Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest How To Be A Hot Driver

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Champs not chumps!! Very well written article. Reading parts of it make me think it could be part of a song. Very detailed explanations of whats going on. I can't imagine going 200mph now let alone then. Great Read!

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

They've got far more sand this I do that's for sure. I find myself letting off really putting a car through the paces because I'm such a hack in the garage I know if something breaks it's going to be down for a bit while I figure out how to fix it.

These guys didn't care, they were going for gold every time and that's probably what fueled the innovation back then. That 4 carbed flatty modified is rad.

4. James Curl

James Curl

Those Fawcett little yearly were 75 cents back when Honk, Car Craft, Rod and Custom as well as Hot Rod was still 25 cents an issue. Back then all of the printed material had a lot more technical material in them to help a 17 year old build his first hot rod. Mine was a 29 roadster with 40 hydraulic brakes, no fenders, four banger with an Anson dual down draft manifold with two 97 carburetors and a straight exhaust. 5.50 x 15 on front and 8.20 x 15 on back using Chrysler wheels, thought I was the cats meow, a true hoodlum, duck tails white tee shirt and Levis red tag jeans with the belt loops cut off and roach killer cowboy boots. Ah those really were the good old days.

5. john81

john81

Thumbs up on steering wheel is the what i was told at early age. Long time ago seen a super flip & do end over ends, When they got driver out he was missing a thumbs. Them flat spoke wheels would take them off.

6. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Sometimes you scare me Ryan....I just found and bought this.....

[​IMG]

7. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

I dig the quotes but can someone tell me why auto journalists wrote so wierdly back in the day?

8. James Curl

James Curl

Most were writing for an audience of 15/17 year old boys. If you watch the old Hot Rod Movies they too had the same theme, all 15/17 year old boys had a short attention span and needed for it to be simple and fast, just like sex.

9. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

i inherited my grandpa's repair books & about a thousand magazine from the 50's to 2010,i have that one,ya just gotta love the pocket books of the 50's,it's amazing that any boy did any homework in the 50's,:eek:

10. [​IMG]

Also some cool pix evolve from this sort if driver training

11. Mike

Mike

Good read. Spot on across the board.

12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I'll come back and read this during lunch... The way you snuck the HAMB in the laundry girl pic is quite clever!

13. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Exciting read! Glad you shared that with us Ryan

14. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Excellent reading, thank you!