Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrome shops in So. Cal.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodrhp, Sep 21, 2012.

1. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Any one have a line on a good chrome shop they could recomend in the Ventura ,Ca. area ? My son is relatively new to Ca. and I live in the midwest. I am trying to get pricing on a 34 grille shell plated in Ca. Thanks

2. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

Try Astro Plating in North Hollywood. I'd give them a "B".

3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I know a place but it's in Pomona.

4. Vern's in Gardena is one of the best in the business. Might be a bit of a drive from Ventura, and definitely on the expensive side, but worth it if your son's going for perfection.

5. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

"Vern's Chrome Plating" (310)892-0569
    1559 El Segundo Blvd.
    Gardena, Ca

The best plater in the area.

6. hotrodbrad

hotrodbrad

So. Cal? Send it down to Mexico and get the real shit!

7. Killer32

Killer32
    from California

I've tried them and they are good!!

8. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

They absolutley ruined my Duval windshield that I had about 100 hours in fitting ,filing,and sanding to 1500. They said that they were'nt going to charge me . After I told them to strip it and give it back , it only took another 40 hours to repair their damage . I'd rattle can something flatblack before I'd ever go there .

9. ... so you got a line on a good shop?

10. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

I take mine to Escondido plating here in San Diego. They do great work and I should know I am one motherfucking perfectionist. They don't send there chrome to Tijuana it's all done on the premises. Check out there website

11. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Escondido plating does great work, but that's if you can get him to do it! He's a nice guy, but he damn near talks you out of having your stuff chromed and he's expensive. I recommend Buena park chrome...quick and reliable, but not cheap either. I'm trying out Pacific plating in San Diego right now...I'll report back. I've heard good things. Whatever you do stay away from decorative metal finishing in Escondido...

12. Vernes has done all of my stuff and its absolutely stunning.Triple plated on site,not to many places have that anymore.

13. TV

TV

I use Custom Chrome in north Long Beach. They do all the polishing on site, then send it to their brothers shop in Arizona for Chroming. Turn around takes about two weeks. They take pictures of your stuff and take care of it also,

14. I must admit I don't understand your post. Without hearing what you are saying and picking up the inflection in your voice I can't tell if you mean the work from Mexico is very good or very bad. Without the environmental laws they should be able to do good work in Mexico. Labor is cheap. If the work is good do you have any contacts?

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  15. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

After trying to repair the damage , My friend who works for a company that does fabricating and chroming for HD , walked it thru his chrome dept . as a special project . It turned out pretty good . The biggest problem was that Vernes took all of the blocking that I;d done to get it nice and flat , and warped the shit out of it with their buffers . they removed material that could'nt be replaced . The sad part is it was perfect before they manhandled it. I'm seriously considering buying another winshield , but the one I have was one of the good ones from Cam Grant .

16. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Not very close to Ventura but give Billy Felts a call at 909-875-1910. M.J.B. Plating and Polishing, 236 S. Riverside Ave. Rialto CA. Tell him what you want, it won't be cheap.

17. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

Yea he told me to buy a repop steering ring I told him I wouldn't be in his shop if I could buy a repop and then he just walked way from the counter!!!
    :mad:

18. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

This is crap what person owns a chrome shop and tries to talk you out of his own bussiness??? Don does a great job and he is an expert in what he does,go look at my chrome,not once was i talked out of having it done.It was done right,you pay more because its quality not junk.And as far as getting him to do it..dude i dont know where you went but he has ALWAYS got the chrome to me within a week,ALWAYS.Hey good luck with pacific plating,they send it to mexico,hope it all comes back,yet again i know that they have lost alot of chrome,i will give it to don at least i know its done on the premises and i have watched the process.

19. 53chevy

53chevy

I've been using Sihilling Metal Polishing in Santa Ana, Ca. Back when I did a complete rebuild of my truck, I took all parts except bumpers to Vern's, not worth the price or the quality, very poor for the $$$ I spent. Sihilling did some grille parts and door strikers and was very happy and it's been 3 years going. I just think there are better shops than Vern's, its more hype if anything. It's like that Public Enemy song: "Don't believe the hype!" Hahahaha.

Ken

20. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

UPDATE: Do NOT use Pacific Plating in San Diego! Steve will promise you your work will be done as quickly as possible, but he plays the nice guy for a very long time when you call and wonder why it has been six months. I dropped a pair of front inside windshield moldings off and a radiator wind baffle on August 7th and he told me it might be about six weeks. I also asked if it would be going over the border and he promised it wouldn't...well, I finally got my stuff back this past February and everything was wrapped in Tijuana newspaper and it's not very good quality. My brother dropped off some parts for a '66 Mustang convertible and he ruined the center console pot metal insert and a pair of convertible top latches that go on the windshield. I thought I would try him out and I did...and I won't go back. I will continue to use Buena Park Chrome because their prices are more than fair after trying another shop.

21. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

It's not crap...you can ask my brother. We both stood there in his office while he complains for twenty minutes about the EPA and how his tanks are on GPS satellites. We simply wanted some Mustang convertible parts rechromed and he had no interest in doing them. His prices are insane and he told my brother to just buy all new reproduction parts instead of rechroming the original mustang parts...he ignored my brother when he told him that some of the things he wanted rechromed were not reproduced. It just seemed like Don never had any ambition to do chrome every time I went in there and I have heard the same thing from a number of people. Maybe it's because he has clients like Hot Rods and Custom Stuff...who knows. You were right about Pacific Plating...luckily I got everything back, but the work is crap and Steve has a line of BS ten miles long. What did you have rechromed at Escondido Plating? Was it just a stock shoebox bumper? I heard he is going out of business soon anyway...that's too bad.

22. 226 flattie

226 flattie
    from orange,ca

I also use shilling in Santa Ana. I have had very good luck with them. they have been in same location for over 50 years and there quality is outstanding . It true you get what you pay for , they are not cheap but you get excellent chroming.

23. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

i dont know any shops worth talking about but i did use orange plating and they did great work. last time i went there they said no auto chroming anymore. i can tell you stay away from riverside plating and brothers polishing and plating in riverside. riverside plating does in house and there work looks like TJ work.

24. 2935ford

2935ford

Back in the 70's when I lived in Torrance.....I used Vern's Chrome City for all my '57 Nomad parts. I don't know abou now but back then.....WOW! They did great work.:)

Attached Files: