Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hi,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAD ROD, Dec 29, 2004.

1. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

My name is Mike. I am from Antelope California (near Sacramento). There is a lot of talent here. Nice website.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

Wow, talk about informative.

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Hmmmm... Lets have a look see in his profile..

"I like old Fords, bikes and racing. Would like to build a Model A hot rod."

Well then.. How about that?
    and...

" Region of Doom"

Sounds scary...

Other than that not much.. He's an Engineer of some kind...

Maybe a little more info and some pics...
    [​IMG]

4. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

Hiya Mike. I lived in Sac for 10 years. What car do you have? What ya working on?

5. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Hi zman and speedaddict, I am a professional Civil Engineer. Region of Doom is a scary name be we are made of all walks of life from 18 years old single guys to married with children types like me. It is a club for the Tri 9 Impala SS's.

Do you guys/gals really like the long intros? I thought they were kind of like those letter you get around the holidays that nobody reads. [​IMG] OK, let me try it this way....

I have always been a car guy. I’m sure it started watching my dad work in the garage and seeing how happy he gets when he finds a good deal on an old Ford. He is a diehard old Ford guy. If it says anything other than Ford, it ain’t worth...you know what!

I am reminded on a time about 7-8 years ago. I was at a car show checking out the rods. I was standing at the front of a T-bucket looking it over. A very thin, hunched over, frail looking man walked up and stood next to me. He says...“nice car huh”....I said, yes, it is very nice…..he says.... “I have always wanted to build one of these......but, I always put it off...now I am too old”....he then started to cry. It really touched me and I will never forget it. You could substitute this car for any other dream you have in life. If it is important don’t put it off! OK, back on track....

My dad has had a variety of old Fords over the years. He currently has the following.

1) 1956 Ford F100
    2) 1957 Thunderbird (E code, 3 speed-overdrive)
    3) 1959 Ranchero
    4) 1960 Starliner (high performance 352, 3 speed-overdrive)
    5) 1965 Mustang Fastback

The cars are in varying condition from not running, with black berry bushes growing through it (Ranchero) to fully restored (Mustang). He bought the Starliner new in 1960 and it was his daily driver until the 1980’s. It has been restored except for original paint. I remember being embarrassed to be seen getting dropped off in high school in this car (early 1980’s), but now it is cool car!

I have bounced around the car world. I have built two jeeps, one a 1969 CJ5 and the other a 1942 Ford. I then built (well, mostly built) a kit car Ford GT40. I now drive a 1994 Impala SS that I modified. When I am not road racing it, it is my daily driver. I am currently building a 1969 Honda Chopper. This is my first bike and I am using it to fulfill my grinding, drilling, cutting, welding, garage time needs. I would like to build an old Ford hot rod next.

So, that is what brought me here, a life time of being around, thinking about, and working on cars. I am leaning towards building a Model A coupe or sedan. I like the coupe, but the sedan would be nice with the kids. I wouldn’t rule out a 1950’s shoebox Ford either. The next step is to convince my wife that we need just one more car.

Mike

Here are a few shots of my bike.
    Pic 1
    Pic 2

CherryBlossom, will that fend off the sarcasm. [​IMG]

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Now that's what I'm talking about... Very nice intro there...
    and it wasn't to painful..

7. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Nope, not painful. Thanks zman. [​IMG]

Mike

8. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

you should swipe that ranchero from your dad,before it gets any worse-george

9. BUILD THE STARLINER INTO A KILL KUSTOM

Sorry, sorry. Love of Starliners poking through there.

Welcome aboard. Plunger cycle frames are weird...and cool. Nice to see someone taking a jap. chop seriously.

10. JamesG

JamesG

[ QUOTE ]
    CherryBlossom, will that fend off the sarcasm.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL [​IMG]

11. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

George, I have thought about saving the 1959 Ranchero. It is complete but been sitting lots of years. I helped my dad fire it up not long after he aquired it, about 15 years ago. It actually ran (like crap) but it ran. It’s got a 390 in it. The auto was toast. Problem is, I am not a fan of 59 Rancheros. Much prefer the 57’s or 58’s. But, it could be a neat low budget project. I thought about taking a week off from work and turning this original junky Ranchero into a driver old school rod. It would be fun and rewarding to do it all in a single week.

