Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Hot Rod Pioneer Lynn Yakel Passes.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Aug 11, 2008.

1. I was just reading the "Society of Land Speed Racing Historians" Newsletter and read that Lynn Yakel had passed away. :(

R.I.P. and condolences to his family.

Attached Files:

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The old time talent is slipping away from us. RIP

Frank

3. Alfred Lynn Yakel (February 26, 1929 - July 27, 2008​).jpg
    Alfred Lynn Yakel
    February 26, 1929 - July 27, 2008

Very, very sad news! :(

Lynn Yakel was a true pioneer of our hobby!

His Deuce 5wd was the inspiration for my father's coupe:

Lynn Yakel 5wd - 1951 Hot Rods TREND BOOK NO. 102, Pages 72-73.jpg
    Lynn Yakel's chopped & channeled "brilliant maroon" 5wd ... as featured in the 1951 Hot Rods TREND BOOK NO. 102.

Mr. Yakel retired from Douglas Aircraft and was world renowned in aerodynamics in the land speed vehicle field ... He designed the Larsen-Cummins Moon Eyes streamliner which was far ahead of its time (over 300 MPH):

Lynn-yakel-design.jpg

He also designed motorcycle streamliners for Don Vesco, Dennis Manning and various Indianapolis cars through the years.

Lynn was also heavily involved with Mercedes Gull Wing's ... I believe this is the last Bonneville car he was involved with:

Bob Sirna, Lynn & Roberta Yakel.jpg
    DVD cover.jpg
    Fitch @ Bville.jpg
    1955%20Gullwing.jpg

His wife (Dr. Roberta J. Nichols Yakel) passed away in April 2005 ... so Lynn is with her now ... and they both will be watching over next week's 60th Annual Speed Week together :)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  4. We sure are losing the greats of our hobby lately. R.I.P.

5. L.A.-Bar

L.A.-Bar
    from Lforida

I well remember his '32 when it was a feature car in Hot Rod Magazine in the early '50s. I met Yeakel at Bonneville in '98 while he and his crew (wife and a pal) were working on the Gull Wing. He bristled when I mentioned Gus Stallings, another MB salt racer, and immediatly told me he "...put Gus on the trailer back in the '60s." Yaekel kindly spent a few more precious minutes chatting with me and I turned and walked a few feet away - out of sight- where I put a new roll of film (remember film?) I heard him laugh and say "If that guy knew what an asshole I am he'd never have stopped to talk."