Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking at a 1940 Plymouth business coupe, opinions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by highrolla7, May 4, 2010.

1. PUNK RODDER

PUNK RODDER
    from KC, MO.

Here is what my fellow PUNK ROD member Dave is doing with his 47 coupe. I know it's not the same car as yours but similar lines. Pretty amazing looking at his progress now versus the lines it had when he started.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366932&highlight=chopping+47+plymouth

2. highrolla7

highrolla7

I do love that chopped look, wow, that 47 is looking pretty good!

Thanks for the tip on the rear wheels, I'll let him know, oh, and thanks for the list of links as well. Its going to be a long night reading through them... but fun!

Thanks again guys, I'll keep ya posted

3. Watch Monday night's American Pickers to get an inflated idea what one could be worth.

4. iowavr6

iowavr6

Email me those links. It will give me something to research for you tomorrow at work. J.K. I hope you thought about this car a lot cruising around in the field today. Where you a little cramped back there?

5. highrolla7

highrolla7

yeah, today sucked. Just glad it wasnt hot.

6. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Well my opinion, it's a coupe so there's some worth there! I would think 800 to 1000 tops in that condition or if you really want it bad maybe 1250....just my two cents worth ! I know where a 38 chevy coupe sits that can be bought for 1000. Much more desirable than a plymouth in my opinion , so be careful !! Good luck!:D

7. farmer12

farmer12

Just buy it. These are great cars to work on, parts are still available if you want to go stock. Otherwise chop the thing properly and replace the lot. You're choice. Good luck!

8. 1959apache

1959apache

All the videos listed on Youtube that are titled "1940 Plymouth Coupe Part I, II, and III" are all my videos by the way. Watch them, they make me money. lol (totally joking about them being money makers, but really watch them)

9. highrolla7

highrolla7

I will watch those videos for sure!

That chopped rod from the netherlands is so badass, I may use that as my inspiration, wow!

10. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks highrolla7, check out my build thread, maybe this will inspire you even further! :)(41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread)

11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. highrolla7

highrolla7

good catch on the ebay find! I'll have to watch it and see what it goes for.

Farmer, thanks for the build thread you put on here, just love the look of your plymouth. Perfection!

13. RodStRace

RodStRace

Well, did you get it?

14. farmer12

farmer12

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

16. could be a winner,,,,,close

Attached Files:

17. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Well, did you get it?

If you think your going to pass, I wouldn't mind some contact info. Getting one with a title (numbers match, right?) would make my life a bit easier right now. Gene

18. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get it home cheap and flip it. In your opening post you said you wanted an early-mid 30s car, will you be happy with this? Even complete as it is its LOTS of work. For a 1st build maybe a little A RPU?

19. highrolla7

highrolla7

sorry for the delay guys, was away on a small vacation for the past few days. Anyway, update on this is I told the owner that Im going to get it- he will be delivering when he gets time. He is a relative of mine and told me if I dont get it, he doesnt feel he will have the time work on it and will have it scraped, was told he would get around $300 at the yard. I cant see a solid car with a clean title (numbers do match) get scraped out. From my first post, I was interested in a mid 30's, but have been doing a ton of research and now love the idea of a 40's ride, chopped, liked some of you guys have on here. The mid 30's coupes (ie 32 ford coupe) seem to gold mines and finding one, let alone being able to afford one is a complete different story.

hoping to have it delivered here sometime in the fall- I told him Im not in a huge hurry, getting married in the fall and dont see myself doing much with it until after the honeymoon. so, we'll see what happens.

I have been looking for a passenger side rear fender and coming up with nothing- funny story, I was at a car show, ran into somebody that has a 41 plymouth 2 dr sedan- I told him I have to see it. He lives almost 1 mile from my house, BUT, will not deal on it. I was hoping to purhase it for parts or whatever. He is set on restoring it, and says this will be the year. Keep in mind he said he has had it sitting in the same spot along the garage for 20 years now. Oh, well, so close, yet so far away.

20. highrolla7

highrolla7

btw, i will posting some more pics of the plymouth, took some more while looking at it a 2nd time- including the fender etc. I havent given up on finding a fender, but realizing that its not worth what people are looking to get a fender... better chance of getting the entire car!

21. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I don't know, I'd at least get it in my possession soon. He might be inconvenienced by keeping it. It would really be nice to have it media blasted and primed before you even have to touch it. (then see if she still wants to get married);)

22. 6berry

6berry

ive seen some of those done up really nice. looks great with a chop on it and some air bags. all kinds of ways to do one of these up. look up farmer12 on here. hes building on with a hemi in it.

23. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are always better off to find as good and complete an example as you can afford, IMO. Finding parts can be a bear, depending on what they are and what you want. If most all the parts you want are there, $1000 tops.

24. Valtin

Valtin

When I saw the 1941 Plymouth for sale that I bought. I purchased a bus ticket to go ask my dad if I could buy it. The family was in Ocean City MD on vacation while I stayed home to work. Then I walked 101 blocks to the hotel. (Who knew I could take a tram for 1 dollar). My point is I knew I wanted it when I saw it. If your unsure, wait till you find what moves you then pounce.

25. You're about five years late to the prom