Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Sectioned 1940 Ford convertible Original 1950's Custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Jan 2, 2008.

1. koolkemp

koolkemp

Wow great story!! I agree,the car is in good hands now, it looks fantastic!

2. devilscustom

devilscustom
    from Sweden

Cool story and a cool car

3. newjersm3

newjersm3

4. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

5. R&C RON

R&C RON

I love this thread , this car really represents my favorite era and style of customizing! It is wonderful to see it being lovingly restored back to its glory days. I have been looking thru my old books and magazines for articles on sectioning.The closest thing I have found to instructions is in my 1949 Don Post Blue Book of Custom Restyling.Please keep us updated!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Very cool book, Ron. That has to be a rare piece. I love the detailed explanations and how he refers to the process as "sectionalizing".

7. The first instance of "Ebonics" in print. Funny! So that's how it started.

8. 40FordCustomConv

40FordCustomConv

UPDATE!! I visited Wayne's shop a couple of weeks ago to look at the progress on dad's 1940 Ford convertible, and it is getting very close to being completed! Wayne has done a phenomenal job on restoring dad's car back to the way it was back in 1953! He's also kept some of the history of the car when Sherman Utsman owned it. Wayne is OK with posting pictures so I'm posting some recent pictures. Wayne hopes to have the car finished in August. Thank you R&C Ron for posting the 1949 book on customizing. I'm still searching for the plans dad used that he ordered out of a magazine. My research had led me to think that the plans he used might have been based off of the Valley Custom 1940 Ford convertible that was built in 1948. Enjoy the pictures! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. 40FordCustomConv

40FordCustomConv

Here's a few more pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. 40FordCustomConv

40FordCustomConv

While I'm posting pictures...here's some pictures of my cars: The 1968 Mustang GT Fastback is my first car. I got it in 1978 and I've been fortunate to be able to keep it for the past 34 years. I'm the second owner of the all original, unrestored survivor.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    You can read more about my Mustang here: http://www.firebirdtransamparts.com/hogheadgarage/68mustang/68mustang.htm<o:p></o:p>
    I also have a 1978 Y88 Gold Special Edition Trans Am, 1 of 1267, 400, 4-speed, WS6, also an unrestored survivor that I've owned for over 17 years:
    [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    You can read more about the Trans Am here: http://www.firebirdtransamparts.com/hogheadgarage/briansy88-2/my_trans_am_page.htm<o:p></o:p>
    We've been selling 1970-81 Firebird Trans Am used parts since 1999 and you can check that out here: http://www.firebirdtransamparts.com<o:p></o:p>
    You can also check out our other cars that we've built here:
    http://www.firebirdtransamparts.com/hogheadgarage/hogheadgarage.htm

11. -Brent-

-Brent-

Wow. That car is incredible, the story is incredible.

If a car can be lucky, I'd say this one is. This car represents a story that's so often lost in these old finds. It's rare to have something, like this, come full circle.

The car looks very well built and people don't just toss a car like this together. It's passion and artistry that gets someone to build a car as such. I imagine selling it to provide for your family left a little sting in the creative part of your dad's essence. The fact that it is being brought back to life hits me in the gut. Besides you, this car represents the man your father was when you were born.

It's my great hope to live a long while and watch my son grow up to be a man. But if I leave to early, I hope there's something like this in the world he could get a glimpse of my passion and personality.

12. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

WOW! Always something fantastic happening in the world of customs!!! Your dad was a cool cat!

13. That 40 is just plain BITCHIN!!!!!

14. Rikster

Rikster

Looks FANTASTIC... thanks for keeping us updated.

15. Ol Dawg

Ol Dawg

Really a sharp car. Cool seeing it brought back to life. Just wondering what was the original running gear , Motor, Trans, Etc?

16. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks for the updated pics the car looks fantastic !!

17. 296ardun

296ardun

Just saw this thread, sorry I missed it earlier...what a great story...your father was a real craftsman, and the quality of the work shows in the black paint...thanks for sharing this story with us, look forward to more progress...

18. shoebox50

shoebox50

19. 40FordCustomConv

40FordCustomConv

Thank you all for the great comments!! To answer Ol Dawg's question:
    Here's the specifications on the running gear in dad's car in 1953:
    Engine: 1940 Ford block bored to 3-3/16" standard Mercury; new 4 ring pistons; 1950 Mercury crankshaft with 4" stroke; 29A connecting rods; cadmium silver bearings; truck oil pump; 3/4 H&C camshaft; adjustable tappets; Lincoln valve springs parted and relieved; 7.5:1 Edlebrock heads (plus bore and stroke equal 9.0:1 compression ratio); Edmands 2 carb manifold and two regular Ford carburetors; H&C distributor.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Transmission: Transmission is stock 1940 Ford except for: main drive gear, cluster gear, second gear, and sliding gear, which are from a Lincoln 25 tooth cluster. <o:p></o:p>
    Rear axle: Rear axle is stock 1940 Ford. <o:p></o:p>
    Exhaust: Clark headers and Smitty mufflers were used. Tail pipes were custom made from 1934 Chevy and 1940 Ford pipes combined. <o:p></o:p>

When Sherman Utsman bought dad's car, he swapped out the flathead for a 283 Chevy and that engine is still in the car today.

20. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

That's awesome! Hope you get to cruise it soon

21. Mike Moreau

Mike Moreau

Great story. Hot rodding has now been around long enough for the passage of time to add perspective and value to these icons. The restoration workmanship insures this car will be preserved and always be protected. Sectioned 40 Fords are among the most beautiful customs ever. Thanks for sharing.

22. That little ford is super sweet. A tape measurer and some close inpection should make the process fairly simple if you use the sectioned car as a pattern. Not super easy, but a decent body man should be able to copy it. Great car and cool story I wish all concerned the best of luck.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a beauty and what a story.

24. 50Fraud

50Fraud

That's a very nice looking sectioned '40. It's very similar to the car that Valley Custom built for Ralph Jilek, but the Jilek car appears to have had fender skirts for only a brief period. All of its magazine features were without skirts.

I think this car wears its skirts very nicely, and even though it's not super low, the stance looks pretty good with the skirts.

The restoration appears to be first-rate. I'll be interested to see the car when it's done.
    Is the current owner planning to build a top for it?

25. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

I helped my dad (probably less than I remember:D) build a 1940 ford convertible 20 something years ago. He passed away March 31st. Definitely not how I wanted to end up with the car, but we talked for years about what I'd do with the car "someday" and he always told me "You can do what ever you want with the damn car when I'm gone". I'm starting on a similar journey. I'm going from street rod to 50's mild custom (there's nothing mild about your dad's old ride). This thread hit the spot. Makes me appreciate having my dad so long.

P.S. Your dad had balls of steel sectioning that car. I guess they were easier to find in the 50's but still.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  26. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

too cool! thanks for sharing!

27. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Whoa! Way neat story!

28. thequietwon

thequietwon

I have seen the car & followed it's progress as well. Yes, A Carson style top has been built & upholstered for it. While I am not a huge fan of sectioned cars, this one is absolutely perfect. I am glad to see pics of this car on the HAMB, it damn sure belongs here. Wayne should be driving her around in the next little bit!
    Sam

29. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Great job! Bringing them back has to be very rewarding.

Thanks for sharing.
    Al

30. exterminator

exterminator

That has to be the most beautiful conv i have ever seen...Period!