Register now to get rid of these ads!

ID Chevy distributor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GuyW, Apr 4, 2009.

1. GuyW

GuyW

I have a Chevy SBC Delco Remy tach drive distributor that I want to identify. It is a cast iron body, and non-vacumn advance...

Metal band says: “1111134 DELCO REMY 5 J 7”

Anybody have a link for me?

Thanx

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  2. is that an actual tag that is riveted to the housing , or a metal band that is wrapped around it?

3. GuyW

GuyW

metal band that is wrapped around it

4. for some reason i can not find that number on anything i have , maybe by bringing this back up someone else can.

delco remy used a date code that started with the last digit of the year first , then a letter month code ...by that 5 J 7 would mean October 1965 i believe.

5. dbradley

dbradley

How 'bout Sept 7th, 1965 (They don't use the "I" in the date code) That would be the assembly date for the distributor. The 'tag' p/n could be a service replacement number. The one you listed doesn't show up in any Corvette docs I have (and they do show '65 - '66 production)

6. Those numbers would fit right in with a part for the '66 model year.

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

While I have seen several sources claim that "I" was not used in date codes, I've also seen both intake manifolds and cylinder heads that had codes starting with "I".

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

This is just a guess but with no vacuum advance, could it be a marine distributor?

9. That is a 1966 Vette 327, 300 Horse according to my Delco book (built sept 7, 1965)

10. Those tach drive distributors are pretty rare, so it's worth a lot to the right people. That seems weird that it's a non vacuum advance one though.

11. GuyW

GuyW

Thank you all. This is about what I thought it might be.

As to the no vacumn advance, it was probably removed as a modification.

The distributor came (running) in my 1936 Chevy PU with 327, 2 WCFB carbs, 30-30 cam, Muncie 4-spd, '57 Pontiac rear end, that I bought in 1969. I did have some info that the distributor had been recurved in a machine.

I am thinking about moving the distributor.....

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009