Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Hare & Hound Run

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Well,having taken part in a couple of "time distance rally's",in much more recent years. Knowbody adhere's to speed limits,since mistakes always happen(we men,don't follow directions well:eek:). You can certainly see,how the general public,viewed hot rodders as "hoodlums",with activities like that fueling their opinions.:D

3. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

always seemed like fun to me when i read about it

4. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Where HAVE all the hoodlums GONE anyway????

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

The next HAMB event perhaps??:D

6. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I always tried to get the most penalty points for being early without being disqualified!

We came up to a little town in the north of Italy 'bout two hours ahead of the rest of the cars.

Up comes a motor officer leads us thru the town at full speed and points to the side of the road.

We waited till the cars close to our number showed up and joined in again

I think that might be the closest I ever came to being thrown out of the Mille Miglia Storica and pretty sure I'm the only one that ever got a 'Stop & Go''

Do you know how many I come on that scene in the photo? Change cars
    change country. Same scene.

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Go to the HAMB Drags... more laws broken in a 48 hour period then I care to know about.

hiboy32 likes this.
  8. CruZer

CruZer

The town I grew up in in the '50's has the highest mountain peak in Mass. My older cousins talked about "hair & hound" events held after school where the guys would race up the road to the peak and someone at the top would time them.

They learned early on NOT to race back down the switchbacks because no cars brakes could take that kind of punishment and last the whole way down.

I heard that there were a few wrecks,mostly dented fenders,because remember, we're talking 6 cylinder Chevys& Mopars and flathead Fords that were mostly stock and couldn't go very fast up that mountain road. Plus the drop offs were pretty scary and the road had very few guardrails.

Glenn

9. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Same concept still happens today. We did them when I was attending Texas A&M - we called them Lime Runs. Instead of a flag, you'd use a lime.

It was a lot of fun until a kid in a 300ZX missed his lime at night, and went over a curb at around 80mph, pushing all four struts up through the bodywork.

Well... it was still fun for everybody else. :D Yeah, hotrodders are hoodlums.

10. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Come up (or down, depending on where you live... could also be over as well)... Well come to The Bronx and you'll see some hoodlums, but they wont be driving their cars too fast or making a turn with-out their signal on!

11. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I was thinking the same thing... I might have to work on this for us north Texas folks!

12. Lucky77

Lucky77

Man, and I thought a few donuts in a dimly lit Wal-Mart parking lot at 3am was being rebelous:rolleyes:

13. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

Just keep in mind those street racers from a few weeks ago. There are so many more people now, who work all hours of the day and night, that can get involved and lead to disaster. Too bad.

14. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

CruZer - my buddy Bruce and me in his '53 Stude comin' down off Mt. Greylock one fine Spring day after ditchin' classes @ PHS and NO BRAKES! Interesting ride to say the least. Probably why I want a hand brake hooked up nowadays... vic

15. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

You know what I mean.....;)

Trust me man......if I could afford the drive from WA to Mokan....I'd be there....sleeping on the ground cuz I can't afford a room......hahaha:)

Someday, I'll make it, it's a goal of mine to DRIVE my hotrod a few states away to a COOL event.....the Revolution may be the first.:D

16. some of my neighbors think i am a hoodlum,does that count?

17. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Too much fun.

Back in the '70s we used to do those in the local sports car clubs. Sometimes they used flour instead of lime. As tie breakers they used to have you count the lime drops. I still remember coming over a rise in the road running near 90 to make up for getting lost and seeing about thirty lime spots along the side of the road. We just estimated the number and said he hell with accuracy.:D

18. Steve Hedke

Steve Hedke

This sounds a lot like Greatrace, except that the timing is more precise. I've run my hot rod in it for a few years now and there are times when you have to make up losses. We do it under control but the essential concept is the same.

19. bigken

bigken

Oh hell yea, just what I was thinking. There was a M/C in Ft. Worth, that used to sponsor a Midnight-Madness Lime Run. Started at midnight, and went about 120 miles. Same concept, busted bag of lime on the road meant you were going the right way. 2 bags meant a turn coming up, and you had to choose, left or right. A busted bag 100 yards down meant you made the right chioce. And so on. Now, it's 2a.m./3a.m./4a.m., you and your buds have been stopping off for a 'toke and a brew', you can see where that's going. Serious munchies by sun-up.
    That event died out with the avent of lawyers and liabilities (bastards). Then we all got old. (sucks).

20. misfit36

misfit36
    from new york

21. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

:eek::eek: I don't know if I should admit to this or not.... :confused:, but we used to do this back in the '60's..... in the winter!!! We would mark the route with an X using spray bomb! Things got out of hand real quick!:rolleyes: Some folks would try to confuse the issue by doing 360's over the X. Lot's of fools would end up in peoples front yards. etc! Talk 'bout your hoodlems!!! No one got hurt thank God!:D

22. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

What the heck are Y'all talking about? I'm right here!
    (note tag line)

23. Ramblur

Ramblur

Hahaha. Triple H baby! HAMB Hare&Hound...OR possibly what Chevy
    named the HHR for Hare & Hound Run.

24. My father's high school car club in Escondido, CA (The Dragons) used to hold the same type of "informal" events. He tells a great story about tearing through an avacado grove one night and coming to an "abrupt" stop due to a drainage ditch in the field. The Model A had to be towed out...and the insert in the roof had to be repaired as well. Apparently his female "co-pilot" wasn't holding on too tight and did and "up and out" through the insert. Good times.

25. Paul Y

Paul Y

In the mid 80's we used to see who could get the fastest 'lap' of the M25 starting and finishing at the Dartford Tunnel Toll.

A lap is about 117 miles as the road circles London, during the day traffic spends most of its time at a standstill bit at night it was a differant matter...

We only had old bangers and the lap would take us about 90 minutes so we would be traveling at over 100mph for most of the journey. The quick boys would be doing it in about an hour...

Ah youth... When you are indistructable and you cant even spell consequences...

P.

26. HotRodTom32

HotRodTom32
    from DSM, Iowa

Most of my neighbors KNOW that I'm a hoodlum! :eek::eek::eek:

27. HotRodTom32

HotRodTom32
    from DSM, Iowa

I STILL can't spell it!

28. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

I never did that. lol

29. James Curl

James Curl

Our lime runs also had a checkpoint at each spot where the lime was lined across the road. A pad wad nailed to a fence post or a highway post within 50' of the lime mark and you had to find your number and tear it out. At the finish the person with the shortest time and the most tickets won a prize, some were very good prizes. This was in the open hill country of central Texas in the fifties. We also did Hound and Hare on these same roads but the hound would fire a flare every so many minutes and you had to try to figure where he was and where he was going and try to catch him, this didn’t last long because it turned into an all out race between the contestants.

30. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

One of my earliest car activities was a run like this, put on by Meramec College in St.Louis. Must've been 1984 or so. Dad let me use the 75 Torino. I still have the red T-shirt!