Register now to get rid of these ads!

700 r4

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porkchop4464, Aug 25, 2011.

1. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Is it true that if you don't wire the 700 R4, you simply never have OD, but you can run it like a standard trans? I ask because I have never found clear answers for several questions regarding this model trans.

Here are some of them:

A) If it must be wired, which wire on the four pin of the trans is the feed/hot and which runs to the pedal and is grounded following the brake switch? I really don't care about the OD, as I have 300 slob gears in my 9 inch, so until I get the money for 488s, I have a stupid and bogging OD.

Secondly, the t hrottle and trans cable are to match 100 percent from resting idle through full throttle radius, correct?

Thirdly, I have a Quadro-slob; do any of you guys know if the 700R4 was put in GM models early enough to get a hold of a factory Q-slob or manifold bracket? If so which year, make, etc.)? I ask because it would be so nice to simply get a factory cable and carb bracket and be done with all this finite trans-blowing-up fun.
    Pork

Man! Why the hell are RockCrushers so F'n expensive!!

2. Grumbler

Grumbler

You'll still have 4th gear OD without the power wire, it will just run a little higher RPM without the lockup. There is only one 12v wire you need to the connector, I THINK it was the top right pin, don't quote me. I bo-janged my TV cable onto the original carb bracket but you can get aftermarket, check out Bowtie Overdrives

3. MalibuKasey

MalibuKasey

Youll burn that tranny up quicker than a fat kid can eat a twinkie without the TV cable installed. Im speaking from experience.

4. Larry T

Larry T

700R4s were introduced in the early 80's, Quadrajets were used until at least the late 80's. You should be able to find linkage to work somewhere in between. I'd look under the hood of Chevy pickups.
    Larry T

5. BELLM

BELLM

I have a 305 & 700 out of a '84 Pontiac full size car, has a Quadrajet. Don't know when was last year for GM using carbs.

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like Grumbler said, you can run one without the lockup wired, and you'll still have the 4th gear. Running this way does generate more heat due to converter slippage, so make sure you've got a good cooler if you do it this way.

TV cable should be synched from idle to full throttle.

Here's a wiring diagram:

http://www.nitrophotos.com/700r4.html

7. Was told its the #1 pin, Rebel wire Co, makes a conversion which seems to be very easy to install,(if you have the 700R, not the 4L60) you do need the lock up to work, the TV cable needs to work to!

8. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

The 700 was designed with a lockup TC. Wiring varies from application to application. Your converter is going to produce a lot more heat if it never locks up. I've heard that the cooling circuit doesn't flow correctly unless the TC is locked up but somebody else will have to comment on that. Personally if I didn't want the lockup feature I'd install a TH350 with 2.70 axle gears and be done with it.
    I cannot think of a specific quadrajet application that used a 700 TV cable bracket. You may want to look into an aftermarket bracket.

9. BLAKE

BLAKE

10. terry48435

terry48435

Bowtie Overdrive has a very complete discription and diagrams to hook it up

11. 1950merc

1950merc
    from Butler, PA

As others have stated, yes you have fourth, but you would be creating unwanted heat from slippage if the torque conveter is not locked up. Heat is your number one enemy in an auto tranny.

Bendtsend's sell a kit for lockup. As I understand it, it locks up th converter 4 seconds after fourth gear engagement. Some will do lockup on top of fourth gear engagement and this can create bogging. Bob is always willing to answer questions, too.

http://transmissionadapters.com/for_sale.htm

I know an 86 full size Blazer came with a 700R4 and a Quadrajet.

12. Weasel

Weasel

^^^ sure you can run without the wires hooked up - mmmm the smell of burning trans....

A description of what you are running for an engine, what cam you are running, what vehicle you are running it in, how tall your rear tires are etc. would help get you some useful advice here. 4.88s seem a little steep even for a 700 R4 if you want to get performance and economy.

If you are running a 28" tall tire you would be turning 2869 rpm at 70 mph in overdrive....

13. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

If you don't run lockup , you will overheat overdrive and smoke the trans eventually

14. I have always just found the linkage for the TV cable at the u pull it or whatever they call it in your part of the country.

The electricle hookup is for the lockup on the converter. I wired the ravens but I do not recall which pin it is off the top of my head. We have his hooked to a toggle switch and he locks it up when he gets out on the highway.

