Register now to get rid of these ads!

Period pictures - German Coachbuilt Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by James D, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Bet you never saw one of these before!

Found this three post cards while looking round a fleamarket. Seems like they are some promotional cards given away at a motorshow by the coachbuilder - Ludewig Brothers in Essen. I had to look twice to even see what this was, but sure enough, behind those grille bars is a `30 - `31 grille shell. The fenders look semi original too.

Certainly an interesting example of how it was done, back in the day. I can´t see that anyone would do this to a Model A now, which is a pity. Its more "custom" or "sports car" than anything else. Look at the way the running boards kick up behind the fenders, but don´t meet them. And the way its channelled so as to lose the panels between the running boards and the body. And those wheels! I thought they were just covers at first, but they´re not. Anyone see a set of these before? 1931s version of "dubs" possibly?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think?

2. davesville

davesville

james i think there is more to this than meets the eye

3. How so? These aren´t photoshopped if thats what you´re thinking. I have the original cards in front of me.

4. davesville

davesville

i didnt mean it that way james.there is no question this is the original card i meant this in regard to the car maybe a400 modified thanks for youre previous help dave

5. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

I generally dislike Model A's, but this is one trhat I would like to have in my garage - with a few mods, of course!!!

6. alchemy

alchemy

Grille is 28-9 A, front fenders are 30-1 A, and rear fenders have a 32 look to them.

7. You´re right about that grille. I was wondering of the doors are from some other old German car perhaps. Would have saved them a lot of trouble for sure.