Register now to get rid of these ads!

plymouth 259 pistons in a 241 Dodge hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vetteson, Aug 28, 2013.

1. vetteson

vetteson

Will 259 Plymouth pistons clear the valves in an over-bored 241 Dodge hemi (using stock cam)? I see that the pistons in the 241 are notched.

2. snaptwo

snaptwo

I would think that the Mopower engineers put those eyebrows in for a reason don'cha think.

3. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The notches in a hemi piston are directly across from one another. The notches on a poly piston are offset from one another. With a bone stock cam, you should be able to get away with it. Other than that, I would consider massaging the notches to replicate the hemi piston. Keep in mind that in stock form, these are very low compression engines.

4. Pistons MUST match bore and stroke ..IF those are the same then the pistons will work..albiet the tops will look different..

5. 73RR

73RR

That is a pretty big cut...suggest that you sonic check the cyl walls as a first step.
    As Tom suggests, if you use them, lengthen the eyebrow a bit. It sounds like a stock-sorta rebuild so balance should not be an issue.

In the FWIW department, for a couple hundred more dollars you could have some decent compression...;)