Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Jim Pizzi

Jim Pizzi

One night after working for about 20 hours stright Tonys coffee got cold. He turned on his welder and touched the rod to his metal table till it was cherry red, the broke it away from the table and stuck it in his coffee to heat it up!!!!
    Thats HARD CORE!!!!!!!

Spoggie likes this.
  2. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Its hard to believe ...

Its got a great rating, but (see "Rate This Thread" at the top of every page) only 42 votes have been cast as of this date!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  3. Thanks for the Tony Pizzi stuff. We went to him a few times in about '71, for some head work. My friend ,Joe DeLorenzo recommended him.
    Loved the Philly accent and gung- ho attitude . Great guy ,,A true legend..
    ..... but Studes? Who knew?

[​IMG]

4. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Here is an ad for a former Jr driver and car. The car was Brad Waktins '69 Z-28 Pizzi prepped G/S that was sold to the Wheatley's. They ran it with a 396 in IHRA and AHRA trim. They bought a new 1970 Camaro 307/3 spd car and built it for Pro Stock. They never finished the car and sold both.

Attached Files:

Spoggie likes this.
  5. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

You know how it was Mark, it wasn't a matter of if you liked the car/brand or not, it was all about the 'factor' ... how the car 'fit' in the class.

By the way ... how did your event go?

6. It went great, Steve.
    Here's a thread that picks up after the fact:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...25&highlight=southwest+nostalgia+drags&page=4

The Stock / Super Stock car count was down quite a bit after 9 races in a row out here.
    "Some guy " with a turbo 2300 Mustang qualified No. 1 @ 1.39 under the index.
    Must be a good factor, huh?

7. Jim Pizzi

Jim Pizzi

Pizzi5.jpg
    Hi All,
    I forgot to post this pic yesterday!

8. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

9. sneakyPete

sneakyPete
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for all the great pics, Jim!
    Do you have any other pics of the Schmidt's cars? My Boss drove one of them at one point, but no longer has any photos. I can find out which car and when.
    thanks
    Pete

10. Jim Pizzi

Jim Pizzi

Hi Pete,
    I think one was a stocker and the pic is a modified. I don't have any other pics.
    I will be 62 in May and I am getting a case of CRS (can't remember shit) myself. Wasn't the stocker the one with the red paint with the Schmits logo in turned gold leaf? I think he drove that one in Vets statium at the games. Like is said I have CRS. Where are you in Pa.

Jim

11. sneakyPete

sneakyPete
    Alliance Vendor

check your PM Jim
    Pete

12. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

It's a Canadian Chevy, not from California. They are a little different.

Bob

13. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

US cars had the serial plate (VIN) on the drivers "A" pillar while Canadian cars had the serial plate on the firewall. A Canadian car serial number will tell you if the car was a standard or auto trans, US cars don't tell you. US cars have the floors painted red oxide primer on the under side while cars from the land of ice and snow have them painted body colour.

Blast Off came from off the Canadian assembly line as a 6 cyl, 3 speed standard trans, 210 HT, and the colour was Highland Green Metallic. No two-tone on this car.

Besides the above info if you look at the ebay pics you can read the serial number on the firewall, the top of the serial tag says "General Motors of Canada Limited"

[​IMG]

Bob

14. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

There are other small differences mostly to do with Canadian vs US suppliers to GM.

Bob

15. Bills 50

Bills 50
    from Roanoke Va

That's an Olds grille.....

Bob Moore's 59 Chevy from Washington state. We discussed early on how the stock rules back then allowed for minor customizing of grilles. Can anyone I.D. what the grille in Moore's Chevy is? It looks familiar.

16. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Your right colesy the info here is mind boggling to me.i hope my memory holds up 1/10th as well as some of these fine gentlemen here over time.
    sometimes i cannot even remember if i ate lunch LOL (blonde factor)

if it wasn't for Bob Rice and his vast collection of photos it would have been till probly 8 months ago that i had ANY idea what i owned.

you see i had no idea and my dad didn't tell me or anyone else what "rose" was.I had 2 time slips from cecil co dragoway from in the glovebox and the memory from back in the 70's when my dad bought it,of the paper on the window with a pic of the car at the starting line and something about a winning car.to go on.But i figured it out with the help of the wwweb and people like bob!

