Register now to get rid of these ads!

History ==Vintage Cal-Neva Dry Lake & Drag Pics (early 50s)==

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Thanks for sharing these beauties with us all!

Stogy likes this.
  2. 26 roadster

26 roadster

god the dust,, when I sold my roadster years after el mirage it still had california dirt in the carpet. great pics my boys were 8 and 10 and drove the roadster there.

Stogy and stillrunners like this.
  3. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Great stuff again Jimmy , thanks for posting

Stogy likes this.
  4. Hot damn those early fifties street duece highboy coupes are nuts. So' the '49/50 shot. Hot. Subscribed, Thanks..

Stogy likes this.
  5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I can't help but think how lucky we are that somebody cared enough to take the pictures and that they have lasted all these years. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Stogy likes this.
  6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Sure looks to be, check out the "ram-air" induction!:D this car is way cool.

Stogy likes this.
  7. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Outstanding pictures Jimmy. Thank you so much for sharing them. I wonder who the photographer was. He certainly had a good camera and knew how to use it. I can almost imagine myself being there taking those pictures. I would certainly be interested in buying some prints.

Stogy likes this.
  8. dechrome

dechrome

Pictures of the Fred Zaft coupe bring back memories of its early feature in Hot Rod mag. I thought that was the neatest of cars and built a balsa model of it at age 12. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

deChrome

Stogy likes this.
  9. LabRat

LabRat

Thanks for sharing your passion for these style of rods Jimmy ..

Stogy likes this.
  10. patina steve

patina steve

Great pictures............Thanks............I think these could be put together in a Don Montgomery type book and published. Probably not a money maker but many HAMB guys would sure like a copy, maybe a limited print version...........Who knows it might be a hot as the HAMB calander.

Stogy likes this.
  11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

<TABLE class=tborder id=post6133196 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid" width=175>

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_6133196 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid"><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Re: ==Vintage Cal-Neva Dry Lake & Drag Pics (early 50s)==
    <HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by RichFox [​IMG]
    Small roadster to the left was also a San Francisco Ramblers car. Rudy Mortonsen was the first owner that I know of. Set Bonneville BF/R in '58. Running as Vally Auto Parts Special
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Is this the same car....appears to be...Ramblers plaque

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Could be. But it looks a lot nicer than what I bought. I bought mine in '65 as an old race car with mounts for a Y block

12. skywolf

skywolf

Thanks Jimmy. Outstanding !

Stogy likes this.
  13. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Here is a CNTA plaque .....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  14. blackout

blackout

Thanks for sharing, Jimmy B

Stogy likes this.
  15. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

This one? .....

[​IMG]

16. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Looks like this club from Concord was also part of the CNTA .....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  17. Thanks for posting those Bullet Nose.

18. 40Chevy

40Chevy
    from california

It's threads like these that make us love the HAMB so much. Thanks Jimmy B and others. Pictorial history of where we were and where we're going.

Stogy likes this.
  19. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

Very cool pictures. Love the Google Earth comparison showing that "A" window in the real estate office.

That dry lake is alongside the road as you drive to Reno from Susanville CA. I've also flown over many times enroute to Reno from the northwest.

Wonder if that hot rodder... or would that be a "shot rodder"? Was killed in a wreck when the steering box broke off? Apologies in advance if it's one of you here!

Stogy likes this.
  20. 296ardun

296ardun

Sadly I think that Harold Cassaurang was killed drag racing this coupe, maybe at Vacaville or Lodi...there is a picture of it on Mart's Hot Rod site

Thanks very much for taking the time to post these pictures, never seen any of them before --- you are really the master of presenting and preserving this early history!

Stogy likes this.
  21. Jimmy B - Wow!, How'd I miss this thread? ... Very cool stuff! ... Thanks so much for sharing!

Stogy likes this.
  22. Don't know how i missed this one - thanks Jimmy

btw - you're definately born in the wrong era

cheers

Bob

Stogy likes this.
  23. Glad ya like them Todd.

Hey Bob, I was definitely born in the wrong era but at least I can try to preserve the history for the future.

Stogy likes this.
  24. primed34

primed34

Very cool pics. Thanks for sharing.

Stogy likes this.
  25. I'll give this a bump for those interested in vintage dry lake racing.

Stogy likes this.
  26. Yes, that is the same car, Fred Zaft was the owner.

I just noticed this roadster appears to have Kinmont Brakes
    [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  27. Thank You Jimmy, I've not had much time to be on the HAMB lately, but I've learned to check your profile, to see what you've posted, that way I don't miss out on the finest quality threads. :D You certainly have the most on topic, historically significant posts of the HAMB. Funny I've asked the question before about having a "History Archive" alongside the "Tech" and "Artshow" archives, but I think it would mostly become the "Jimmy B Archive", which would be a "good thing"!

Stogy likes this.
  28. aojo

aojo

I love these old photos. especially of the lakes/salt cars.. great find.

Stogy likes this.
  29. -Brent-

-Brent-

Wow, Jimmy, what a score. I don't know how I missed this thread. I'm glad to have found it.

Stogy likes this.
  30. These pictures are great,thanks for sharing.

Stogy likes this.