Tony, the Starliner is my dads baby. No body is touching that thing! It is the first and only car my dad bought brand new. It is bone stock except for the Hurst shifter on the floor (changed from the column in 1960) and 3 deuces.

Yeah, plunger bike frames are a bit weird. I find that people either really hate them or love them. No in between. I like them because they are fairly unusual and make people go...hmmmmmm.

Mike

12. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

one more thing. .....my dad drag raced in the early 1960's with his Starliner at the Fremont Drags here in California. He was also in the Fremont Pharos car club. He still has the club cast plaque and jacket. Anybody from that area/time that remember this club?

Mike

13. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

i dunno,i think it would grow on you...

14. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

George,

Yeah, your right, they do grow on you. Lowered like the one you posted does make it better, even presentable! Of course it is mainly the bed and rear end of the body that annoys me. [​IMG] You know, the other thing I have noticed about cars is, it is the process and work that goes into them that I like. Once I finish a car, I tend to get bored with it and move on to something else that needs work. So, you might be on to something about saving the Ranchero. It would make a good builder to hone my skills. Ah shit, now you have me getting that “feeling” about the Ranchero! [​IMG]

Mike

15. CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

[ QUOTE ]

CherryBlossom, will that fend off the sarcasm. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gracias.

For the record, I read those letters I get at the holidays. I figure if people want me to know what they're up to, I can at least pretend to care.

16. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

17. hatch

hatch
    from house

Nice job on the Honda...welcome.

18. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

CherryBlossom, the truth should be known, I like reading those holiday letters too. [​IMG] In fact I usually send them, but this year I didn’t. I actually had someone want to know why I didn’t send a letter out this year!

Thanks Chandler!

Thanks hatch, my Honda is getting close to being on the road. I ordered up the final pieces today to make it road worthy. Won’t be long now.

Mike

19. CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

[ QUOTE ]
    CherryBlossom, the truth should be known, I like reading those holiday letters too. [​IMG] In fact I usually send them, but this year I didn’t. I actually had someone want to know why I didn’t send a letter out this year!

[/ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Are you the kind that lies to make friends? [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Dirty2

Dirty2

Welcome from Texas !!!!

21. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

CherryBlossom, um...nope. Including you, I only have one friend. [​IMG]

Thanks Dirty2!

Mike

22. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

George,

Well, I am holding you partially responsible for that fact that I will be building the 1959 Ranchero. It needs a lot of TLC. My goal is to drive it to Hot August Nights 2005.

Thanks!

Mike

23. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

Welcome to the HAMB. I think that old car club stuff of your dads is amazing. I hope someone remembers them, but even if they dont, what a great piece of car club history. I would love to see some pics of that stuff if ya can.
    Again...welcome.

Joe

24. skipstitch

skipstitch

I kinda dig your bike....welcome....Stitch

Attached Files:

25. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Thanks Stitch!

Joe, here is a scan of one of my dads old car club plaques. Complete with the Glass Slipper drag car! He was the guy in the club that had the plaques made up. He still has about a dozen or more still in the orignal wrappers.

Mike
    [​IMG]

26. CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

[ QUOTE ]
    CherryBlossom, um...nope. Including you, I only have one friend. [​IMG]

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
    [​IMG]

27. Aushotrods

Aushotrods

Welcome from Australia! Ever since watching AG, I always wanted to be a pharoah [​IMG]

28. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I snapped a few pictures of my dads rides. I aquired the 1959 Ranchero and the planning has started on how to bring it back to life. More on that later....

Mike

29. BillyB

BillyB

Hey Mike - Welcome from another newbie. These guys/gals are great and tremedous amount of knowledge here. Bill

30. Zodoff

Zodoff

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

Sweet cherryblossom,are you not feeling well?
    Im worried about you... :D
    Just teasing. :)

Welcome BADROD!