You are going to have OD whether your converter locks up or not, better look for lower gears.

15. 52Poncho

52Poncho

700R4's run well with 4.11, 3.73 or 3.42 gears, as stated in other posts 4.88 maybe a bit steep.

16. Larry T

Larry T

B&M sells torque converters for the 700R4 that don't have a lock up function.
    Larry T

17. Larry
    I wasn't aware that is good to know. Adjusted stall I assume?

18. Larry T

Larry T

Yea, the one I looked at was a 3000 stall. You'd think the higher stall converters would be the one's that could use the lock up function, but I guess that's not necessarily true.
    Larry T

19. hipkatgreaser

hipkatgreaser

go to your gm dealer and ask for the peformance book and in there it will have a 700r4 kit to wire your lock with harness and a pressure switch to have lock up in fourth gear. it will also include a new spring for better t.v. operation do to different angles on carbs compare to t.bi. and quadajets.

20. Some of these answers don't seem to know the difference between the TV cable and the lockup solenoid for the torque converter. There are no wires on the TV cable, it's not like cable TV.

You can rig up the lock-up to work on a toggle switch, it's not hard. And there are umpteen kits out there to make it work, too.

And GM converted the quadrajet to a computer controlled carb around '81, the same basic casting, so any brackets for one of those will work for your TV cable bracket. I wouldn't be surprised if the same brackets were used for the 200R4, too, since both operated more or less the same way. That puts you into any auto trans RWD GM car from 81-89 give or take a year depending on model.

21. Wish I could remember where I saw it, but the early models WILL burn up if the lock up is not wired up. "Late" models are OK with out it. No, I don't know what divides early and late. I've been running my '92 for a couple years w/o the lock up connected. Just lazy I guess.

22. Larry T

Larry T

I just talked to a friend of mine that's a transmission guy. He says you have to make a minor modification the 82-84 700R4s or there's a bearing that doesn't oil in od/unlocked converter and will lock up. The factory made the modification on all 700R4s in 85.
    So if you have a 82-84 700R4 that hasn't been modified, you could have troubles without the lockup function.

23. 46Ford

46Ford

Here's a link to a site with pretty good info on the 700R4. I've used the diagram to fab an adapter for my son's truck and used it to check the angles on the linkage on my T. The info seems to work well.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/700R4p1.html

I have a trans temp gage in my T and can report that mine runs hotter with the converter unlocked. I have a 92 model trans.

24. 37gmc

37gmc
    from upstate ny

t v cable controls trans pressure they will self distruct without it . it will do the same if not adjusted correctly just not as fast as with out it. be careful of some aftermarket brackets they just are not solid enough to stay adjusted where they should (bend, or slide) some of the later valve bodies have a oil temp switch to lock up the convertor in the event of over heat but they still needed to be hooked to power. ( provided alternate ground )

25. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

I pulled the motor and tranny out of a 1988 caprice, it had a q-jet and 700r.I put it in my 1 ton chevy truck and it worked fine without the wiring for the convertor.

26. 1930 A

1930 A

The pin that needs to be live is the front outside looking from the top. 700R4's came out in 82 so any chev pickup up to about 86 should have the right cable and bracket.

27. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Thanx 46 Ford, Blake (you darn Yahoo. How's DW?) and everyone. Again, great info.from the HAMB. I pretty much got the linkage and cable radius all worked out. I think I am going to just spring for the lock-up kit however. I really hate wimping out on the tech. side of my build, but I got too many loose ends and it's too big a ticket item to be f'n with.

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond.

The Pork

28. bigdav160

bigdav160

Personally, I like the hydraulic (valve body) fix for the torque converter clutch. Electricity doesn't bother me but running a brake interrupt switch works but from the factory they also had a vacuum switch running in series to unlock the converter. In a light car, like in your profile, leaving the TCC unhooked probably won't matter much. Heavier cars and trucks the fluid will overheat.

29. coolieman

coolieman

I know I'm late to this conversation but I just asked transmission about toogle switch on 700r4 and he said he just hooks wire up to brake light switch to get power when brake applyed Any Thoughts

30. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

the 700 has been out of production for almost 20 years