Register now to get rid of these ads!

History We ALL Love a DARE! PIX of TRULY Extinct Makes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimi'shemi291, Sep 12, 2009.

1. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

The Climber of Arkansas is a very scarce car, and I have to thank pro photographer Douglas Wilkinson who always does such a crisp job for the many, any cars he shoots for RemarkableCas.com to whom I also owe thanks. Mr. Wilkinson shot this 1923 Climber, appropriately, in the state where it was originally built (Little Rock, 1919-1923). It is part of the collection of the Museum of the Automobile, Petit Jean Mountain State Park, close to Morrilton, AK. Climbers were assembled cars and used only Herschell-Spillman fours and sixes, built in North Tonawonda, NY.

[​IMG]

2. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Someone just asked a few days ago, I think, what MAKES used the Herschell-Spillman V-8s. There are 9 here! I think this list is as of about the WWI-era. (Would be interesting to know the makes of the OTHER V-8s on this list!)

List of V-8 cars (Not OHV)

Abbott (Herschell-Spillman)
    Apperson
    Cadillac (Cadillac)
    Chevrolet
    Cole (Northway)
    Cord
    Cunningham
    Daniels (Herschell-Spillman)
    Douglas (Herschell-Spillman)
    Drummond (Herschell-Spillman)
    Economy (Ferro)
    Ford (Ford)
    Hollier
    Homer
    Jackson (Ferro)
    King (King)
    La Fayette
    Laughlin
    Lincoln
    Mercury
    Monarch
    Murray (Herschell-Spillman)
    Oakland
    Peerless (Herschell-Spillman)
    Pilot
    Regal
    Rock Falls (Herschell-Spillman)
    Ross (Herschell-Spillman)
    Scripps-Booth (Ferro)
    Sheridan (Northway)
    Standard (Herschell-Spillman)
    Viking
    Wills Saint Claire
    Yale

[NOTE: This list may be too early to include the DuPont Model C of the mid-'20s. I BELIEVE that used an H-S V-8, too. help out there?]

3. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

On closer exam, looks like this list probably goes into at least late '20s.

4. swi66

swi66

According to this:
    http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z10331/DuPont-Model-H.aspx
    The DuPont model C used an H-S L-head 6
    and later the model G used the Continental V-8

5. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks, SWI, for clearing that up!!! That is THE coolest things about this thread: People can speculate, and osmebody else, with the proper resource, can correct the record!

So, for the RECORD, folks, the DuPont C series used a Hershell-Spillman SIX-cylinder engine -- NOT a V-8. Thanks again, SWI.

6. I posted this on another thread.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5176134#post5176134

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Ol Skool '51 [​IMG]
    Didn't Norm Grabowski build a Henway? :D
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    From Justacarguy.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Ever heard of Norm's Henway? I just found it in the late 70's Hot Rod

[​IMG] I can't find where I pulled the above image from, Brandon Flannery took the photo, and says the image was probably from the HAMB / JalopyJournal

[​IMG] It's not like Gray wrote, (click on the image for a very large readable size) this wasn't a restoration, the Henway is a creation. A play on the old joke, what's a Henway... about 3 pounds.

The rest of these images are from the Jalopy Journal and obviously not the same vehicle

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Hey, and while we're on odd & unusual cars, anybody know anything about a car (I assume MICRO-car) built in '47 to '49 call the PUP ???

8. swi66

swi66

The one by Scripts-booth?
    http://home.earthlink.net/~scrippsbooth/Number20.pdf

In 1923, Booth began to design his ultimate driving machine, the "Da Vinci". This compact car featured an underslung worm drive axle which allowed for a flat nineteen inch floor (much lower than any other car on the market), cable-controlled hood latches, hanging brake and clutch pedals, and a parking brake in the transmission. Having no interest in manufacturing the car on his own, Booth attempted to sell his novel design to established automakers. He was understandably horrified, then, when Stutz produced a car with a similar underslung drive a year after he had shown the firm the "Da Vinci" plans. A costly patent infringement suit ensued, which Booth eventually won in 1935. By then, however, Stutz was ailing financially and the judgement that Booth received barely covered his own legal expenses. After this disconcerting ordeal, Booth produced just one other vehicle—the "Da Vinci Pup", a small, sleek cyclecar—and that solely for his own pleasure.

9. <TABLE style="MARGIN-LEFT: 10px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 10px" border=1 width=788 height="50%"><TBODY><TR><TD height=19 width=335><SMALL>PUP</SMALL></TD><TD height=19 width=234 align=middle><SMALL>(1948-1949)</SMALL></TD><TD height=19 width=893><SMALL>Pup Motor Car Co., Spencer, Wis.</SMALL></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

10. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Well, yes, that's what the lists said. And that's why I brought the subject up.

11. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Jordan did not have a corner on the STYLE market! This is a '28 REO Wolverine. Everybody always talks about the REO Royale, Flying Cloud and the Speed Wagon. Let's add the seldom-mentioned (and apparently quite rare) Wolverine. After '29, REO dropped the Wolverine to concentrate on two versions of the Flying Cloud, FYI.

[​IMG]
    '28 Wolverine in New Zealand

12. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I was referring to the late'40s Pup. I wasn't aware at all of the Scripps-Booth Pup. Interesting!

13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I was surprised to learn that Crosley cars didn't totally die out
    after Powell Crosley stopped the struggle. In searching for the
    late-'40s Pup, I instead found a revival of the Crosley Farm-O-
    Road from a decade later: the Crofton Bug!

[​IMG]
    1959 Crofton Bug, with thanks to MotorTopia. All parts interchange with Crosleys.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

From 1959 through 1962, a revamped version of the Crosley
    Farm-O-Road was produced by Crofton Marine Engine Co. as
    the Crofton Bug. W.B. Crofton, a successful GMC and Detroit
    Diesel products dealer started producing Bugs in San Diego.

Crofton made many, mostly minor, modifications to expand
    the utility potential of the little jeep-like vehicles. Length grew
    to 105 inches, permitting a half-ton payload, though the Bug
    itself weighed just 1,100 pounds. A pepped-up version of the
    old Crosley engine produced 35 hp from 44-CID. And a three-
    speed synchromesh trans (later optioned to a six-speed com-
    pound trans) replaced the old Crosley "crash box" tranny.

Besides the traditional farm implements, the Bug's option list
    grew to include a tow bar, snowplow, trailer hitch, pintle hook,
    dual rear wheels, electric winch and more. Expanding the
    vision to commericial applications and not just farming, the
    Bug was touted for use by mail carriers, hunters, fishermen,
    campers, meter readers and vacationers.

From 1959 through '62, some 200-250 Crofton Bugs were made,
    though it's said left-over Bugs were still listed in 1963.

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width="100%"><TBODY><TR height=65><TD width=482 rowSpan=3>[​IMG]
    And here's the original Crosley Farm-O-Road prototype in the Bruce Weiner Microcar Museum, Madison, GA.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

14. swi66

swi66

From an article from Hemmings:
    Not since the industry's earliest years were such a bizarre, head-scratching variety of vehicles conceptualized. In 1948, a Kansas City entrepreneur introduced the Gregory, a rear-engine, front-drive sedan that looked most like a shorted Saab 92. The prototype was also the last one built. Then there was the Gadabout, a three-passenger roadster on an MG chassis that largely resembled a beached, shorn platypus. Another proposal was the Pup, a tiny, two-passenger runabout that could have just as well been made by Fisher-Price.

And there was also a Crosley Pup which was their 4 x 4 prototype they tried to sell to the army as a jeep.

15. swi66

swi66

16. leaded

leaded
    from Norway

I found a Life magazine picture of moviestar Steve McQuinn.
    Belived first it was a Jaguar E, but it cant be? It seems smaller, an unknown taillights, and opening in the rear, to luggage? or is it just a VW
    [​IMG]

17. BEBO

BEBO
    from LUFKIN, TX

That's a '57 xkss jaguar

18. See Post #2470

This 1956 Jaguar XKSS was a part of
    Steve's personal garage of cars

[​IMG]

Steve
    loved to drive this car FAST.

He collected so many speeding tickets in it that he had his drivers license suspended twice.

On one occasion, when with his 6 months pregnant wife Neile in the passenger seat, he was pulled over for speeding, he came up with the false excuse that she was in labour. The police dutifully raced them to the hospital, where a nurse rushed out to help Neile.

After the police had departed Steve informed the nurse that it was a 'False Alarm', and led Neile back to the Jag. Writer William Nolan quotes Steve on the incident: Neile was pissed. She didn't speak to me for the rest of the day. But, by God, it worked. I didn't get the ticket!

Steve originally purchased the car in 1959, then sold it in 1969, but nostalgia got the best of him and he repurchased it in 1977, owning it till his death in 1980.

[​IMG]

19. The XKSS was just staring to go into full production when the Jaguar factory caught fire and burned to the ground.

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Yes, indeedy, GONGRATS, SWI! I wonder who was behind it, where it was
    made, what was in the boot, etc.

