Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Listen to a pre-war flathead V8 roadster running on nitro

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 777, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Plan9,
    I believe that the castor oil was used as a top end lube. The reason I believe that is when I was tunning an alchy mill for a fella after I grew up I was talking to the Ol' Man for advice (and to make him think I was really something turns out he already thought that go figure) and he was telling me that when you are running on alcohol you really need something to cushion the valves a little. A little oil would help with that.

That is just my thoughts on it, I haven't read about it anyhwere or had someone come right out and say it to me.

That flatty on pop does sound sweet by the way. :cool:

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

very cool ride - have pic of motor? the 1942 "Hot Fuel" is pretty wild formula. VP Racing Fuels site says M5 is for an injection set-up and M3 for carburetor use. of course they are talking high tech parts, not old style motors and carbs. nitro is good for show'n'smell only unless you are running big horsepower.

3. 777

from Pasadena

you can find some video of the engine in this event coverage, around the 10min mark.
    I agree, couldn't really tell a difference in how it ran with nitro other then it was very forgiving fuel wise and it made a "clapping" sound in the pipes rather then the raspy tone it usually makes on gas.
    I can see why guys would keep throwing fuel "nitro" at engines though because it will burn as much as you throw at it as long as its already lite. Sort of addciting!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kJheak2zuXQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. keep coming back to this just to listen.........love it!

Jay