Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical WHEELS, Home made spiders for $10 a wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flt-blk, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Several people have ask me how I made mine so here goes.

I am running a plain steel wheel with wide whites and wanted
    the spider cap look. I’m not about to pay the current prices for
    original or repop Spiders, so I chose to make my own.

Everything happens at the swap meet, I picked up some bullets
    from the local Wirth custom booth, similar to night prowlers but
    closer to the BBQ stand. The front bullets are around 2” and the
    rears are 3”.

I kept walking the swap meet and found a fella with several boxes
    of bullet lug nuts for 50 cents each.
    Total investment is around $40.
    http://www.thenightprowlers.com/ http://wirthscustomauto.com/

[​IMG]

2. The front bullets are cast and have a threaded boss inside. I
    ground down the boss until it fit snugly over the spindle dust cap.
    Drilled a hole in the dust cap and bolted it down. Pop the dust
    cover back on and the fronts are done.
    Be careful and use a very flat bolt or screw so it doesn’t hit the
    spindle nut before the dust cap is fully seated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. The rear bullets have a bracket inside so I copied that bracket and
    welded it to the wheel. The bullet outside diameter is the exact
    same size as the raised boss on my wheels so I ground the weld
    down until it fit very tight. A nut bolt and lock washer from the back
    side is all it takes to cinch them down. Now the rear is done.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Now it’s your turn to be creative and make some for yourself.
    TZ

4. very cool Flt-Blk.. I did the same thing except mine was a little easier. Others could do it as well, what I did was buy some of the Radir bullets (you can find them on their website) then just tap them with a rubber mallett thru the backside of the wheel, presto cheap spiders. I too added the bullet lugs and you get the same effect at a fraction of what the repop spiders are going for, better yet they are all metal no ghetto chrome. sorry no pics, but looks like the above pics..

5. haring

haring

Nice!

I have a question about how you attached the front bullet. Do you screw the bullet to the dust cap and THEN put it on the hub, or do you put the cap on the hub THEN screw the bullet on?

I ask because I have a real problem getting caps to go on and seat straight without a bunch of fussing and finessing.

6. Good tech. [​IMG]
    I was wondering how I was going to do it. You method is a lot easier that the hours I was going to spend in the machine shop whittling a set out.

7. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

Good tech, however I noticed something.

In this pic...
    [​IMG]

When you actually get around to changing a tire, are you going to do it by hand. All the machines I've seen to slip a tire on uses a treaded post with a wingnut to hold it to the machine, which goes throught that center hole you welded the plate across. Your spiders do look good though [​IMG]

8. I had new tires installed and they did not have a problem with my caps. They didnt take them off, but I am not sure what they did about the method you speak off..

9. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

[ QUOTE ]
    Good tech, however I noticed something.

In this pic...

When you actually get around to changing a tire, are you going to do it by hand. All the machines I've seen to slip a tire on uses a treaded post with a wingnut to hold it to the machine, which goes throught that center hole you welded the plate across. Your spiders do look good though [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

that was *exactly* what I was wondering myself. Changing the tire(s) would be no problem, but balancing... might. The kiddo at Discount Tire will have to dig out the lug centric plate and balance them as if theyre lug centric wheels. Any ways... looks Great!!

Dennis

10. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

just a thought to solve that problem. make a round piece just bigger than the bolt pattern. hold it behind the wheel and trace the bolt pattern through the lug holes. drill em out then make the same type bracket FLT-BLK did and weld the two pieces together. then weld a nut inside the bullet and a bolt to the bracket. slip the new "spider plate", you just made, over the lugs, slip the wheel on, tighten the lugs then screw on the bullet.

ofcourse its not like you change tires every week (i hope) so it would'nt be a big thing to grind the tack welds off when you have them changed, then tack em back on when done.

nice tech brutha. these tech posts just keep gettin better and better....

11. I don't know what you'all have out there for tire changers... but out here all the tire shops have the kind that has the air table that grips the rim... and not the style with the thing that goes up through the middle... for balancing, you could always bubble balance them. [​IMG]

Sam.

12. Satinblack

Satinblack

Cool idea! Yes there would be a problem balancing your tires, but half of these people probably dont do that anyway. I think I'll stick with original spiders. I like the look of traditional parts. just my opinion, Satin

13. Haring,
    I bolted the bullet to the cap and tapped it on with a soft
    face mallet, not problem.

On the tire changing deal, The fronts are not an issue, I
    did think about that on the rear. When I need to change tires I plan on cutting the bracket loose then welding it back on. Shouldn't take more than 10 min.

I figure I have another couple years before I need tires
    and don't plan on worrying about it until then.

Satin,
    I like to make my stuff instead of buying it, traditional
    or not. The $300 savings is just a bonus.

