Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's your flavor: The '39 or the '40 DeLuxe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 21, 2012.

1. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I'd go with the 39 Deluxe or 40 Standard over a 40 Deluxe!
    I think an original 39 Deluxe grill is the best looking of all.
    So, how about a 39 deluxe with a 40 Dash!! Although I do like the wipers on the cowl, and the wing window is kind of nice, and those sargent stripe tail lights aren't as common as the teardrops, and.....

2. '39 or a '40 pickup. :)

3. fortynut

fortynut

In today's climate where everyone knows everything and never questions 'why', keep in mind that the Forty was a step ahead in the day. It had sealed beam headlights with easy to see parking lights (remember in order to signal a turn it was a matter of using your left arm), a column shift --- so you could carry a third passenger without having to reach into their personal space to change gears, and of course the tail-light area was larger and more visible making it safer. Sealing the front windshield and putting the wiper mechanism under the dash kept out dust and detritus, and made it easier to synchronize the wipers. And, as to the vent window, automobile air-conditioning was a decade and some few years away, and being able to alter the flow into the cockpit was meaningful. Ford stylists changed parts that would bolt on to the previous years bodies (with the exception of 1932) for model changes throughout the tenure of Henry Ford because he demanded that inventory created for an automobile design year be used up the next, changing the dash merely meant bolting in a new stamping (and, yes it does rock). Dies are expensive to create and Henry was if nothing miserly --- I have often wondered how they got that one by him. My choice would be a woodie. "If you got it, flaunt it."

4. Model T1

Model T1

I am actually surprised! Seems like the 39 Deluxe gets more votes than the 40 Deluxe. As long as I can remember, I wanted a 1940 Ford deluxe coupe. Sometime in the early 70's I was lucky enough to buy a 1939 deluxe coupe in our cul-de-sac. SBC and 57 Chevy Rear. Still own it altho I haven't driven it since late 70's. Long story!
    I actually never gave this any thought till now. I've also owned and driven several 39 4-door deluxe sedans, stock. Always still wanted a 40 deluxe coupe. Kinda still do!
    Still considered the 40 deluxe the best. That is till I read all of your comparisons. The 39 with crank out windshield, the neat way the door windows go back then down replacing the need for vent windows, the tear drop tail lights, the smoother simpe grille, even the more antique looking dash with thermometer type heat gauge, those smooth headlights, all make the 39 Ford smoother and cooler looking.
    Mine has sort of ugly yet "cute" J C Whitney type sealed beam headlight conversion kits. There is even a small marble type "cat eye" light for a parking lite on it. I had bought but never installed the 40 headlight rims because I love chrome. With modern bulb type halogon and LED lites now available I'd go back to the original smooth lenses and small rings.
    Even the hood is smoother and blends into the grille better.
    Oddly, I've always wanted a 1940 Ford deluxe and I own a 39 deluxe and a 1941 deluxe 2-door. The 41 Ford is another neglected good looking body style with tail lights also used only one year on the cars. Into the 50's on panel trucks.

After owning my 39 deluxe Ford coupe over 35+ years I realize I have the best of the two, 39 or 40 ! I'd still take a 40 coupe if I could afford it!
    It's like that other thread debate, a 31 Ford is just as nice looking as a 32 Ford. Just because a 32 and a 40 are more popular does not make them better. Makes me wonder now, why is a 40 Ford more desirable?:confused:

5. '39 Deluxe all the way. As you say jive bomber, the flush grille on the 39 is a piece of art flowing along with the body lines. Less is indeed more

6. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

'39 DeLuxe front end is about as handsome as it gets. I'd take either a '39 or '40 any day and be happy as a pig in poop. In my perfect fantasy world I'd have a '40 DeLuxe with a '39 DeLuxe front end... Best of both worlds:)

7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I've owned two '39 Coupes, one a Deluxe and one a Standard.

But the only car left on my bucket list is a '40 Deluxe coupe. I have wanted one since building an AMT model kit of one nearly 50 years ago.

Speaking of which, http://decalsbylucas.com/Cars_of_1940.html :)

8. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

9. b-bob

b-bob

I should be biased to 39's, but if i had my pic it would be a 40 standard.
    I prefer the 40's dash and wipers, but couldn't bring myself to change them on my 39.
    I also agree with the 39 convertables because of the shorter roof.

10. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a little partial to the '39 since I used to have one:

[​IMG]

'Course I had the best of both worlds, having the '40 headlamp doors on it. I think it confused people 'cuz they'd tell me they liked my "'40". I do prefer the '39 Deluxe headlamp design and the ventless door glass, but other than that it's really a close call.

I'd still take a '40 though... if I HAVE to.... I guess... ;)

11. bobscogin

bobscogin

+1 !!

Bob

12. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

'39 DeLuxe, by a mile. My dad prefers '40s but he's old. :D Seems like the rich guys prefer the '40s. They've always been worth more. But every detail that changed for '40 was better in '39, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love them both, and owning a '39-40 coupe is a bucket-list item for me!

13. Model T1

Model T1

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by 41PICUP [​IMG]
    How about the 40 Standard ! Thats my favorite.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>+1 !!
    That wasn't a choice for you guys trying to cheat !;)

14. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'39 Deluxe by a hair...the flip out windshield and lack of wing windows does it for me. Here is one I knocked together a few years ago..

[​IMG]

-Abone.

rust&patina and Hnstray like this.
  15. I have owned both,,the 39 was just more sexy.....so I prefer them..
    and today,so many guys completly ruin a 40 dash with the change of their dash cluster to a damn billet one with S-Ws in it

16. lbrunkala

lbrunkala

Well, I have to go with a 39! I like the 40's, but 39 is my first choice.

17. vegas

vegas

I prefer the '39 also, the grill and headlamps look much better than a '40 to me, and who doesn't love '39 Ford tail lights! I also like the opening front window.

18. flatjack

flatjack

39 DeLuxe - course I've got one.

19. 39, cleaner details .... the 40 headlights look clunky to me.

20. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

Have to say the 39 because I just picked one up! Thanks Spencer, needs lots of work but in the long run will be worth it. Can't wait to get started on it.

21. Fourdy

Fourdy

I have always been partial to the 40 Dlx. This one runs a blown 276 flatty.

Fourdy

Attached Files:

22. seatex

seatex

'39 fenders, '40 standard grill...........................sorry, I just seem to bastardize everything! (Isn't admission the first step to getting help?)

23. Like em' both but if I was buyin' one for myself it would have to be a 39. I like the no vent windows and grill on the 39's better. It always seems like the 40 is more popular though.

24. kaydub

kaydub
    from Cali

All over a 39' deluxe!! And the dash, I prefer it to the car. It just goes better.

The 40' dash is almost too pretty for the car that goes with it....not that I wouldn't deal with it:)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

25. 39 because its cleaner

26. Deu55

Deu55

39. The grille,lights,windscreen,floor shift and tail lights do it for me..but do agree that the 40 dash is a work of art....Rod....

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

27. Cshabang

Cshabang

39 for me. The hinged windshield is my favorite part, honestly i like all the small things in a 39 over a 40. except maybe the gauge cluster

28. mgbtc

mgbtc

As you say, they are essentually the same look, but there are a lot of differences. But since we have a 40, I have to stay true to it.

29. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

My first choice would be the '39. My Dad had one with a blown flathead back in '50.

30. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

the 40 Standard :rolleyes: