Register now to get rid of these ads!

Crown Vic Front Clip in a 48 Ford F1 Pickup?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lugnutz, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Lugnutz

Lugnutz

I'm redoing a 48 Ford F1 Pickup, and I have a chance to buy an 84 Ford Crown Victoria for a good price. It's a 302 and automatic. I'm thinking I might possibly be able to move the entire drivetrain over to my F1 (and replace the fuel injection with carbureutor of course). Here's my question. If I don't plan to drop the truck really low, could I possibly use the front clip and a portion of the frame from the Crown Vic, and weld it up to the F1 frame? I think the tracking is about right, but has anyone here done this before? Does anyone have any input as to what the good and bad to this might be? Is this just a stupid idea, or will it work?

2. Lugnutz

Lugnutz

Ok, I see that 30 people have viewed my post here, but nobody has commented either positively nor negatively about this idea. Surely someone has done this before, or someone at least has a comment? I see alot about Camaro or Firebird front clip swaps, but why wouldn't this work?

3. Crestliner

Crestliner

I would say the first thing is to check the width. A lot ot subframes are to wide and look like s--t.

4. Notorious

Notorious

That's the trouble with Fords. They never used anything except their crappy unibodies in smaller cars. The only later car frame which might be a tad narrower would be the '72 and up Torino, (big) Cougars, LTDII, etc. Before '72, even the Torinos were unibody. I would certainly have to think that the later full size platform is going to be too wide for your truck. You might get away with it with wheels that are nearly completely offset inward, but I don't think you want that. There are some oil pan set-ups that would allow your engine to work well with a GM clip, if that later 302's pan is not compatible.

5. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

first off- Are ya sure about the fuel injection in '84?
    Measure the track first, center of tire to center of tire.
    Measure and compare the frame rails of the Crown Vic to the
    pick up. You may have to step cut the Crown vic cross member
    to get it to fit. How much wider is the Crown Vic than the Pick up?
    maybe a pick up on a Crown Vic. frame?

Swankey Devils c.C.

6. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

I would'nt do it. I'd look into an Aerostar front end for that truck. I helped a guy mount one once in a `50 F-1 and it worked well. If memory serves me correctly the `50 F-1 frame sat right down where the Aerostar frame rails once were. Did I mention that the whole assembly unbolts from the Aerostar. The biggest hurdles were mounting the upper A- frames on top of the F-1 framerails, and the Aerostar rack points up at about 60 degrees instead of back at 45 dgrees or so. No big deal really to modify the rack mount. IMO this would be a way better situation than cutting frame rails.

7. George

George

I believe they had carbs through '85.

8. spare parts

spare parts

Lugnutz,Go to www.ford-trucks.com do a search on '48/'60 front suspension alternatives and chech out Part 4. It expains the crown vic swap.

9. Lugnutz

Lugnutz

Thanks guys. I gained alot of useful info here. I'm not sure about the fuel injection. That's just what the guy who owns it told me, and I've never looked under the hood. Would be nice if it is carb fed. The ford-trucks site is really chocked full of good info. Thanks for that SpareParts. I never considered the Aerostar frontend swap, so I'll keep that in mind. I first thought I'd graft the F1 frame to a 1st or 2nd generation Camaro front-end, and I'm still thinking that may be the best way to go.

10. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Wrong,1984 & 1985 had TBI's they did have the same baseplate on the intake as a 2bbl .I have a '84 302 & AOD in my '54 Customline.

11. Ole don

Ole don

I have seen it done with a full sized Ford front, but the fellow said never again. I have a 52 F1 that I plan to build soon, I want to use a front from an Aerostar van. The width is right, it bolts on with four bolts, but to get the truck low enough, it may need to be Zeed. It has 10 1/4 inch discs, power rack, huge sway bar, all in one.

12. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

The front track width on the early trucks is quit narrow - something on the order of 57" or so...check the track width carefully.

Yes, early '80s Ford luxo-barges were TBI...

13. McKee

McKee

14. One word for your front suspension: Jaguar

The Jag front clip is almost a bolt-in, and you will be down in the weeds without Z-ing the frame. Most 70-80's Jags are nearly free as the engines cost too much to mess with when things go bad, plus the bodies and electrical problems. The front suspension is a good design and is essentially self-contained unit that you can unbolt from the donor car. Oh yeah, they also have 5 on 4.75 GM bolt pattern for the wheels.

15. EJ

EJ

What year of aerostar van do he use for the front end.

16. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Why not use the original front end THAT"S what would be used in a pre-64 Hot Rod. With the parts available, new and used, it IS the only option 'round these parts.

Scotty

17. i used a 3" dropped axle from sids, 2" reversed eye dropped monoleaf springs, original drum brakes and original sterring with a small block chevy and 5-speed. woks very well, over 5000 miles since june. i dont im=nderstand why any one would want to use oddball stuff that few have tryed. the jaguar is a good set up, the rest i have seen done and they dont look right, tires hit etc. mine is as low as i wanted it and can barley get a floor jack under it, but rides and handles very well, just my 2 cents.

18. Why is it people can afford old cars, but not a tape measure ?

alanp561 likes this.
  19. adam401

adam401

Also why do people post about stupid modern conversions on a traditional hot rod forum? So many unanswered questions.

20. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Why not convert him round to our way of thinking?

Scotty

21. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co