Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955-56 ford car replacement floor pans (Which supplier)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, Dec 14, 2012.

1. I am needing to replace all four floor pans in my 56 ford 2dr sedan, the toe boards seem fine so I'm not going to bother. I have seen pans from multiple suppliers such as: Dennis Carpenter,Mac's,Larry's Birds and so forth but the ones I have been very impressed by were E.M.S. The only problem is I'm not willing to spend $730 shipped to me. I mean the pans are the right thickness and great quality.....but damn!

Any suggestions? I need good quality pans and close to original specs but no sodamn exspensive. If you have used any of the suppliers and was satisfied please post what your thoughts are and any pictures of the floor pans installed.

Thanks - 56 Ford Custom

2. flathead41ford

flathead41ford
    from Mentor OH

I had to use the small patch panels for the front of my 55. I used the ones from macs. They needed some work to fit perfect, but they were a decent gauge and I was happy with them. I thought I had pics before paint of them in my car, but they must be on my computer which is broken right now. The pic is after paint.

Attached Files:

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I bought mine from someone locally who sells 55/6 ford parts so no shipping costs,not sure who made them but seemed to be the correct thickness.

4. I was contemplating on getting the pans from mac's

5. You got lucky on that deal.

6. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

Try Dearborn Classics

7. I have honestly checked with every supplier and all the pans look flimsy or cheap compared to E.M.S. sheet metal. I really don't know what to do. Mac's is offering free shipping and it ends today

8. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Then jump on it! I'm just gonna make mine. ( But I relly only need patches) I have never seen the macs pans but if it's in your price range and has free shipping..... That seems like a pretty good deal . All the parts I have gotten form macs were nice ( allthought never got any 56 parts )

9. I'm just worried because I have a lot invested in my car and don't want poor quality parts on it just because it was "cheap" "or "free shipping"

10. I'm sure people in the HAMB's 1952-59 Ford Social Group would be more than glad to offer their opinions or past experiences with various suppliers.

11. Check out these guys... they are old school, had to mail them a check for my cab braces. Very good people to work with. Good quality stuff as well.

Jeff

12. I will have to try them! Thanks

13. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

14. I bought a really solid 4 door body for a few hundred bucks. Spent a weekend drilling spot welds. Stuck it in my 2door sedan. Worked out fine. Don't know if this will work on a hardtop. Sold the roof for what I paid for the body.

15. fullsizejohn

fullsizejohn

I am in the same boat. Also like you, i cant see shelling out that kinda cash....at least all at once. Since i am trying not to get in a hurry with my driver build, i am thinking i will buy the better of the available panels one at a time. That will take some of the sting out of it.

I have already gotten rear quarters, rockers and the trunck drop offs from Macs. They look fine to me.

16. Yeah...I think I will be doing the same as you. Get each floor panel at a time. I would like to get the best and not have issues later. The others just look too flimsy.

By the way is your mainline a 55 or 56? My 56 is actually a 56 mainline 2dr sedan.

17. fullsizejohn

fullsizejohn

My 56 is a mainline...or at least thats what i have settled on. The body tag states its a "70A".

18. Awesome. Same here. I still kind of want the upper trim piece for the color devider

19. ems customer service

ems customer service

To: 56 ford custom

i saw your post a few days ago it was brought to my attention by another hamber. It took me few days to write a good reply

i see by your last post you may have decided to go with ems products. My post may be dated at this time but i think it should be posted and hope it does not offend you after the fact

the ems guy
    --------------------------------------
    my reponse to your original post:

I take exception to sections of your post,

a big thank you for positive attitude that ems makes the best panels, we have worked hard to get this reputation.

But your comments on price and shipping pose a concern.

Your indication and (i may be confused) that you were upset by the total cost of parts and shipping cost.

Your indicated cost of $730 with shipping is not necessarily correct but it also can be? , i do not know what parts you asked for, ems automotive makes many parts for 55/56 fords and you can spend alot less and a lot more.

