Register now to get rid of these ads!

1930 hudson

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptvan, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Have to think you're going to have to make the deck lid. I can't see anyone in their right mind with a decent body parting with one, unless you can find one half-buried as a retaining wall somewhere, it's going to be faster to build one from scratch.

2. choptvan

choptvan

I agree. But it is worth a try right?

3. looking good

4. I kind of thought that it might be a 29 body. I sorry to say, I cut one up for a race car years ago.:( I always liked the dual cowl vents.:cool:

5. choptvan

choptvan

DAMN YOU! HA HA! jkjk I undersdtand. and those dual vents are why i really wanted the car in the first place.

6. smarg

smarg

So that means what 4 banger right, straight 6? or what?

7. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

very cool....I'll ask around here for any one with parts!:D

8. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

If you want to keep it Hudson powered, the choice of engines should be easy....Twin H Power from an early 50's Hudson. Finding one may be kinda tough, though.

9. choptvan

choptvan

If hudson made a 4 cylinder that i could get ahold of, I would LOVE to have that! Damn. Now you got me thinkin..... but most likely a six.

10. choptvan

choptvan

thanks! Anything helps. Even dash knobs at this point.

I would rather not. I have found those real hard to get. But I know what you mean.

11. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

You are off to a great start, I don't understand what makes people shoot up a car when they come across it in the woods. Most of the time when I find a car when I am hunting it is full of holes.

12. Streaker

Streaker

Choptvan,
    Hey it was great talking to you at VLV this year.
    Hope you find all the Hudson parts, I'll keep looking for you too.

My 3-window is a '31.
    Lucky for me, I started with a better body than yours,
    but I admire your craftsmanship !

Let me know if you need any other info.
    Dan

Attached Files:

13. smarg

smarg

Geez man, I like your Ideas.

But a late 50's V8 would do justice to the chop top.
    A traditional ground pounding engine would do the trick for this one.

14. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

If you want a Hudson engine, the 308 is the best option. This was the "Hornet" engine used from 51 on. The 262 can be a little cheaper and easier to find. That said, I've picked up (2) complete 308 blocks in the last few years for $100 ea. There are still quite a lot of bolt on options that will work on any of these blocks, and Twin H setups show up on E*ay quite often. Twin H will also fit on any of these blocks.

Read this thread, very good info...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=391692&highlight=hudson+308

The body parts will be tough to find, check out the HET club and you can post an the classicar.com Hudson / streetrod sub forum.

I would guess that your car had wood spokes, I can't think of a Hudson prior to 33 that I've seen with wire wheels, but I don't claim to be an expert.

Looks like a cool build. Keep us posted.

15. choptvan

choptvan

Right on! I had your car as my screen saver for a bit. Such a cool ride. I use it as inspiration for sure. Let me know what you find. And i appreciate it.

16. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

For what it's worth, when I got my Hudson coupe I also got a 30 Hudson roadster body that I traded to a friend. There were a lot of original parts including the straight eight engine and a front axle and the rear diff that with as far as I can tell were the original wire wheels. All that could really be saved was a couple of the hub caps, the rest was left out in the weather so long it was just scrap iron, what a shame.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  17. choptvan

choptvan

Not tryig to go traditional. Just hudson.

18. choptvan

choptvan

sounds like the way i found mine. Hell. Wasn't even good enough for scrap. Thanks for the help on the wires. Would make her perfect for sure.

19. ok going the other way... what about a V8 like you would find in the 55-57 hudsons.... amc 250 or packard 352

20. choptvan

choptvan

I REALLY want a six. But i guess, depending on looks and aftermarket availability, i could do the v8.

21. A 308 hornet motor with a wasp crank would give you a great de-stroked high rev motor. just a thought.
    my 29.

Attached Files:

22. choptvan

choptvan

now that is a cool pic!

23. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

I was just going back over the thread and was looking at the difference in the wheels. I see Ramblur's Essex has the wires and the green Hudson and the 32 have the wooden wheels but my Hudson came with the wires. Was there and option available back then for a choice of wires or wood or did they put on different wheels in different assembly plants? Not that it matters I was just curious, anyone have any info?

24. choptvan

choptvan

yeah. I didn't notice that. Good eye. Strange how the simple things get by you sometimes....

25. choptvan ... I'm no expert, but I'd say your coupe is actually a 1931 Hudson ... just like Streaker's:

[​IMG]
    Billetproof Car Show - Back To Billetproof
    Ever seen a hot rod Hudson? Dan Wathor's channeled '31 coupe is packed with a Super Red Ram Hemi with three deuces. Gray tuck 'n' roll and a custom dash dress up the inside. The outside features some nice 'striping on the firewall, deck, headlight housings, and grille shell. Santa Cruz Speed & Custom and the Crime Scene Choppers awarded it Best Orphan.

Here's a side by side comparison of the visors on your coupe & Streaker's:

Hudson Coupe Visor Comparison (choptvan & Streaker).JPG
    click thumbnail to enlarge

... versus the '30 & '32 Hudson Visors:

1930 Hudson Visor.JPG 1932 Hudson Visor.jpg
    click thumbnails to enlarge

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  26. Ramblur

Ramblur

Wood wheels standard,wire wheels an extra cost option. What I haven't
    figured out yet is the correct wires for an Essex. Mine came with
    drop center(one piece) rims on the front and split rings on the back.
    One old-timer told me the drop center were Essex and the split-ring
    Hudson,but I haven't verified that.

27. choptvan

choptvan

And things like that slipping is exactly what i was talkin about! Now how do you change the title of a thread??

28. essexrat

essexrat

The body lines certainly match my 30 Essex...Somethings funny about the visor though..could be the difference between the Hudson and the Essex or the difference between the coupe and the coach...either way...great choice in projects...I have a slough of Essex's up here...unfortunatley, my spare doors are spoken for.

29. essexrat

essexrat

Here's a couple pics of mine....I was told it was a 30 Essex and by the design on the gauges and handles, it's confirmed..

Attached Files:

30. choptvan

choptvan

Everyone says that. I have a few but.... HA HA! jkjk

that would be a fun car to build.