Register now to get rid of these ads!

Replacement VIN Plate

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tuxedo, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Tuxedo

Tuxedo

Saw a few options in the classified section for guys making repro VIN plates, but was looking for something a little more original looking. My father is having some trouble registering his '47 pontiac custom as it's missing the VIN from the firewall. He has the title and correct serial number and the car is 100% legit.

Anybody make an original looking stamped VIN plate?

2. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

I had a VIN plate made as I had the same problem you are having. I will e mail you the info as soon as I locate the phone #
    Thanks
    Frenchy

3. Lucky444

Lucky444

4. cheap-thrills

cheap-thrills
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. panic

panic

I'd explain, but it's already been hammered to death.

One of these fine days, all those guys making those VIN tags are going to be visited by the FBI, ACU, state BCI, whatever. They're not very bright, but they have lots of time and money.
    Gues what they're going to find in his file cabinet?
    That's right - your invoice, with your car info and name & address on it, and perhaps even a picture or impression of the plate.

Wait a while, it's now 2012.
    Bing-bong - we're here for your car. And you.
    You have a good story to tell? Your attorney can make that part of your plea.
    You invested another $20,000 since then? Too bad, we keep all of it.
    Will we give it back if you're not convicted? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
    Already sold the car? Pay the buyer his money back, because it's not your car.

6. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Bingo! trim tags are one thing but a Vin tag is a No No

7. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

What exactly is the "trouble" your having at the DMV?
    If you have the title either mail it in or bring it down there and title and register it. and you could run around with plates untill a cop stops you and is really bored and decides to look for the VIN. If it needs a safety inspection to be titled, in WI they would issue a new VIN and the state trooper will also rivit it on the car, (with their own special rivits)
    This would be your best option. I wouldnt attatch a VIN youself whether it's a re pop, or home made unless you're looking for some prison time.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  8. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

9. Swifster

Swifster

The problem with re-VINing a car is when you commit fraud. Changing stuff from one car to another is the problem. If you have the proper paperwork for your car, you'll be fine. Making a Hemi Cuda convertible from a base Barracuda and sell it as the real deal will get you a visit from law enforcement.

Most states have a process to get a duplicate VIN made and installed. They will usually do the installation for you (usually done by the state police).

10. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

This is the only right way, that I know of to accomplish what you are trying to do. I agree that it might not be the easiest.

11. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

A.G Backeast makes trim tags (and they're very nice) but I don't believe he will do VIN tags.

12. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

He was going to do one for me for my old '22 T because it never had a vin tag just the engine #. I was going to pick a later type tag, and have that # on that, but I never did. He did want paper work to varify that I was the real current owner.

13. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Panic hit it right on the head. If even the rivets are not correct we IMPOUNDED the car on the spot for further investigation. You want your car to sit in impound for MONTHS while the police get around to checking the Vin?

And yes I can say even a simple traffic stop MAY result in the officer checking your Vin and if it "doesn't look right" that is enough to impound the car as there is no "probable cause" needed to inspect a motor vehicle. And yes the majority of police officers are taught what to look for on vin tags to look for anomalies and take enforcement action against offenders.

In most states the simple act of manufacturing an incomplete vin identification plate is a criminal violation and a Federal violation always unless you are an original manufacturer of motor vehicles. And those that affix the said plate to a vehicle are complicit in the crime. (don't screw one on for your friends... in fact don't even hang around when he does it.)

You can rant and rave all you want but a majority of states give the right to police to be an authority to inspect vehicles along with Motor vehicle inspectors so in most cases if they have "mere suspicion" something isn't correct they can and will impound for further investigation.

Which may involve physically SCRAPPING OFF PAINT OR POWDERCOAT to revile "hidden Vins".

Bottom line if your car doesn't have a vin because it's an old put together hot rod most states have something like "composite vehicles" where you can legally register a car you put together from parts of several vehicles and they will issue you a nice new state issued Vin.

14. Tuxedo

Tuxedo

Ok... first off this is NJ we're talking about. The problem with the DMV is that they want a rubbing of the VIN plate showing the VIN number that matches the title. The firewall of the car in question was replaced prior to my father purchasing it, and the VIN tag was removed.

Just to reiterate, I'm not looking to do anything that would get anyone in trouble... just trying to find the most cost effective way to get a legit car through some red tape.

15. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

Your original VIN tag is gone. The ONLY way to get a new one is from your state police done through your DMV. It'll be a new number, they'll rivit it on...Your one and only option.

