Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jag Jaguar IRS into a 46' International Harvester

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IRON MAIDEN, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

Well, after much thought..... and I know at some point regret..... I'm not gonna use the Jag rear in my truck. Not because of any of my questions on installing it. Not because I don't want to use it. Not because of anything other than $$$. The more I look at the project, especially the rear, it's just gonna be too much $$$. By the time I figure out the gear swap in this thing, have the suspension rebuilt, brakes, it is just too much. Especially when I have a ready to go Explorer 8.8 with 3.73/Trac-Loc/Disc Brakes sitting right here. I wish $$$ wasn't an issue. The rear would already be mounted if that was the case. But it is, and I had to make a decision. I'm 42 and would like to drive this thing in my 40's ; ) If I use too many parts in my build that will require rebuilding before it's time to drive, then it's gonna take me that much longer to ever be able to get parts and be able to pay for labor on some of these thing. I'm bummed, but it is what it is. Maybe down the road if my $$$ situation improves I can swap a Jag rear back in. But for now, I'm gonna keep my project moving and toss in the Ford 8.8. Hopefully, all the work I did and starting this thread will help someone else use the Jag rear in a Harvester. The rubber mounts line up with the frame rails and it is a great option. Wish my Jag rear was not in need of a gear swap and rebuild so I could just use it. To all the Hambers who helped me along, thanks. At least the Jag IFS is staying in my truck.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

As an interested observer of this swap I appreciate the update. While I am sure it is disappointing, I can understand your decision. Best wishes with the project.

Ray

3. silversink

silversink

Its a pretty easy swap as all you have to do to the drive line is install frd U joints. I have been told that they are the same size, I'm hoping I heard right.
    I'm about to put the 9" I got the other day in.

4. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

Are you talking about swapping to the 8.8? I'm gonna have to get a custom driveline I'm assuming. I'm not expecting my motor and trans combo to be the same as the original IH setup. Even the differencial pinion length could be a factor. It would be cool if it fit though. But I'm guessing an aluminum driveline would be a better choice.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I belive there is a yoke that bolts onto the Ford 8.8. pinion flange that allows use of a conventional u-joint. Check with driveline a shop or a 4 x 4 shop. The 8.8 is popular for swapping into Jeeps.

Ray

6. JEM

JEM

The 8.8 has two or three different sizes of input flanges, these correspond to different size bolt-up yokes on the rear of the driveshaft for 1310 and 1330 U-joints. The Explorer and Mustang typically used a 1310 U-joint and the Crown Vics (and pickups, etc. I think) a 1330. They all take snap-rings outside the caps to retain the cross caps. All readily available.

Iron Maiden, if you need a 1310-to-8.8 flange from an Explorer I think I've got one off an Explorer shaft I pulled for my '65 Mustang. Let me confirm this afternoon (soon as I finish typing this I'm back out to the garage to resume trial-fitting an MN12/FN10 Mk8 IRS under my '64 Country Sedan) but if I've got it I can ship it to you.

Do you know how long a driveshaft you'll need yet? If you're shopping junkyard stuff, look at the Crown Vic cop-cars and some late-model GM pickups, the Crown Vic shaft is a 3.66in diameter 54.5in long aluminum shaft with 1330 yokes at both ends (note the civilian Crown Vic shafts are junk), some late GM truck shafts are ginormous aluminum things. One-piece driveshafts are very rare outside lowish-speed Detroit hardware because of critical-RPM issues in high-speed cruising (Crown Vic cop cars limited to 140mph or so with 3.27 gears, 125 with 3.55s.)

I'm likely going to need the diff flange that bolts up an '08 GT500 driveshaft CV joint to a '91 T-Bird SC iron 8.8 IRS pumpkin, which is a rather different beast than any of the Cardan driveline yokes...I suppose I'll just end up at the Ford dealer.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  7. JEM

JEM

Iron Maiden - found the 1310-to-8.8 bolt-on yoke, if you want it PM me a shipping address.

8. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

Thanks JEM. I'm in the middle of a move so I haven't been fooling with the truck or even coming to the site. I will PM you right now.