My sister while we were going thru estate stuff said "oh dad couldn't of had any idea what it was" then about 2 weeks later my sis in law walked over to me and handed me a picture cliped out of a magazine of "Tokyo Rose" It was in my mom's jewelry drawer!"i belive it was the one from on the paper that was on the window when bought!"

Maybe pops was testing me?

17. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

18. Jim Pizzi

Jim Pizzi

I bet it gets great gas milage too!

19. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Bill,
    You need to share some of the junior stock pictures from your photo albums.
    Bob Rice

20. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't buy something mis-matched like this.

I have a 1956-specific 2X4 intake manifold P/N 3731394 that is solid. I've had it for 35+ years, never thought about selling it. But if it could contribute to the correct restoration of this interesting car, I would let it go. But I would need your promise that you would use it only on this car. If interested, please PM me a reasonable offer.

21. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Here is something I found today that dates back to 1965. It is interesting to note that almost every one of the stockers was driven to the track, as were many of the M/P cars.

Allan Whiteley's C/MP car was a '55 Chevy sedan with a 327 & 4 speed, stock bell housing & clutch, no traction devices. I think I loaned him a pair of slicks that I bought from a guy for $25. He had run them on a dune buggy!

Allan was driving the '55 one Saturday night with his girlfriend and another couple in the car. Somebody challenged him leaving a traffic light on a dual lane highway and a drag race ensued, imagine that! Allan's throttle linkage stuck and he missed the 2-3 shift. The thing over-reved, blew the cast iron flywheel & clutch, which came through the floor, dash and roof, cutting off the rear motor mounts in the process.

A chunk of pressure plate hit the girlfriend's chest and winded her. Another chunk hit the guy in the back seat and knocked him out. Another hot Saturday night in the 1960's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Hi Guys, I spoke to Joe Scotto today (I see him about once a week) and he said that the Scotto/Blevins 55 Nomad is somewhere around Lancaster PA as far as he knows. He also told me that the Scotto/Blevins Corvette is in Canada and was offered back to Scotto for $80k. He declined to buy it back. His partner-Paul Blevins has passed on to the 1320 in heaven. Until next time: Dave

23. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Nope,the Blevins Scotto 55 nomad is in upstate NY.
    My friend,fellow Hamber,Racemad bought it years ago
    and did a great job restoring it.We have brought it to
    York US 30 reunion many times.Met and talked with Paul
    and Joe a bunch of times.

24. markus A

markus A

Would love to see that car run again. Mike and I (Mike Mazepa 66 Chevy II Nova M/S) often pitted near Paul and Joe at Englishtown. We all like the same spot...enjoyed some fellow racer camaraderie with Paul and Joe. Although we were in different eliminators it was always helpful to BS about track conditions, adjustments, etc. Both nice guys...it's these little flash backs that keeps me coming here.

25. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

When Racemad finished the Nomad about 7-8 years ago,
    we took it to Englishtown for one of their reunion shows.
    Rick(racemad)was in touch often with Paul during the build
    and both he and Joe came to the track.The management
    was pleased we all were there and talked up the guys and
    Nomad quite a bit.Then Paul,after a little ceremony,drove
    the car down the strip.Pretty neat deal.Sad about Paul.Joe is a pisser.
    Funny guy with lots of neat stories.He found the
    Nomad in a junkyard.Think the price was $50.

26. farm1810

farm1810

The question about Bob Moore's 59 Chevrolet grill. That looks very much like a Rambler grill from the early 60's to me. Does that trigger any thoughts from anyone else when you look at this car?

27. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Looking forward to seeing it at the York event this summer. Last time I saw it was on a beautiful New Jersey Spring day thirty-eight years ago ...

Attached Files:

28. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Anyone notice the well-known racer who is indicated as the Nomad's 'driver' (see his name, above driver's side door).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  29. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

30. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland