Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fear & Loathing The Classic Car Dealer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Your 'location' says it all..............how do you breath with your nose in that position ? :D

Ray

2. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

If Martha's nephew was so concerned about "things", maybe HE'S the one that should have had the Riv gracing HIS yard...

Now, let's take the car out of the equation. Insert Aluminum Siding salesmen. Home Renovators. Driveway Pavers/Resealers. Roofers. Lawn Maintenance/Fertilizer folks. "Fast talkers". Some of those folks deserve to be met at the door with a 12-guage. Some...but far from all...

People trade in vehicles everyday who, given time/patience/skill/networking, could get more for it than the dealer gave. But those folks chose NOT to go to the bother of doing that. Security reasons would be at the top of the list. Strangers showin' up at your door, all hours of the day and night...or, as often happens, NEVER showing up...

It ain't a perfect world...and damn few "'65 Rivs" ever were "perfect", either...

3. The Nephew should've offered the Aunt to let him deal directly with the dealer, instead of letting the elder woman fend for herself. So, I put some blame on the shoulders of the Nephew. He knew someone was grinding his Aunt

4. Townsend

Townsend

Really well written Ryan. The tone is great. It's like HST with humility.

5. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I have enjoyed the banter. With a long weekend of racing approaching (five cars to prepare and race) and the need to get my hands dirty in the shop, I am going to unsubscribe from this thread.

adios

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Quitter!

In all seriousness though... I feel the way I feel about classic car dealers in general. You guys have your own opinion. We aren't gonna change each other through words typed on a computer. Just isn't gonna happen...

That said, I realize there are some fine dealers out there. And a few of them have posted on this thread. Hell, a dealer wouldn't be able to post on this thread unless I figured them for the right kind. In fact, we banned a number of dealers from the forum not long ago.

I love this thread and this article... I wrote the original article sooo long ago and it's interesting to me that it's still relevant. And I love reading how different people interpreted it and reacted to it.

7. larry k

larry k

"HEY BOBWOP" WHERE WERE YOUR WORDS OF WISDOM & THE HAMB CODE,:cool: WHEN YOU SOLD ME MY STUDEBAKER ???? YOU KNOW,, JUST TO BE FAIR ???

8. seatex

seatex

OUCH!:eek:

9. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

Well, Ryan, now that I've presented a couple of counterpoints, let me tell ya how I really feel...

Someone otta verify that the "dealer" is allergic to anti-tetanus shots, massage each rib of his scrawny chest with a dull, rusty shank for takin' advantage of an ill-prepared, easily-flustered widow-lady, then flim-flammin' Mr. Familyman into doin' something [insert Daffy Duck-like voice] deth-picable...

Somewhere, "the Good Book" must have the answer...or a dark alley will suffice.

10. slammed

slammed

These last couple of pages, were revealing.

11. CheaterRome

CheaterRome
    from URANUS

Wait a minute. Technically , your below me Mr. ILLINOIS. I'm not saying my S**T don't stink but I'm from................................ wait for it.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Breathing and loving the smell of victory from a super bowl championship state, off topic i know. But yeah,it smells better. :)

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

What is a "super bowl" and why does it smell ???? :)

Ray

13. CheaterRome

CheaterRome
    from URANUS

Knowing your location that makes perfect sense.

14. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

Nice story Ryan ! Sad but true,happens more than we know about.

15. Another reason to be more of a dick to the buyer:

Guy finds my car on big auction site. Offers me $1500 and wants me to free up the wheels. I ask if he can do a little more. He says he'll go an extra $200 on top of the price for the work and offers $1700. That's a total of $1900, right? Then he'll arrange transport with some company or other, maybe with the guy we usually use if I hear back from him.

So I put it through and tell him where to send the money. Per the listing, he has one week to get me a deposit and two weeks to pay up, he gives me nonsense about being super busy so I say okay, an extra week. When the deposit comes I'll start work on the car, and get back to him with a reciept and the number off the car and so on, and he can pay me off when the car's ready to roll and make the pickup arrangements then. I have some old swap meet crap I stuck in it and forgot about that I need to remove anyways, maybe I can sell some of it.

Somehow $1900 becomes $1700, the extra $200 was in his offer, but he didn't say that. I have to eat fees on the extra funds. Gee thanks, $200 is my cost on the materials and gas for the extra trip to do the work.

So I get excuse after excuse - no deposit sent, no payment sent, days I could have done the work go by one after another. Wants to do Paypal - says in the listing NO paypal. Wants to do a wire transfer - you're not overseas, so sorry, no. Wants to talk to me on the phone - I say no, I want to keep this all in writing so there's no question and no debate who said what. Wants the VIN off the car - I tell him fine, give me the tracking number for the deposit and I'll give it to you then. Calls my buddy and gets it from him instead, behind my back, tries to make arrangements with him instead of me on it. By now I've told him three times I want to be paid by a certain date and he tells me I'll be paid by a later date.

Now the same guy who kept complaining his internet was down was able to reply less than 30 minutes after I told him to send the tracking and I'd send the VIN; was able to send multiple messages in the same day, so that's another lie I caught him in.

I complain that I don't like paying fees on the extra $200, but leave it at that. I get a response about how he knew I was going to demand more money when he paid and he wasn't sending me a dime - but a little later get a message that he'll send his guy with a trailer to get the car as is and give me $1500 cash for it. Another $200 off - but I still have to pay the fees? Where did this hauler magically appear from? Did you forget the car has to be brought out to be picked up and I have to clean some things out of it?

Guy has the balls to tell me I haven't been a "straight shooter" even though I've said the same things and given him the same terms I give everyone else - that no one else has complained about in the least. And even though his story keeps changing, his offer price keeps changing, and I know he's lied to me on at least a couple of things.

At this point I conclude the guy's been pulling my leg the whole time, but I send him one more email setting him straight - I am the seller, I set the terms, he agreed to them when he made his offer, if he's not happy with them too bad, it's too late now, this is when you pay me by, this is how you pay me, this is what you get when you pay, and that's that.

If it was high summer, I'd haul the car to the scrapyard and make them crush it in front of me and send him pictures and say "now you can have it for $1500 asshole" ... it wouldn't be the first car I scrapped after someone jerked me around on it, I have pieces of the last one sitting here - even without selling any, I did good, the money I got out of it I about tripled on parts I bought out of the yard off other cars.

What I've learned is I need to make up a sales contract for vehicles that states all terms specifically and if a buyer doesn't want to agree to it, he can walk. I don't need this kind of bullshit headache over a couple grand; scrap is $350 a ton here in town, if I'm that desperate I can make $700 from him and not have to listen to any of this crap.

16. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

reminds me of when Greg Brady bought a 56 chevy belair convertible from his buddy for $100 which was all the money he had, and the car broke down after he tried to redo all the wiring etc.. , his dad counseled him later, "them who don't look sometimes get tooked".. back in 1970 when the episode aired there seemed to be a lesson to be learned.. watching it today and see someone buy a 56 chevy belair convertible for $100 appears that Greg's buddy got royally taken.. and then the car gets sold at the end to junk dealer for $50.. has a whole different perspective..

17. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One important factor is availability. Many people here are looking for cars that are not easy to find. If a dealer has exactly the car you are looking for and you feel like you have been searching long enough, you open your eyes, do your due dilligence, and make an offer. If I really wanted a car, I would not rule out buying from a dealer.

There may be something more heartwarming about a private transaction, but the bottom line is getting what you're looking for without being taken (and without stealing from the seller).

But no matter who I buy from, my responsibility is to assume that the seller MAY not be being completely honest or even well-informed about what they're selling. Buying from someone you know is different. Buying from someone you never met before, "you pays your money and you takes your chances," dealer or private. Do your homework.

18. I say do your homework as this say's it all...((.USED)) Expect to find some imperfections and negotiate acordingly. Sometimes a deal can be legally right but morally wronge. As a buyer its our place to make or break the deal. I know this will PO a lot of people but If you got screwed more than likely it was your own fault. If you don't know cars all that well then get a professional opinion. Avoid the wow factor, no impulse buys, Ask around about a dealers reputation. if there are descretions move on. and most of all don't blame the seller if you if you don't do your homework. My Dad told me at a very young age that I should not beleve anything I hear and only half of what i see. Even then sometimes I make mistakes. ...... USED..... buyer beware JMO

19. hudsonjoe49

hudsonjoe49

I have had a case brought to me that this guy had sold a car on ebay, He posted a picture of a car that was sold in the past, built another car similar to the one in the picture but not even the same year and sold it as the car sold in the past. That is a bait and switch I was shocked, the classic car community is a small world and everybody knows everybody. We need to cutout dealers like this. It is very depressing that there are people in this world who think they can get away with it. I like to buy cars that have original paint or no paint at all on them. You can see if there is any rust in the quarter panels, rockers, lower cowl etc. I always try and do my homework ask for alot of pictures and I never buy out of state. Just my two cents.

20. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Amen.

21. Energy

Energy

I work at an auto auction, and I guarantee you that that is how most small used car dealers stay in business. Even if they don't self-finance (think J.D.Buyforever), they will pay $2-5K for something at the auction and come as close as possible to doubling their money on each car. And people must be doing it, because those same dealers are back next week buying more of them. I am getting a perpetual :eek: look on my face after seeing what these guys are doing.
    Some days, I am ashamed to claim I am from Earth! :rolleyes:

22. n847

n847

First off Good Read Ryan! I really enjoy the article!

I'm on the fence...I like to look at cars from the owner, I can see the car in its home...I can see where it lived, how it was treated, what kind of tools were in the garage, if the guy (or gal) looke like they could have changed the oil, brakes, etc.
    That being said these guys pull cars from all over the country in places I could never afford to go find them!

23. SteveClary

SteveClary

Loathing!!!

I once purchased a car from a nationwide used car dealership out of urgency.

1. First the sales rep stated none of the reps make commission so ask anybody for assistance.
    2. Next he shows me a wrecked car in his showroom and says "we'll never sell you a car like this".

1.. About a year later the same rep who sold me the car walks into my place of employment and says the dealership is now hiring and the "commissions" are great.
    2.. Some time after that my mechanic said the car was in a major accident at one time.

If a nationwide dealership has their reps lie on script what can you expect from the majority of small potatoe dealerships?

Craigslist has served me well since then: 1965 Chevy shortbed & 1962 Impala Hardtop

24. jazz1

jazz1

It's sketchy enough buying vehicles when you can see them up close,,open the hood and doors and decide if the seller is genuine or just spoutin' verbal diarrhea. Buying vehicles sight unseen such as ebay you are really gambling and hoping to come out on top. I can't imagine spending 10 or 20k sight unseen,,furthermore losing your downpayment..I bought my truck on ebay for 600, Got to wondering why I was the only bidder but after winning the auction seller called me and said I would be happy with the condition of the truck and I was.
    [​IMG]