Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 F100 hood hinge ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirtracer, Jul 18, 2011.

1. dirtracer

dirtracer

Hey! I am having a problem w/ hood hinges on a '54 F100. I need a pic of the mounting position. Do they bolt to the inner hood brace? This hood is missing the inner brace. Any help appreciated.

2. uc4me

uc4me

Yes they do mount on that brace

[​IMG]

3. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Nice pic uc4me. If that hood brace is missing you are in for all kinds of issues with the hood. All the structural integrity of the hood is based on that brace, without it the hood will flex and twist...not to mention the fact that you won't have a mounting site for your hinges. Even the front tilt kits use that mounting for the guide rollers. Time to find a new hood.
    BTW - just in case you didn't know it, the 54 hinge is different from the 56. Some folks believe them to be interchangeable but if you have 56 hinges you will have issues on your 54.

4. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

If your missing that brace you might want to think about doing a reverse tilt hood.

[​IMG]

5. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Jeez... I actually wouldnt mind seeing more pics of yours ! I am in the middle of a 54 panel...need some visual inspiration.

6. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

It's not mine I can only hope my 54 turns out like this one it's beautiful. It's a forum members on another board I frequent Ford Truck Enthusiast. The members name is sdetweil http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/garage/1955-Ford-F100-278-sdetweil.html

7. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Yes, yes, yes, yes,!You absolutely should seriously consider a front flip kit. I had my 54 panel since 2006, and no matter how hard we tried it absolutely refused to line up properly, and the re- pop hinges fitted so badly it was almost impossible to open the hood without two people. We fitted a flip kit earlier this year and solved the problem immediately. I got mine from midfifty.com, best money I ever spent and fitted in a day into existing holes, no extra drilling, fabrication required. In fact, I think the longest part of the job was getting it all lined up correctly, you know.

Attached Files:

8. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I almost forgot, if you do use a kit from mid-50, phone first, ask to speak to Diane and tell her you want the no-frills kit like she sold to Paul Dawkins in England.
    Best of luck whatever you decide
    Paul

9. Had a '53 F-100 and the hood with the stock hinges was a nightmare :mad: that I never could get adjusted to work right. Always had to go around and push down on the back corners to get it to fit tight. The front tilt system looks like the way to go, but that just my 2 cents worth :rolleyes:

10. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

I dont know about dirtracer, but you guys talked me into it. My stock hinges were crap on my truck, and wont be any better on this panel...thank you all.

11. hr31hr

hr31hr
    from PA

I have a BMW hinge and drawing with dimensions I took from another truck if anyone wants to build a reverse set up from scratch. Yours for the shipping.

12. dirtracer

dirtracer

Thanks for the info gentlemen, it is going to be a flip kit for me!