Register now to get rid of these ads!

Build temp paint booth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sixdogs, Feb 5, 2010.

1. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

I want to build a temp paint booth this summer for a couple projects. I understand the concept of building a plastic covered booth but I don't uderstand what or how you build the framework that gets covered with plastic. I'm sure this is alreadly an OT but it is difficult to search.
    Is the framework just 2 x 4's or something like that? Maybe hang some clothes line in both directions and tape the seams? This is new to me and I don't want to do anything really stupid. What works? How big should it be? Thanks in advance.

2. CreepyCreeperson

CreepyCreeperson
    from stockton

What if you just got one of those sunshade/pop tents and made the sides go all the way to the ground with some plastic sheeting or visquen(?). That way you wouldnt be trying to build some contraption and risk eating shit on the ground while working on the roof.

3. greasemonkey060

greasemonkey060

You mean like tarps and filtered box fans...?

4. I built one once out of 2x4's, poly, 2 filtered fans, and a wet concrete garage floor. We built the framing, covered in it clean poly, sealed around a couple fans so there was flow, and kept the floor wet to catch any particles or dust.

The paint wasn't show-winning quality but plenty fine for a driver/weekend cruiser.

5. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Google homemade paint booth. You'll find a number of them. Frame is either wood or pvc.

[​IMG]

Mike

6. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

Wow, lots on Google. What about the use of a fan with electric motor and using flammable solvents? OK or accident waitng to happen?

7. Jims35

Jims35

Be carefull with the fans. don't pull air out or a spark arc inside the motor might make a bad day . I covered my walls and work benches tools ect. with plastic poly hung from the ceiling on 2x2 strips i screwed to the ceiling.On one side of shop i placed a fan in the window , on the opposite side I raised the garage door about two feet and pushed air out the door .To much air may give you problems getting the paint on . I kept the floor wet . That won't get you a show room job , but okay for my beater car , the 35 chevy . I did mine in the summer time of the morning before the bugs started flying . So that may not work for everybody . I know there are better ways and I believe you will get that information from the H.A.M.B. .

8. Chief_Wannabe

Chief_Wannabe
    from Ozark, MO

I'm looking at doing this too as I no longer have a shop with a spray booth. I was thinking about using one of those aluminum carports that you see for sale all over the place around here for around $5-600. Reasonably sturdy frame that can easily taken down and stored or sold after you're done. Wrap the sides in about 4 mil clear plastic. Build a simple frame on each end for filters. You can use either window fans or bigger shop fans if you have them, push air through one end and pull it out the other. Keep the fans out of the "booth". Such a structure won't probably pressurize like a normal booth will, but I think you can obtain enough airflow to do a good job. A couple of fluorescent light boxes or halogen work lights on stands should be plenty.

Most pro shops would have a separate paint room for storage and mixing. You should do the same for several reasons.

9. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Last one I used was put together for painting big rigs occaisionally. We shut down our regular booth to move it across town and used the tent booth for a week or so.

It was constructed using 2x4 lumber for a frame suspended in the rafters and as the spindle to roll up heavy mill plastic. The plastic was wrapped around the top board a couple of times, then sandwiched with another board screwed to it. The rectangle shaped frame was lifted and hung with the 4 curtains hanging down to the floor. The top was covered by plastic. At the bottom of the walls, the plastic was rolled up on the 2x4 spindles. This gave them weight to stay put. Each spindle had a rope to the upper frame going over a pulley and then back down where you could pull on it to roll up each side. The sides intersected each other by about two feet at each corner so that you could get a seal in each corner by wetting the plastic. We used a couple of box fans to push air in one end and A/C filters to let it out at the other. The whole contraption was pretty heavy, but rolled up out of the way and you had no idea it was overhead. I guess it was about 20x20x40.

10. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I built a I can put up and take down in a about 30 minutes using 1 1/4" PVC pipe. It's a 10' X 10' X 10' cube.

The first time I assembled it I used light weight plastic drop cloth taped to the pipes. After I used it and knew it would work the next time I set it up I bought two heavier sheets of plastic and added snaps so I could snap it on and off. I also glued the elbows to the end pieces. I left all of the uncut 10 foot pieces loose so I don't have to figure how all of the pieces go together. I can break it down enough to store it on top of a shelving unit.

I install a box fan in the small square you can see on the right side of the image below. The box fan isn't the best idea, I'm trying to find a better alternative.

I'm planning to use this booth for a temporary sandblasting booth when I blast my Buick in the next week or so.

Attached Files:

11. Jims35

Jims35

An old used swamp cooler built to go in moble home roof or window works good . You can put better filters in place of what they came with. Some are two speed or varible speed motors . Build baffles to direct the air the way you want it to go. I have one in my shop built in the wall just to move the air around , about a $30.00 invesment.

12. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

go to costco and buy 10x20 car storage tent $200 bucks has 2 windows and both ends open put it up in 2 hours

13. duste01

duste01

I use the plastic drop cloth on 1x1 real cheap

14. Yep.that's what i did..
    worked for me..

Rick
    ========================

15. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

sixdogs;
    I have done the temporary thing in the garage a couple of times and have decided it's easier for me to deal with the scheduling, logistics, etc and do the paint in a nice booth where I don't have to eat all that overspray~!

In my neck of the woods I can rent a booth for $75 a day. I know of three that welcome do-it-yourself. The booth I currently use is in the back of an upholstery shop, his primary business. I need to give him a weeks notice if it's in spring/early summer. After that, Aug through fall his schedule is more open.

I have two projects I plan to do this spring/summer. Model A Chassis and refresh on my 29 chivvy pickup.
    With careful planning/prep I can do the initial sanding and primer under a shade tree, clean off the turds, and have it ready for final, prime, sand, and wipe before driving through car wash. On a good warm day, after blow dry and five mile drive to the booth I only need to do minimal wipe down with lacquer thinner and then tack-rag.

With the help of my grandson we can shoot the A-chassis in a couple of hours, do final wipe down mask, tape, last coat of primer on the pickup, do lunch, and be admiring the color before closing time.

16. Rande

Rande

Find a local heating and A/C shop and get a used blower from a removed furnace. Motor is outside of and sealed from, the blower section. Seems to me sucking the air out would cause less turbulance inside the booth. You'd just need to filter the incoming air.

Those blowers throw a heck of a lot more air than a box fan and they usually have two speeds you can choose from. They could also easily fabricate a box to hold the filters and fit right to the blower.