Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Black tire paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mschiffel, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Does anyone remember black tire paint sold in auto stores a few years ago?...I had purchased some made by Du Pont and I can't find it anywhere...I have a few good tires with yellowed whitewalls that I'd love to paint over....they are narrow whitewalls on a 1948 Chrysler that just don't look right.

2. Go to ace or true value hardware store, I don't remember the name but it is the same company that sells the bleach for whitewalls and they carry it at Ace or True Value.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Wesley's .......???

Ray

4. Wesley's Tire Black, fills the weather checks.
    Can't find it, so I use brake fluid.......

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have not seen black or white tire paint in any local parts stores recently. but, millertire.com offers black paint.

6. edweird

edweird

i remember back in the 70's we would paint the tires on our dirt track car.

7. 72hd

72hd
    BANNED

next time you are at the drags get some rubber chunks from behind the burnout box , soak them in solvent [gas thinner reducer kerosene] you get the idea.Soak & stir for a few days. It's been awhile but use to do good the best i can remember

8. Try a shop that sells automotive paints.

Charlie Stephens

9. metalman

metalman

Back in the early 70's I worked at an Earl Schrieb, you know, paint any car, 39.99 any color including jams and wheels. We didn't mask the tires, we had a gallon bucket of tire black with a big nasty brush, quick pass around the tire would cover the overspray, least long enough to get the car out of the lot!

10. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

11. fatboys69

fatboys69
    from Tennessee

just did some for my model a pickup, did white letters, i used black liquid shoe die
    ( for re dying sneakers, shoes etc.. ) has the sponge head on the end. takes about 2 -3 coats but covers very well and seems to hold up pretty good. CHEAP ALSO !!!

12. power58

power58

Burt Munro of Worlds fastest Indian fame, always used Kiwi shoe Polish.

13. I just ordered a quart from Miller Tire Co. online for $19.95 + S&H.....It's water soluble and a little goes a long way.....Thanks for the info...I'm checking out the Ace and Tru Value hardware stores too.

14. We used lamp black mixed in kerosene. Haven't seen lamp black in stores in 40 years. I discovered changing a flat in a rented white tux was real expensive.

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

We always used Esquire or Kiwi shoe polish at the car shows. (when car shows were car shows)

One of the judges was all over my partner's '29 hiboy, (1958) asked what we used on the tires...when I told him, he wrote '10' in the box.

He didn't even look at my shiny boots...LOL