Register now to get rid of these ads!

Straight Axle/Cross Steering Set Up Do and Dont's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FunnyCar65, Nov 13, 2010.

1. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

I'd like to start a end all tell all thread on straight axles set up with cross steering.Whats the best way, best parts to use.Input by those that have done it with success please.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  2. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

man i read this title to fast, i thought it read "Straight Axle/ Cross Steering Set Up To Do Doughnuts"

3. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Any tech tips and or photos of the proper way to set up the drag link to prevent bump steer?

4. Hi,I know you want the pitman arm level so ya don't create bumpsteer.Also,I set up the axle so the kingpin inclination was 7 degrees back at the top.

5. lawman

lawman

her are a few pics of a cross steer and Vega box on a 51 chevy truck frame and 38 Chevy cab. Hope these help.Tom (Tired Old Man)

Attached Files:

6. RAY With

RAY With

Totally agree -Bump steer on a straight axle is lethal to your health

7. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

You'll want a pan hard bar on cross steer.

8. Actually a panhard bare is a good idea on any setup. But I see it as a necessity on a cross steer.

9. So true on the panhard bar!!! I forgot to mention that!

10. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

This is the kinda info I'm after.I see alot of parallel leaf spring set ups with out a panhard?

11. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Anybody got a pic of one with a panhard bar ---wheres the best places to attache it so it ain't ugly?

12. Martys 55

Martys 55

heres a pic of mine not the best pic i will take a couple for you this week marty

Attached Files:

13. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

The dead spring perch looks like a tidy alternative to a panhard bar.

14. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

If you have parallel leaf springs, you don't need a panhard bar. My Chevy II is set up that way with a Speedway kit.

15. C/Gas55

C/Gas55

Parallel leafs should not run perfectly "parallel" to each other. If they do, you will need a panhard bar.

16. A pan hard bar is kind of like a backyard sway bar. No before some ass hat tires to say I said it was a sway bar I did not say it was or is a sway bar. So we can overcome that little bit of drama before it starts.

I helps keep everything in line. Leaf springs have some lateral strength by nature but they are designed to go up and down. The pan hard bar keeps it from swaying from side to side. On any steering setup your steering box for all intents and purposes is stationary if the suspension moves to the side and the steering box doesn't move with it something has to give. Normally your wheels turn to make up for the difference. It is more acute on a car with cross steer; where the steering box is solid in the chassis and the link reaches across to cause the wheels to turn when it is moved.

So if you use something to keep your suspension from moving from side to side you limit that motion. A properly set up pan hard bar will accomplish that. Build it so that at rest it is level or nearly level. A good idea also is to make the panhard bar as long as possible. That way it swings a longer smother arc and the motion of the suspension doesn't affect it as much.

Actually a watts link works even better but it does take some engineering. Might look for someone who has built one or knows the geometry of one to help you out or draw you a picture if you decide to go that route.

17. Porknbeaner,

Which side of the frame should a pan hard bar be mounted to? I seem to recall reading somewhere that it should be attached to the DRIVERS SIDE of the frame.

18. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

It makes no difference, unless something is in the way.