Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Road To The GNRS 2014

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SCOTT GILLEN, Jan 30, 2013.

1. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Scott,
    We've won BOS at Pebble Beach 3 times, and would be very hard pressed to do it in under a year, which is what you have now. Granted, a Rod maybe be somewhat easier, and it looks like you have a mostly complete car, but it doesn't look like you started out with the AMBR in mind. I'm very happy with the way the pendulum is swinging in terms of traditional rods, because the past couple of years have had no interest to me.

Having said that, the detail, fit, and finish on the contenders rivals any PB entrants, and you may be better of to start fresh with that goal in mind. I'm not sure how AMBR works, but like PB, going there for the first time with a builder who's been there before has to be a distinct advantage. As one entrant showed this past weekend, just throwing heaps of money at it, with no vision, guarantees failure.
    My $.02.
    Good Luck, you certainly have the eye.

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think you are starting with the wrong platform. No way I can see a 33 or 34 truck without a top making it anywhere near the top 5 much less winning.

3. I would rather take the money and that roadster pickup and spend 5 years driving all over this great country exploring every nook and cranny. Sounds like a better life experience than spending it on a show car. Just thinking out loud here. Different strokes.... Good luck with it!

4. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Bigger question... What is the wining combination... If you changed motors in the Woodward roadster to the rarer Aurdun and Kinmonts would it have won? I think rare part add the mix but I think this years winner didn't need those parts to win... Full size Ardun and flowing hood lines are tough... Ermie's 32 pulled it off... But would that same car have won in competition this year? Design, functional flow, fit and finish are key but visual effect define beauty (in the eyes of the beholder)... If the color of the winner and the Woodward roadster were exchanged would the selection been the same? Maybe you start another thread to get opinions on everyone's "most beautiful roadster" or have a design contest with top three awards winning enough to make it worth thier time... Work with Ryan to make official - like the Tech contests... Anyways, my opinion - look at the last two winners an the first for inspiration and keep body size proportionate to the motor selection...

5. glassguyOC

glassguyOC
    from O.C.

The only reason Rudy hasn't won the AMBR, is because he hasn't entered. Going with another builder would be a big mistake.

6. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

I couldn't agree more !

7. the biggest problem i can see is the time frame. i would definitely getting rudy to do the build. are you stuck on starting with that '33 pickup.
    Al.

8. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

I'd put the 3w on hold and have Rudy jump on the roadster full steam.

9. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

The America Most Beautiful Roadster means Roadster, if I am incorrect tell the deal. I have been told it needs to be a Roadster to be in the show. I am not just building to try and get in, I am building to win or at least thats what I tell myself. There is not reason to start if you don't intend to go all the way. It's a huge investment in time and money to do it in the first place. If you don't put your all into it, you have no shot at all of even getting close. I will build the truck in time and the reason to use the truck, is because I own it already.

Alex has said that when the truck was build (10) years ago, I did not build it with the intention of AMBER and thats correct. The Truck is all steel and hand build completely. I spent good money on the Body and good money on the chassis. I will dump the chassis and build a new one to put the Truck on....And go from there...

The point of the thread, if it makes any sense at all....Was for all of use to watch and add our thoughts on the build. I have been very lucky in life and I will get this done. I would like to hear thoughts from all of you on what you would do, about how and what it should be....At the end of the day I might use those thoughts or I might not.....,but its good clean fun and we all feel like we are part of the process......In or out lets have some fun....the issue's in the world today are so crazy, I just want to enjoy some good building times......Jump in if you want, I would love to hear all the thinking.....I will be at the show in 2014 thats a guarantee.

Scott Gillen

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  10. mr.32

mr.32

Go for it! Gnrs takes applications with car photo and display photos, then picks they're 10 picks. These 10 picks are invited to come. So, being invited is a great honor.

11. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

I thought he Woodward Roadster was great, I just think it needed a bit more depth and detail in it for the things that were cool to stand out.....I thought the all black black was very nice great paint and all the rest, but I wanted some things to stand a bit......for the forum they were going for, they needed a bit more in my mind....But very nice car.

The Winner Roy's build.... Roadster was very nice and I keep looking at it and saw that the car flowed very well......

Scott Gillen

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  12. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I would go with Hots and Hobbies in Signal Hill. Run your concepts by Scott at Hot Rods and Hobbies and Steve Sanford can render it. He ain't cheap but he does fantastic work.
    http://www.hotrodsandhobbies.net/

13. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Game on, let's go!
    What's Rudy's take on the time frame?

14. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

Scott did some work on my 1950 ford coupe......

Scott Gillen

15. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

You don't need an ARDUN and a Halibrand QC to be in the top 5...start thinking outside the box

The Woodward roadster was a fine example of a great art director with a limited budget.

16. ruralrod

ruralrod

exactly why i'm turned off by the HAMB these days. i cant believe this thread exists. gay

17. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

an oFFy could be different way to go,modified roadster. let the imagination go wild.just my $.02

18. Nice idea, but an Ardun in that truck won't win the AMBR, IMO. It'd have to be a more modern build to win with one of those Steve's '33/34 RPUs. Something more along the lines of the 2011 winner.

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Why don't you just build my phaeton and then give it back after you win?

20. I would give Jimmy over at Circle City Hotrods a shot if I was doing something like this. I bet he could conjur up a winner. I like the 34 rpu concept. It could win if done right.

21. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

Not too turn the thread into shit...but the Steve's body came from me not from steve. I commissioned them 8 years ago to build me the one off truck car cab truck combo.

Scott Gillen

Hey Steve.

22. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

That is a fantastic goal, and I will love to follow along. For all of us that will never have the opportunity to do this for ourself, just being given the opportunity to give some input as the planning and building happen is very cool. The possibility of seeing an ambr winner that you can look at some feature and say "I suggested that" is amazing. Hopefully taking the effort to post here will be positive to the build. My biggest worry with "designing by committee " is a result like GM's Aztec from a few years ago. Good luck

23. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I've been involved in three AMBR projects , and none of those were accomplished in one year . That type of quality of craftsmanship takes time . Good luck.

24. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

If your going to follow thru with the pick-up... I'd do a 33 hood and grill with skirt less fenders for a prototype look and by having no skirts you showcase the suspension... Kinda late 32 early 33 look

25. jadeidol

jadeidol
    from spokane

ImageUploadedByTJJ1359664924.325657.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1359664955.920121.jpg
    Here is some pictures of the Woodward with a Ardun in it. I felt that the lines of the hood were more important then the speed equipment. There are only 3 hotrod parts so it didn't make sense to have any hood bulges. My car is a tribute to ford design and especially Edsel Fords ideas. He was a man who wore gray suits and even had the color on continental #1 changed from Yellow to gray. It is easy to put flash on a car but hard to make someone stop and look at the real details. Rare hot rod parts are just that but hand built parts show the true passion of the builder. "Less is more" mies van der rohe

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

26. Silly question, but why rush something that needs to be as perfect as possible? When things get rushed, $#!+ happens. I assume it is the same no mater what shop is chosen. Why not finish the whizbang 33 coupe and take home a competition coupe or coupe trophy? If you have that much of a desire to compete for the AMBR Trophy, why not take a year and a half? Your, and your builder's blood pressure would be better off. It would give you time to create a vision, even if it isn't 33/34 roadster pickup. Just a thought...

27. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly why I love the HAMB. I can't believe you exist. Straight.

28. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Improve your chances by 1000% - use a builder that has been invited several times and who won the AMBR before. If it isn't a private club, it's damn close. Just sayin'.

29. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I couldn't agree more... It's great to have rare parts that blend with the flow and have a function but without purpose - what the point

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well Scott, while many of us sit in front of the screen and pipe dream about building a car that could compete and win you are up to actually doing it and I think you actually have a good grasp on how to get it done. I'm with the others though in that a year is a short period of time for even the best crews to put together a winning car from scratch meaning the design scratched out on paper and going from there.

The ultra rare parts thing is nice but I'd have to think that highly attractive parts that can be detailed beyond the max might be better.

Color choice does have a hell of a lot to do with it. The details can't get lost in the color but on the other hand the color or paint it's self can't overpower the rest of the car.

Personally I like the idea of doing the roadster pickup. It's a special body in it's self and won't get lost in the middle of a group of sometimes look alike highboy roadsters. It may take a bigger effort to pull a win but from what I see That little truck is up to the challenge.