Many guys call us and asked for the price of everything and get shocked at the cost. Which can be less of more than your number.

We try hard to ask customers about exactly where there car is rusted to get them the parts they need no more or no less.

Building a car can take a guy along time if doing the work at home, so buying in smaller quantities can make alot of sense which is why all of us at ems are not worried about selling more than the customer needs, we look at this way if you need more later then buy more later.

Thank you again for mentioning the quality and fit of the ems automotive products.

But don’t you think your car would be worth more and you would feel better having the best parts in your project vs using some hand fab’d parts and then trying to justify the choice by a low price??

Further in thread it is indicated that only some smaller panels are needed and they can be gotten cheaper some where else. But why is that 2 small parts from another vendor is compared to a multi parts quote from ems auto, this is where i think we are treated some what unfairly.

You mention free shipping, there is no free shipping in this world the e cost has to be put somewhere either as shipping or buried in to the cost of a lower quality and often imported part. Would shipping be high from ohio to california especially if shipping alot of heavy parts vs 2 smaller parts from somewhere else

ups and fed-ex has raised shipping cost 5% for 2013 and this is on top of a 5% to 22% increase in 2012.

About shipping i can pretty confident that ems is the only company that stands completely behind our packaging of product. If the products get damaged by ups or fedex we will replace the product.

We do not ask the customer to deal with these companies or to tell the customer the shipping damage is there problem. Your importer from china cant do this. They have to get rid of this inventory as they can not send it back to the factory in china.

We have all seen the threads about certain tool companies and the lack of ability to buy usa made products, all of these threads have many posts about “ i would pay more a quality usa made product”

we try hard to keep our costs low , but remember ems automotive manufactures our products in the usa with skilled american workers who make middle class american wages. Even our boxes are usa made!n we keep a warehouse full of cars to check fit and quality.

We maintains a american sales force that is technical and will get answers to your questions and get back to you with a answer. I had a customer in new zealand today that was overwhelmed that i would take time from my home to call him way over there. It is just who we are “ems automotive” and that is what we do. It is about the cars!

We mark our products with our name and phone number and application info. ( this label is made in the usa too!) we can be easily found on the hamb and other site’s ( we like the hamb the best), at car shows around the usa, we do not hide behind a web site with no contact info by phone or email. We are part of the community.

I do thank you for the comment, it challenges us to keep focused on the customer.

The ems guy

20. hotroddonnie

hotroddonnie

EMS is stamped on 30% of my car. A1!

21. I'm sorry if I affended you or anyone from E.M.S. it was not my intention by no means. I also have no doubt that your sheet metal or braces are the best in the industry. The product definitely shows it for itself. I am in shipping and receiving for a living so I know what it costs. I was just looking for some panels that were close and would save shipping. After I re thought it all...I decided that you can't compromise quality. So like others have said...I will buy a panel or two at a time. Its well worth it.

E.M.S. you have my business and it will be very soon. Thank you!

22. ems customer service

ems customer service

i did not feel offended at any time, your comments challenged me to think about how we do business. it is important to understand from both sides, the customer and the mfg. we can have all kinds of opinions and reasons on why we do something, but those views must fit into the expectations of the customer, your first post was a window to the other side

thanks

the ems guy

23. Thank you EMS guy

24. racemad55

racemad55

I used all the floor pans,rockers,front&rear quarters,inner rear quarters and also the panel under the trunk lid,on a56' sunliner. the best you can buy for these fords!

25. I'll take your word for it. I also need to replace the sheet metal under the trunk lid "tail pan" I'm concerned about the two seams were it meets the two quarters.

26. ems customer service

ems customer service

the seams are where they should be, some guys weld up the and grind it smooth, some leave the seam to see, and some spot weld and seam seal,

i like to weld and grind smooth

any more questions??

also we have new product in the works fro 55/6 ford, lower door bottom, inner structure and outer skin, should be done in april/may 2013

the ems guy