Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking at a 1940 Plymouth business coupe, opinions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by highrolla7, May 4, 2010.

1. highrolla7

highrolla7

Hello all,
    new to the forum, but have been lurking for a little while now. Addicted to the old school hot rods and prefer an early to mid 30's ride, but came across a 1940 Plymouth Business coupe. See pics. I was looking for a project and this would definately be that. The entire car is here, including motor etc (all original I was told). I did notice the nose is pushed in also. Has surface rust, been sitting for a very long time. It does have a title as well.

What my question is what is a fair price (I know you guys are buying and selling all the time) and is this something that has potential. I wouldnt bring it back to its glory day, I would just get it running, drop it, primer/flat paint and drive it.

I havent bought it yet, still in the deciding mode. Just getting opinions on price, etc.

Thanks guys, love the boards here!!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      61.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      54.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      51.1 KB
      Views:
  2. highrolla7

highrolla7

any opinions? Im new and just looking for opinions on what you guys would do. I have more pics, the rear fender is off the right side (sitting in trunk) so its a complete car, with title, and he is going to deliver it to me (2 hr drive one way)

3. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

For starters, you will have some fun just perusing the pics already posted, and the conversations, too. Just go to the search button, and enter Plymouth business coupe. I'm sure others will chime in soon.

4. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

There ia a 1940 2 door sedan near my house that is ok but not as n ice as the one you're lookin at. The guy wants a grand and its too much money.
    But the car you pictured here looks pretty damn nice!! I would offer him a thousand and see what he counters with.
    And when you get it home i would go full sixties gasser mode !!! Sky high in the front and any make big or small block motor WITH A HUGE CAM AND FENDER WELL HEADERS AND PLUGS that car would AWESOME good luck Geoff

5. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Wish it was mine! Hey, you were asking for opinions! :D

6. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

If you buy it, you're gonna have to take into consideration rust issues, both on the body and the frame as well as missing trim. Andy Bernbaum (outside of Boston) sells a lot of Mopar parts, but I'm not sure if they'll have everything you need, like the grille. And don't tell them that you aren't restoring it back to stock, they'll consider you the devil and treat you poorly. Trust me, I know.

7. 1959apache

1959apache

I would offer him about 500-800 bucks, definitely under 1000 (maybe 1500 if the motor turns over and fires). I have the same year and mine was in better shape as far as dents and as bad in the rust catagory as that one, if not worse. Your grill is going to be uber hard to find, a decent one anyways. The trim is very very hard to find, thats why I have salvaged 3 cars for theirs. Floor/trunk pans are very expensive unless you make them yourself, all other sheetmetal very very expensive. not to mention if the windshield/rear window are full of rot, which I am going to guess yes because of the dumb radio boot and hole on the top of the roof. Literally all parts for this thing are difficult to find. Keep that in mind if you think this is going to be a budget build... no such thing with a 40 plymouth

Also, 1940-1952 have the same chasis.. 40/41 have the same trim, different grills, fenders, and headlights so some stuff you can find.

8. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

There are two 41 Plymouth coupes for sale in the Twin Cities on Craigslist right now. One is a complete car they are labeling as a 'barn find' that has been sitting for 30 years- I think that one is asking $2500. There is another that appears to be a driver (however with a rod knock) for $3400.
    I like both of 'em.

The $3400 one has definitely been for sale for at least a month and might have started around $4000 if I remember right.

Neither of thos eprices seemed completely out-of-line to me.

Jay

9. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

"American Pickers", Frank's Gamble: next airs Monday, May 10, 9/8c, History Channel.

This episode should answer your question sufficiently.

(I won't give away the ending and spoil it for you.)

10. I'd offer $1500 tops. Most guys will say the old (pre-55) MoPars are simply not desirable. Good for us! While sheet metal will be hard to come by (virtually no aftermarket support) you can still find tons of NOS trim & misc. parts fairly cheap...you just gotta know where to look.

The other upside to having a 'non-desirable' car is that you'll probably be the only one at your local cruise with one...it also makes buying parts cars for those sheet metal pieces that much cheaper.

Good luck, let us know if you bring her home!

11. highrolla7

highrolla7

great info here! I am planning on looking at it this weekend. The owner has told me its a very solid car for the year. I have no idea if the motor turns over. I'll find out soon. I know price wise we are well under a grand, and that will include delivery to my house (2 hour drive 1 way). With a clear Iowa title, Im having a hard time passing it up.

Have been searching pics here and there is so much info- just looking to see what was a fair price.

Here are a couple more pics, fender is in the trunk, that way you can see the amount of rust, etc

Attached Files:

12. rgaller

rgaller

And the downside is trying to sell, if you ever need to.

13. I like how history channel keeps calling it a 39'

14. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

I paid $750 for my 46 biz coupe aboout two months ago. Yours is a little more complete than mine was, but the sheet metal on mine is really nice. I would start at $500 and plan on paying around $800.

15. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

I would also take into acount the delivery. How much is that time and effort worth to you. Took me most of a Friday to get mine home in the rain.

16. Vorhese

Vorhese

40-41 is the one I want too. There was a non-running but nice one for $2200 here, and it lasted a while before someone bought it.

17. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Nice looking Plymouth - I love those years.

18. WHAT A SWEEET HEART OF A CAR!
    I remember a similar Mopar coupe in our small town sometime after I got out of high school (pre muscle car era). Think it was built in Okie City and a local guy brought it to town (Had some connection with Dunn Buick dealership I was told?). Had a big block Buick with two fours. Painted a competition orange. Stock body and the thing was slightly raised in the front as I recall. Really a nice car and a rarity around here! I rode in it a couple times and finally it was sold and taken out of town. Always had a soft spot for those early 40 coupes. Wish I had that car today!

19. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

A '41 coupe was my 1st car - needed alot of work - we found out real quick that that '39, '40, '41 were each all alittle different. '40, '41 will trade doors and deck lid - hoods are different as you, but '41 might still fit if you do alittle convincing, which I would do because I hate working thru a split hood. Business coupe has no back seat - mine was a Special Deluxe and had 2 jump seats in the back, which is a plus, but would be very hrd to find - very rare. I,m sure alot of other stuff can be switched. My car was great and had a blast in it after we got it all fixed up. Good luck!

20. iowavr6

iowavr6

You remember how awesome that chopped 41 plymouth was at vintage torque fest. Just imagine the possibilities. ENDLESS! Stop thinking and just buy it.

21. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Man, if that thing could be delivered to my house for under a grand total it would be sitting in my driveway... :D

22. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

I bought one, rust free though no motor and transmission out of Pennsylvania for $3k or so. Mine's in progress. New rear end, discs on the front. I've also modified the interior, moving the entire sheet metal to beneath the rear window line, though I'm keeping the box door just in a new location. I'm building a wood dash for mine.

I've slowed on this because I really wanted the 440 to go in it, but space limitations and steering box pose a problem for this so I'm deciding now about the steering. Recommendations here are to use rack and pinion. some mods will still have to go to get that motor in. I'd originally planned on a caddy big motor, but I'm going all mopar on it.

Good luck, buy it, drive it, enjoy it.

23. bobjob55

bobjob55

go to www. p15-d24.com it is a dodge - Plymouth site that would have parts--cars that are the same ..

24. 1959apache

1959apache

That major dent around the right rear fender (just forward to it) is going to be your problem child for the main core of the body. That contour isnt easy. I picked up both of my 4 door 40 plymouth parts cars for 200 bucks each because I talked the guy down from 600 each. Just try and locate the majority of parts before buying so you can price it all out before you buy. plymouthdoctor.com is the only place I know of that sells repo sheet metal. interior trim is a beotch to find so keep that in mind if something is missing.

Oh and a postitive note, that model of 40 plymouth is a lot more rare than you would think. The trunk hinges that are on the exterior (the chrome hinges) were only produced I believe for the first several months of production. They then moved to just the normal hinge in the trunk and deleted the chrome hinge option.

If you see RoadKing on the dash then it is even rarer. So techinically this would be definitely a high dollar collectors item if done correctly mainly because these were the first to go to the crusher because they were "undesireable" compared to the 40 fords and chevys of the day. IMHO they arent as ugly in the back end compared to either 40 fords or chevys.

I have the early built 40 plymouth with exterior chrome trunk hinges and it is a Road King. I think you should get it, but dont go over 1500 for sure (under or around 1000 is better)... if he asks for more just give him your number and tell him if he changes his mind to give you a call. Enjoy your new coupe!

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  25. RodStRace

RodStRace

I bought one for 900, another for 1100. That car, to me, is a 6-800 car plus his delivery.
    If he wants more, go over the entire car with photos of stock ones and note every missing part and check for what they cost. Also, soak every running board bolt that go into the rocker real good and tell him the price drops 20 bucks for every one that breaks. 100 less or more if the engine turns over freely, another 200 if it runs without knocks or smoke. The stock brakes will break the bank. The suspension is okay, the drivetrain pretty reliable if in good order, but just as expensive to rebuild as anything.
    There are a lot of threads on 40's Plymouths, do a search.

One last thing: It sounds like this is not your first pick, just what has popped up locally. You must be dedicated to pull something like this off, even with your fairly simple plans. You gotta really like it to keep the motivation going through the tough times. If you want an early 30s car, will this be good enough to keep you going?

26. highrolla7

highrolla7

all very good points. Im still planning on looking at it this weekend and found some great looking 40's plymouths online that look awesome! After I look it over, Im sure I'll make a quick desision. The current owner isnt pushing me by any means, so at least I have time to think it over for now. Just want to get a better idea of the money investment I'll make here. Time isnt really a problem right now, neither is space. Just can't throw $1000's of dollars at it, which is why I would just get it reliable and make it an old school hot rod- (not show quality by any means).

Thanks again guys, this has been a great help.

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Tom Branch over in L.A. has my favorite '40 Plym. It shows up in the background fairly frequently in pictures with his channeled '32 roadster. My '48 Plym has been with me now for twenty years, fifteen of which it has been my daily driver. It wasn't my first choice as a hot rod, but I couldn't imagine life without it now. I have seen every state in the country through it's windshield, (except Alaska and Hawaii) and it is super comfortable for the long haul. Like your plans, mine started out simple, but have morphed into a pretty major deal as my skills have allowed. For 500.00, that would be in my garage tonight - no thought necessary!

28. Ralph

Ralph

For that price, i'd grab it. I'm biased, though (see my avatar?) You can save lots of cash by learning to fix your own stainless. OK, I didn't, but YOU could! Nice looking cars with the forward - slanted B pillar. Good Luck!
    Ralph

29. RodStRace

RodStRace

30. RodStRace

RodStRace

Oh, and I notice no rear wheels. Since this always gets asked, they are the common 5 on 4.5 inch pattern, but some Ford center holes are smaller. The lug bolts (not nuts) are left hand thread on the left side of the car. Might be a good idea to share that with the seller (if they don't already know) so there is no additional damage and cussing trying to get it rolling for delivery.