16. panic

panic

The problem with re-VINing a car is when you commit fraud.
    Not true. No fraud need be alleged to seize the car. "Innocence" is not true here: you knew that the tag you had was not original. Lack of criminal intent ("mens rea") is a potential defense - tell your lawyer to be sure to use it in his closing argument.
    Every act involved with a fake VIN replacement is a separate felony, and can be separately charged, with consecutive sentences:
    1. making a fake VIN
    2. asking for a fake VIN is a criminal conspiracy
    3. owning a fake VIN
    4. attaching a fake VIN
    5. representing the fake VIN as proof of ownership

If you have the proper paperwork for your car, you'll be fine.
    You have to r e a d the prior posts.
    He has no paperwork for that car. He has paperwork for some car - but it's not that car.

For everyone who sympathizes with this problem ("what's the guy supposed to do?") - these laws are the only thing preventing some scumbag from lifting your car and making his own VIN, complete with another sad story of how the dog ate his VIN tag. He buys a title on Craig's list or eBay, makes a VIN, and he's got your car. Since it can only be traced by the VIN and prior owner - how are you going to find it, let alone get it back?

This is all going to come down to whether NJ (a notorious ball-busting State, in my experience) wants to believe your story. They don't have to. The more complete and detailed the explanation you give them the better chance you have (IMHO), but be warned: legally, it's not a car anymore when the VIN is removed, and they can not only refuse to title it - they can seize it themselves.

17. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Is there a hidden Vin on the frame too, many cars were getting frame numbers by then too. if there is try getting a rubbing from the frame

18. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

As what was mentioned in some of the previous posts, are the reasons to get your paperwork taken care of or knowing what you have to do to get a title, before going very far into the build. If you know you have a bunch of hoops to jump through, before hand, you can document it along the way. That doesn't mean that the rules aren't going to change, they could.

19. johnboy13

johnboy13

Here in Illinois, in order to get a special build VIN, you have to have a title for the chasis, and bills of sale for all of the other parts used, they will then send a State Trooper to pin a new VIN tag to the vehicle.

20. WQ59B

WQ59B

A bit of a tangent : I went thru NJ state channels to title my Ford, which I bought without a title (technically illegal). Frame VIN stamp was so light, I could not get a legible pencil rub, so I had to get a notarized statement as to what the VIN read. Notary did not actually read the stamp, nor watch me 'transcribe' it, but everything is legit.... and eventually the state gave me a title (there's a whole rack of hoops to jump thru). Just saying- there is still plenty of 'slop' in the system... but in no way would I risk my vehicle against it.

21. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

22. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

Buddy put an 88 cab on his 79 ford supercab 4x4. We didn't have a title for the 88 just a junk receipt. He built it and put the old cab in the bed so the vin was "somewhere on the vehicle" and had it towed in to the dmv, they looked at the vin on the old cab and gave him a new state issued rebuilt vehicle vin.

23. Cpittaluga

Cpittaluga

24. The vehicle number for a '47 Pontiac should be on the RIGHT A-pillar door post, IIRC.

That tag under the hood is a TRIM TAG and lists things such as model, paint code, and such. NO vehicle number is located on that plate!

25. ironhill

ironhill
    from Simms, MT
    1. Montana Hamber's

I have - had a 47 Pontiac as well and the "trim tag" on the firewall also has the vin number stamped on it as well and is used as the vin tag. I didn't have the paper work on my car when I purchased it and had to jump through all the hoops to get a title, it should be showing up any day now. No tag on the A-pillar like the chevrolets.

26. Jim Mothershead

Jim Mothershead

I can help........
    I can help...........

Attached Files:

27. Jim Mothershead

Jim Mothershead

28. Jim Mothershead

Jim Mothershead

I can help.........
    410 474 2244

Attached Files:

29. Jim Mothershead

Jim Mothershead

I can help
    Jim 410 474 2244

Attached Files:

30. Jim Mothershead

Jim Mothershead

All 50 States require a VIN plate today regardless of year. Early vehicles from 1887 through about 1934 did not have a VIN plate. For instance a Ford Model A...VIN was on the engine, clutch & brake bracket and MAYBE under the driver's door FORD sill plate. If a SB Chevy goes in it , the serial numbers are gone. If you have a wooded GM from 1903 to 1936 first series, the body sits on two wooden stringers. The plate is usually located under the floor board, nailed on top of the right stringer behind the battery box. Mild steel nails hold it on to the wood...by WWII, the nails are rusted away and so is the plate. If you bought this project out of North Dakota with a good title, there are 38 States that will require VIN verification prior to registering the car to the new owner Mothershead created SLUGS Car Club in 1957.JPG Nats East 1980, NSRA life time members.JPG when finally on the road.
    Jim, bangin' on old cars since 1957.