9. Mudgy

Mudgy

Hey IM, how did you go?

10. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

How did I go?

11. toddc

toddc

Translation: Is it done?

12. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

Thanks. First, thanks to JEM for the part. Can't thank you enough. I lost track of receiving it as it was right when I was moving. I have it and it will work, thank you.

I've just been collecting parts. I'm sitting on the Jag rear to use at a later time. The 8.8 is what will get the truck on the road. I need to solve the issue of my wheels not fitting on the Jag frontend. The hub shoulder issue. once I can get the front wheels on, I will finish the rear suspension. Then the truck should be sitting at the rake I want (I hope) and I can move forward and mount the engine and trans. Underfloor brake setup, and all other frame xmembers and boxing. Then I can mount my new steering column and figure out the steering linkage.

13. I gained enough knowledge from this thread to put a Jag IRS in my '48 KB. It's from a '72 XJ-12 with a 331 posi. The frame rails are from an early 70's elco. We also shortened the truck by 14 inches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

Very nice. Any other pics of your Harvester? Not sure how this thread helped you as everything I showed was with using the cage on the rear. But I'm glad to see you pulled it off. Had I had your gears..... I would have gone with it too. Although I still want a bit higher. The later year XJ12's have 3.55's. Maybe one will turn up.

15. toddc

toddc

I hope you're going to put some fish plates on that chassis graft :eek:

16. Everyone that contributed to the thread with how they uncaged one...

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I don't think I even documented that part when I did it quite a while ago, though I did do some on the building of the crossmember...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24785

18. Everyone that contributed to your thead that showed how to uncage one. I would like to find some 370 gears, but with the torque the 400 SBC makes I think I'll be OK...

19. silversink

silversink

370 gear are more than good-----I have 325s and can break them loose up to 45mph with a 350 horse running a 700 Edlelbrock -465 lift cam and posi 9"

20. Definitely...... I learned chassis fab at a Sprint Car shop, fixing wrecks. We always slug any tubing we cut out. The frame is slugged with pieces of 2x4 where it's cut, there are still a bunch of gussets that need welded on. This is the second time we back halfed it, the first time was 20,000 miles and hundreds of passes at the strip ago. I also learned alot in the past 6 years....

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  21. Your thread is why it's uncaged...We tried to weld the whole cage in but the truck is too light in the ass, the half shaft where way angled. I didn't want to buy shocks so we moved the mounts to make the half shaft geometry correct. The other set of shock mounts lowers it an inch and softens up the spring rate some.

22. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Are you going to run a brace (tubing with clevis or similar) from the front of the lower control arm attachment points up to the frame or another crossmember? The torque is all at the center section under acceleration or braking and will be trying to twist the center section out of that upper mount.

23. The 2nd photo shows one of the radius rods and cross member. 5/8" steel rod ends on 1 and 1/4 rods...

24. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  25. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I mean from the gear housing like in this picture that dakota.za posted. "Pinion struts" These are what keep the pinion from trying to twist the whole assembly out of the frame under acceleration or braking.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  26. I took the 3 degrees out with the cross member and ran everything parallel with the ground. I hope that's what you mean.....

27. I see what your saying, Thanks

28. Packrider

Packrider

Thanks for the inspiration.
    [​IMG]

My version. 48 International KB3

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  29. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

Hey Packrider, any other photos? Are you just using 2 of the 4 coilovers? And did you change the springs on the two you are using? I'd love to see more pics of your truck. Did you use the Jag IFS as well?

30. Packrider

Packrider

Yea I'm using just 2. I changed out the springs with a set I had left over from a Trike project. I think they were for a honda. Basic set. Adjustable though. Myself and my soninlaw compress them less than an inch. Should be good for the weight of the bed. I posted a link to photobucket on another of your threads. I cant get to it right now though. Its on oldihc too. I used the front too. Super easy. I'm glad you did it first. It looked from your lice the mounts lined up awesome. Back mounted to the frame directly with the factory mounts and a couple of brackets on the front and it looks like it should be there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.