Register now to get rid of these ads!

HOW Many HP's can you realistically get out of a Flattie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MattStrube, May 3, 2004.

1. Haha! Iwas goimg to post that! speed costs money,how fast can you afford to go?

2. Now that's funny!

3. tedster

tedster

Tell em how much money you have in that good lookin engine.

4. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

NMCarNut
    What are the specs on the cam in the engine pictured and dynoed? Valve sizes, etc?
    Thanks
    Jim

5. Every dyno has it's own numbers -- some are known to be a bit optimistic. I'd love to know what is in this 284 cube motor to make 200 HP . . . would also love to see it on somebody else's dyno :rolleyes:

6. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The basic specs are:
    8BA block ported and relieved with heavy duty center main cap
    Scat 4-1/8" stroke crankshaft
    Scat H-beam forged rods
    Ross 3-5/16" Forged pistons with stock dome
    1.6" SST valves (intake and exhaust)
    Isky Max 1 camshaft and 185G springs
    Mercury EAC heads with machined valve pockets

And yea, seeing more than a few optimistic dynos around I fully understand the comment. But seeing what a few of the other engines actually do that come off this dyno I tend to believe the results at least as much as any other I see FWIW.

7. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

Well I thought $16500....but I totaled it up and it was just under $17000

8. collectorjohn

collectorjohn
    from Mentor OH

Sorry if I posted this twice, Will the increased compression from a set of aluminum heads make the already slow cranking 6v starter worse?

9. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

KWMPA
    You've got a lot of nerve keeping those receipts around the house. LOL
    Jim

10. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

jimmy im 26 and single...and dont really have any bills so i invest in cars...

11. jdo65

jdo65
    from webster wi

i have a 239 merc crank four barrel carb stock heads stock cam adjustable lifters in my truck its in front of a c4 with 3.0 rear end gears. it gets up and runs good if i went up with the rear end gears I'm sure she would spin the tires all day long. the thing is it doesn't sound like a sbc it sounds like Henry wanted it to

12. grander

grander

What is red line for a Flathead?

13. Wow....$17,000.00 in that pretty flathead......?

14. wearymicrobe

wearymicrobe
    from San Diego

It can but there are tons of other variables that effect cranking torque required. Most of the time a proper rebuild of the starter is enough to overcome any compression related issues.

4000 is where all the doc's that I have stop posting power numbers. I am sure that mine can spin higher then that but whats the point. With all the power down low in the rpm range you should be more worried about gearing.

15. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

I'm taking advantage of the low-end torque by running a 700R4 tranny, with the lowest (automatic) 1st gear and the high overdrive, you get the best of both worlds...also a 411 banjo helps. Run some skinnys and make some smoke !!!

16. Yikes. There's a man who loves his flatties. I love the way they look and sound, but I couldn't shell that kind of dough for that low of a horsepower number. My opinion, no disrespect meant.

17. kendall66

kendall66
    from iowa

i have really been enjoying this thread.

18. firingorder1

firingorder1

Figuring out how much HP you can get from a flattir is really simple. Do some research and find out how much HP Bobby Meeks and Jazzy Nelson got from their flathead. And then divide by two.

19. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

Yeah pretty much

None taken. Spending that kinda cash isn't about the HP numbers that motor represents Racing's past....it's a symbol of where we have come from. Yeah it's a lot to pay for something like that but I'd do it everyday of my life if I could....and yes flatheads are beyond an obsession for me...I mean he'll I own a 1949 ford instustal power unit with a 337ci flathead in it

20. HambBurglar

HambBurglar
    from Cincinnati

Can anyone explain what "undersquare design" means and how it relates to torque?
    Also, if the center main bearing is a weak link, are the main cap straps that are advertised really a good, cheap method to strengthen the center main? I am planning a 276 flattie for my 30 A coupe. Is lightening the flywheel the right choice for this car? This will be my first flathead, so tips from the truly experienced are a huge help.
    Lastly, the car will have a T5 trans and 9" rear. So, if that eliminates the weak links behind the motor, do I have free reign to drive like a 50's teenager? Ha Ha

21. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Hey Guys, I just purchased a 1938 Ford sedan with an 85 horse flatty. Would like to run down the expressway at 65 or 70 for 6+ hour or so on occasion.
    Will it do it as is:confused: or what do I need to change to make so it will?

22. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

HamBurglar>>>Can anyone explain what "undersquare design" means and how it relates to torque?>>>

Stroke length is greater than cylinder diameter. Highest torque usually develops at lower rpms than oversquare designs.

Jack E/NJ

23. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

stroke length is greater than cylinder diameter= undersquare
    stroke= to diameter of cylinder..."square"
    cylinder diameter greater than stroke= oversquare

24. flatjack

flatjack

Get an overdrive trans. or change rear axle to 3.54 gears.

25. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

The biggest wall in the Flathead Ford horsepower equation is the so called transfer area and combustion chamber position relative to the intake valve. The incoming air charge is choked off as it passes the intake valve seat and smacks straight into the cyl head. It's obvious there is a fundamental restriction evidenced by the 150- 180hp plateau. The thinking behind the transfer area of the cyl head is to get the charge to turn down into the cyl. This works fine at low rpm, but get up into the performance range and that transfer area needs to be raised up. The only practical way to do this is to use a high dome or pop up piston with a corresponding raised combustion chamber and transfer area.

Lycoming had a different idea on improving breathing efficiency on a sidevalve engine. I think the existence of this design proves that there is a need for improvement in this area.

[​IMG]

26. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

2x, Yep like the banger, top end for the consumer is in gearing. Just my .02cents

27. jipp

jipp

I have a question for you.. i know most guys on here like there 3 pedals.. but i cant drive one because of a accident.. so im stuck with a auto.. out of curiosity.. using the trans you did would that hurt performance lets say of a stock flat.. or do you have to build it up first before you can use a auto..
    odd question, but iv always just assumed you needed a stick with 4 bangers and what not to take advantage of what little they had to offer.

not decided on a engine for my winter project.. probably gonna be a slant 6. but i have a 2.3 i could have for free but iv not accepted simply because iv always figured it would be worthless with out a stick.

anyhow, nice engines and thanks.
    chris.

28. Normbc9

Normbc9

I used t see the Scotty's Muffler Shop (Colton, CA) that had a 336 flathead with an Ardun conversion OHV and Algon injectors get 466hp at the rear wheels of a T bucket Dragster. That was in 1959.
    Normbc9

29. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

This is the top end of Flathead performance.

Rick Schnell's 930 Hp nitro breathing beast, also known as the world's fastest flathead powered dragster. It runs into the sevens @ 175+, but has a short life span (he pushed the head gasket out the side on his 3rd pass the day I snapped this pic).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. jipp

jipp

holy smokes that flathead is bad to the bone.. and seems like it was a expensive run.. but i bet the guy will love the bragging rights for years to come? heh. im saving that photo, love the look of the flat heads.
    chris.