Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Drinking & Driving... At Bonneville!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Dirty Dug likes this.
  2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Hey cool...
    I can answer that question. The car was painted red.
    I worked on the Budweiser commercials throughout the 1972-1973 era.
    This was when Budweiser was doing it's "theme" commercials. We had Budweiser canoes, a Budweiser Model A canvas top on a roadster, we painted the Budweiser logo/label on the bottom of an entire swimming pool in Pasadena. We later shot that as the last shot for a commercial from a helicopter. There were Budweiser juke-boxes in commercials and on and on.
    This was when Ed McMahon was still a spokesperson for Budweiser.
    Our company, MPO Videotronics, also made all the commercials for all of Proctor & Gamble products, Chevrolet and Folger's Coffee (remember Mrs. Olsen?).
    So, yeah, everything was "real" back then. We didn't have any computers and we were years away from using videotape. These were all shot in 35mm using Mitchell BNCR cameras.
    This Polaroid photo, below was from a Kit-Kat candy bar commercial, shot out in Soledad Canyon north of L.A. (where they filmed "Duel"). We had never heard of Kit-Kat and we were making commercials to kick off it's sales on the west coast. It was miserably hot in June when we were filming with these big lions, so the would not move. Because of the heat, they just laid there. There was plexiglas between the lions and the crew, but being that the lions would not move for the "action", and me being low man on the totem-pole, I had to go in with the lions and blast 'em in their nuts with a fire exinguisher so they would move around. Geez, what I did for $55 a day back in 1973.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
    BradinNC, jazz1, 5window and 2 others like this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'll be damned.

4. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Ryan, thanks for starting this thread and Mazooma1, thanks for sharing the real deal. Those were some great commercials in some real times! A lot of corny ones by todays standards, but sure entertaining!:D

5. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Very interesting I must say !
    Yea they were kinda corny but those were some great times back then .
    I still can remember some of the commercials back then where we did use "real" people not a computer ! All the alcohol and cigarette commercials , now is just a memory .
    Merry Christmas !

RetroJim

6. C.Sweeny

C.Sweeny

That's insane. :eek:

Also, the Moonliner is red in the video but the truck hauler is still yellow so it definitely couldn't have been hue changes in the film.

7. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

PERFECT! I love the "cooler slide" down the slant back hauler. Seen my ol' man pull that one a few times! :D

8. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Not that it matters but the guy who invented Kit Kat bars lived in our little town ( 2 red lights) so they say.

9. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Lamd Speed Racing was really a big deal back then. EVERYONE knew the names of Mickey Thompson, Craig Breedlove and the like. It was the beginning of the space age and everything seemed limitless.
    Compare that to today when names like Tom Burkland and Andy Green resonate with only a few.
    I'm glad I was a kid back then! It really was an exciting time that really has no comparison today

10. In 71 I was teaching school and one of my students gave me a blazer with solid Budweiser labels. The administration had a fit when I wore it to school. I had to wear a tie and a coat was preferred, they really did not like my choice. I had some pretty neat ties back then too..... kinda wish I'd kept that stuff now.

11. donnie

donnie
    from NC

I think that was even more cheesier than the 555 commercial, if that is possbile.
    I remember the Bud swimming pool, the Bud canoes, I remember Ed Mcmahon as the Bud spokesman, and I remember Mrs. Olson! I must be old.
    Do not remember seeing the Model A or the Moonliner.

12. Fire extinguisher vs. lions..................you sir are a crazy fucker.

13. sololobo

sololobo

What a blast, the color ? is very interesting, the tech. abilities we have now were not all available at that time period. Fun video, Thanx for sharing!! ~Sololobo~

14. RichG

RichG

Blasting lions in the nuts with a fire extinguisher...I'd say that those "Jackass" guys have nothing on you!

...and to think I thought some of my jobs sucked!:p

15. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Huh! WTF

16. Plowboy

Plowboy

Sweet! Was that Don Cornelius as the flagger? Ha Ha Ha

17. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Hahahaha man I can just see it...

"Here kitty kitty kitty..."

FWOOOOSH!!!! :eek:

18. So Doug, what was your biggest fear, that the lions would get pissed or amorous ?

19. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

Question already answered, but another thought. That car was red when Jocko still had it. Maybe it was before Moon painted it yellow?

20. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Well, I guess we know who has the biggest balls between
    Doug and the Lions:):)

Exactly what was the lions response anyway???

21. a bloke

a bloke

'I had to go in with the lions and blast 'em in their nuts with a fire exinguisher so they would move around.'

I think that's the best sentence I've ever read on any forum, ever.

kiwijeff likes this.
  22. @Ryan ... you're right, very cheezy ... but thanks for posting ... I've really enjoyed these videos from the @Mazooma1 archives ... hope there's more to come.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  23. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

What the hell, Steve?I thought you were on my side!

GRAHAM , i am on your side , but that doesnt change the fact your ez ! LOL .. steve

24. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Uhm Steve...wrong thread!

Everyone, please don't mind my friend Steve... he's lost and easily confused!

25. we had a mrs olsen in the neigborhood when i was growing up and she hated those folgers commercials. we used to ride our bikes by and ask if we could borrow some folgers coffee. it was funny until she flung a bottle at us breaking on the sidewalk giving 2 of us flat tires on our bikes! we found out years later she was so drunk all the time she thought we were calling her mrs. robinson because she had been nailing all the teenage boys in the neigborhood, lucky bastards!

26. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

Mazooma would that make you the key grip or the best boy? I'da asked for a producer title before going in there.

No lion handlers on the set? TOday PETA would protest you for soaking the lions' nuts.

27. BlueHowler

BlueHowler

Gary Gabelich, the great driver, has his name on both the 555 and Bud commercial cars. Check out his crazy racing life sometime.

28. Larry T

Larry T

The thing I remember reading about the car was building the 12 (??) stack headers for the BBC.
    Larry T

29. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Here kitty fwoosh hahahahahahah
    I allways wanted a bud pool like that one.
    Those were the days of cheesy coolness. Platform shoes,,,,,,,,,REALLY!!!
    Good thread.

30. This thread will now be referred to as the Lions balls thread!