THERE ARE SOME OTHER KEEN ONE-OFFS & WEIRDOS IN YOUR LINK THERE WHICH MOSTLY DON'T EVEN APPEAR ONLY ANYBODY LISTS, TOO!

And your snippet from Hemmings alludes to Ben Gregory without saying much about him. We need to cover him at some point. Not only did he invent cars all his life, he was also ALMOST as "interesting" an hombre as good old Martin VanZandt (the guy who swiped his own Revere cars and sold them across the country as Richelieus). The industry has has more than its share of characters!

21. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Even if we DID already touch on this, it's good to see
    it pop up again, 'cause it is a TRULY ICONIC shot! How
    often do you see TWO legends in the same pic?

22. Hey Jimi-

Pup Motor Car Co., Spencer, Wis.

23. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

SWI, this great COLOR shot of the one-and-only Surlesmobile is on that link you showed. All we had before was a grainy newspaper clipping. Thanks again!

[​IMG]

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Pup Motor Car Co., Spencer, Wis.

Thanks, HJ! MY bad. I guess we know where MY head was! LOL

(This PUP sort 'o resembles the Eshellmans, though.)

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

25. [​IMG]
    1980 Freeway. This street legal car went 60 miles per hour got 100 miles per gallon.
    Manufactured in Minnesota by High Mileage Vehicles Corp, less than 1000 Freeways and Freeway IIs
    were built between 1979-1982. This Freeway originally had a Kohler 11 horsepower, 1 cylinder engine,
    that has been replace with a more powerful 2 cylinder Honda motorcycle engine.

26. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I searched the thread & I don't think this has been covered. HJ, kinda resembles a Henry J, doesn't it? Wish there were a better picture, but at least we have this one from the link SWI posted yesterday!

[​IMG]

'49-'50 Airway, T.P. Hall Engineering Co., San Diego, CA
    [Source: Flory, J. "Kelly", Jr. American Cars 1946-1959
    (Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Coy, 2008), p.1016.]

27. jonspinup

jonspinup

How about the 1935 Stout Scarab (called the world’s first mini-van, one of only six ever made) can be seen at the Owls Head Transportation Museum in Owls Head, Maine.

[​IMG]The 1935 Stout Scarab was the brainchild of William B. Stout, an aircraft and automobile engineer and writer. Stout, who had risen to fame as the chief engineer and designer of the Ford Tri Motor airplane, decided to go into the automobile business after a tiff with Ford's aviation department in 1932. His company, Stout Engineering Laboratories of Detroit, MI, was charg[​IMG]ed with the task of designing a building a van-like vehicle very much like the three-wheeled Dymaxion car created by noted in[​IMG]ventor Buckminster Fuller.

28. jonspinup

jonspinup

29. From Wikipedia:

The Airway was an American microcar with two seats, made by Everett Miller and T. P. Hall between 1949 and 1950 in San Diego, California. It had an all-aluminum body and chassis and an air-cooled 10 hp (7 kW) Onan engine mounted at the back. Normally it would only use a single fluid-drive speed, plus an emergency low gear. Hall had attempted several times to make a flying car, but stuck with a more conventional design for this car. The streamlined styling was considered to be modern and quite appealing, and its tiny wheels made the car look larger than it actually was. It used a large amount of aluminum and plastic to reduce its weight. Its wheelbase was 100 inches (2,540 mm) in length (158 inches (4,010 mm) all told) and 50 inches (1,270 mm) wide. Only two are known to have been made, one of the coupe and one of the sedan, though a number of photographs exist.
    Model details
    Body Type - Shipping Weight - Factory Price
    2-door Sedan - 800 pounds - $750 USD
    2-door coupe - 775 pounds - $750 USD

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Airway
    The T.P. Hall Engineering Co.
    San Diego, CA
    1949-1950 The Airway often called "The Vicinity Car" in their advertising was an American Minicar that was very popular following World War II. The Airway was almost as large conventional American Automobiles with it's 100 inch wheelbase and 50 inch tread width. The Airway could seat two passengers in the front and had room for more in the rear with an optional seat.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>T. P. Hall formed The T.P. Hall Engineering Co. to produce the Airway Minicar. The Airway was priced sell at $500.00.

<CENTER>[​IMG]
    1950 Airway Minicar </CENTER>
    Features included an air cooled 10 horsepower Onam engine mounted in the rear, 50 miles per gallon, all aluminum body and chassis and single fluid drive transmission. The Airway was one of the many post war minicars that failed to get into large scale production.
    <CENTER>[​IMG]
    1950 Airway "VICINITY" Car </CENTER>