Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs A Simple '49 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

That thing is just right. My first car was a '49 Ford Tudor with about the same mild stuff done except for the Merc grille (mine had no grille at all!).
    Thanks for the post.

3. 50shoe

50shoe

nice car. lose the bumper guards though, IMHO.

the unchopped cars look best when moderately lowered... like 3 in front 4 in back or so.

thanks for the pics...

4. geemann51

geemann51

EXACTLY what I was going to say; it's all about the stance with unchopped cars.

5. That's a Canadian 49-50 Meteor grille and surround.......

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

no shit?

7. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

You guys are right on. I love two-door shoeboxes, but you have to give much respect to anything that looks as nice as that four-door.

Also? It runs. I own a '49 Club Coupe that ain't finished and doesn't run. At all. So I can definitely appreciate the nicety of having a running, finished four-door.

Shoeboxes rule!

8. Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  9. jim

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

11. 4 door? :confused:

12. Those Meteor gilles are worth their weight in gold, have seen them as high as $2500 bucks at Portland Swap meet and they actually sold before the first day was over. And not too many were ever made. Merc grille cutdown and rechromed would be cheaper and more realistic if you want to finish your car. Took me 10 years to find and acquire a 51 Meteor grille and would have never happened if not for the HAMB.

13. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

Looked at a sedan for sale one time and couldn't figure out why it looked so good.
    The guy points out to me that he eliminated all four vent windows. Really subtle.
    I think it made the proportions better than a coupe.

14. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

That's one SLICK shoebox......

15. guitarmook

guitarmook
    from Austin, TX

That's the stance I'm goin for!

16. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Makes me wish I still had mine.

17. autobilly

autobilly

Yeah, four door kustoms have their place, especially for guys with young families.

18. Squablow

Squablow

That's what I'm talking about

Notice how a few people on here thought that car was a 4 door? It's the rear quarter window vents that really make it look like a 4 door. I can deal with the bumper guards, but I think the car would look so much better with one piece rear quarter window glass.

You could leave the front vent windows in, just the back ones look so out of place.

Honestly, I'm not that hot for the frenched headlights on this one either.

19. autobilly

autobilly

Doh!:eek:
    I had a proper look this time, Squablow you're rite about the rear quarter windows.

20. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

The cool thing about a meteor shell vs. a sectioned Merc shell is that the upper corners are slightly more "squared off" than they would be with a sectioned Merc shell. The Merc shell is perfectly proportionate, but when you section 6 or so inches out of the middle, the corners tend to seem very round and bulky. Not that its a bad look, but next to a Meteor shell, its alot different.

I have a line on one but its a million miles away.

21. flathead fred

flathead fred

Also never under-estimate the power of the Desoto grill. I would have to say I am happy with the stance of my unchopped 51 Shoebox

grill 1.jpg

22. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

I live in Canada and had a hard time finding a '51 Meteor grill. Then I found two within 6 months.

23. unchopped 49 Business Coupe !, Foxcraft Merc cut downs, Olds Feista caps !

Attached Files:

24. Ozzie

Ozzie

Buy mine, Buy mine!!!

25. 49coupe

49coupe

It's photos like these that always make me laugh when a guy chops a shoebox 6" front and 7.5 or more in the back to get that nice fastback look, airbags it so the frame sits on the ground, paints it flat black, sticks in 350/350 with a 3' shifter with a nice '80s tilt column, mexican blanket interior with plywood door panels and calls it a traditional kustom. This thing looks clean and has more class than a stocker. That's why it was kustomized.

The Meteor surrounds are a bitch to find in decent shape since our climate was not kind to metal up here. A Meteor grille is narrower than a Merc to fit a shoebox. I have a spare one in case anyone is looking for one. I found a stainless one last year to put into my car. They are next to impossible to find. Most were plated steel. I believe they were '49 only and not at all plants.

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've always had a thing for that car.

27. thesupersized

thesupersized

yea, some times i kind of wish i had searched for a merc shell over the meteor shell for my car, but the price was right...i got the grill shell, hood latch, valence pan(which im going to change over to the stock one again) and the front section of the hood that i saved...but recently had to use to fix a rotted 51 hood..all i had to do was pay shipping and the gas for the hamber to drive out and rip the shit out of the car laying in a dried up river bed.. up in canada.

28. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Ya, and I hate you for that. I have a friend in Vancouver buying a parts car for me and ripping off the entire front clip and then we need to figure out how to get it to me. Ugh! I have a '49 Merc shell, cut your meteor shell out and trade me!

29. You should go out and buy a lottery ticket.

30. Cool.... even though i like the stock bullet grille better!!