pushin the engine side to side. Have someone watch the engine with the key off to see if the engine is moving and coming in contact with the steering linkage or other space limited phenomenon.

3. sounds like there is a problem with the nut holding the steering wheel.:D;):cool:

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Rear end is loose

5. X2, check your rearend mounting. Also check your leaf spring bushings. SOmething in your rearend is moving and changing the rearend to be angled slightly.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  6. Cerberus

Cerberus

My '56 DelRay had different leaf springs on each side, when I bought it. It sat level. One side had 4-leaf and the other side had 6-leaf. Eckler's to the rescue.

7. If its got a Z bar linkage, it could be frame flex altering your alignment when to push the clutch. And especially if its a heavy clutch. That should show up in door gaps, bumper to body clearances, and hood alignment when you work the clutch.

If it only happens during acceleration and shifting but cruising is normal it could be a variety of things. More info would help on that.