TZ

14. [ QUOTE ]
    I don't know what you'all have out there for tire changers... but out here all the tire shops have the kind that has the air table that grips the rim... and not the style with the thing that goes up through the middle... for balancing, you could always bubble balance them. [​IMG]

Sam.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bubble balance anyway, but

what if I'm on my way to say Livermore and trash a tire in say Arm Pit, Utah (no offense to you Utah guys). They just don't happen to have Star Wars Technology in Arm Pit. I guess its the bumper jack, and tire spoon.... [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. P&B
    Hack saw for the bracket, and no bullet for the rest of the
    trip through Arm Pit.
    TZ

16. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

$14 Halbol Flate anger glinduh in tlunk of cal. Tile go pop, you glind off blacket and give to glease monkrey tile-change-uh boy.

Sorry, gotta practice the accent, or I won't be able to make an ass of myself when I'm drunk...

17. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

[ QUOTE ]
    When I need to change tires I plan on cutting the bracket loose then welding it back on. Shouldn't take more than 10 min.
    TZ

[/ QUOTE ]

Why bother? Most tire places have what they call lug centric balancing plates. Because not all wheels have a center pilot hole that is concentric with the lug holes (stamped in most cases.) The balancing plate is a spun piece of alum with a concentric center pilot hole, studs and lug nuts. They just spin it on to the balancer and then mount your wheels up to it.

18. dondanno

dondanno

Great Idea! One thing you could do is make a plate for the back that is recest to center on the back of the rim and still bolt the cap like you are doing, then you dont have to weld anything. When you have to spin balance you just unbolt the cap. Just a thought...But still a great Idea..Danny

19. Monkey

Monkey
    from Owasso, OK

Thanks for posting this Tyler. I needed to see how you did it again. I think I'm just going to use the two spiders I have for the rear, and then do the dust-cover bullets on the front. Those are the easiest to do, am I right?

Very very cool man!

later,
    Monkey

20. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

Cool tech! The tire changer at work has a clamp system that grabs the rim on the outside of the bead or on the inside edge of the rim.

21. shoebox72

shoebox72

Great tech.

Billy

22. BLAKE

BLAKE

Damn I'm glad you posted this - was gonna ask you about these at RIC's place after Christmas but it was real dark and drunk outside. [​IMG] Very cool tech!

23. OutLaw

OutLaw

Real nice "FANCY PANTS" Real nice

24. ahhh...the pics make it a little easier to grasp...like Buford, the time Tyler explained it to me it was really cold, really dark and my vision was fuzzy.....this sounds bad.

anywho, thanks for the tip Tyler!!!!!!!

25. Next time we meet I'm gonna look at that truck alot closer.

Your tech post are a much valued addition to this place.

Keep on Truckin....HAHA I've been waiting 30 years to use tha phrase again [​IMG]

26. Thanks for the positive feedback.

I would rather spend time in the garage fabricating than
    buy a part. Sometimes this is good, sometimes not.

Since I don't buy stuff, I invest in tools and supplies.
    I don't have cable TV so I get another $50 a month for
    tools and there is nothing to watch on my 7 fuzzy chanels so I go to the shop.

Maybe I should take some pictures as I build my new 20gal
    gas tank to justify the metal brake I picked up.
    TZ

27. Flt Blk,
    I'm gonna build 'em the way you posted anyway. If I got to hack saw in Arm-Pit I will. [​IMG] I've done more extreme to make the trip before.
    I tell you I've wracked my brain to try n figure out an easy way to do spiders. So far the best I came up with was going to take some time with a bridgport n lathe.
    Yours is straight forward and doable for just about anyone.
    As I already said, great post. [​IMG]

28. ray

ray
    from colorado

some of you guys may not be aware, that there usta be an even better cheap alternative to spiders, well i don't know about better function, but better looks. the bullet lug nuts are kinda skinny lookin. not fat cones like spiders. well they used to have these press on lug nut caps. exact same size/shape as the lug nut covers on the cal custom spiders. i have one set, they are cast brass or something, but the casting is porous, so the chrome isn't real shiny. but i have seen other brands that are better quality. they just press over stock lugnuts, only problem is they would loosen after being installed/removed. hafta glue em on.

i also got a set, just because, that are like little tiny two bar knock offs for your lug nuts, really cheezy, and i will never put them on a car, but they were neat.

29. Funny you should mention those ray.
    I have 19 of them. Since it wasn't a full set they
    are stuck on every 3/4" bolt head on the car. They are
    perfect for wiper bullets too, one glob of silicone and
    youre done.

Some on 67ImpWagon's car too, anybody who stops by TZ's
    garage may end up with them stuck to something.
    TZ