Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Virtual top 100 Custom car show

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Anyone with recent photos of the Calori cpe from Brizio´s shop?
    I know it´s being restored to its former glory right now...

[​IMG]

2. Rikster

Rikster

RPW, this is the only picture I have of it. But you might have already seen it in my albums.

[​IMG]

And here is another picture of the custom in the 50's

[​IMG]

3. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Rob Fortier's '53 Chevy is a very tasteful car and really looks mighty good.

[​IMG]

4. loogy

loogy

Rob Foutier Chevy IS one of my favorite 53-54 Chevys of all time. And it's so simple and clean.

5. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

I had to dig around for this one.
    From my very beat-up copy of Hop Up, April 1953, where they were running a contest to pick the best customs of the year. Sort of like this thread!

The Don Roach Pontiac by Al Ayala, with a Carson Top (featured in the May 1952 issue). Sometimes simple is best...
    Dave

6. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Klassic Kustoms...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. epinut

epinut

I'll second that! But I still haven't seen with the beltline trim in place, anybody?

8. RF

RF

If you go to Del Mar in a couple'a weeks, you can view the beltline trim in all its filled and polished glory. I do things the slow way...I'm lazy.

9. epinut

epinut

Sure would love to see it, cause it's absolutely beautiful! But I ain't exatctly in the neighborhood to say the least (Sweden) so I guess I have to stick to pics...:D

10. RF

RF

It's worth the price of a plane ticket, but I'll get some images up on here!

11. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Another pic of the Don Roach Pontiac by the Ayalas. Thsi one came from the 25th Anniversery issue (Aug 1991) of Rod & Custom in an excellent article on the Carson Top Shop. This issue is a must-have for Kustom fans.
    Dave

Attached Files:

12. Rikster

Rikster

I have always had a soft spot for the Harry Westergard look. So here are a few I would like to see at the show as well.

'36 Ford convertible, Carson top, LaSalle grille,sunken (Caddy?) headlights, sollid hoodsides... this one was built by Harry Westergard.

[​IMG]

Those bumpers look so wonderful on this 36.

[​IMG]

Mel Falconer 39 Ford convertible with removable top, another one of Harry's masterpieces.

[​IMG]

Metal master Donn Lowe built this totaly awsome '36 Ford coupe... and you surely can see where he got the inspiration from... perfect speedboat stance, flawless body work.

[​IMG]

And ofcoars the '36 Ford coupe from John Fisher needs to be in this line up as well.

[​IMG]

This old late 40's photo of this 36 5 window coupe has always had a huge impack on me. Its style is so symple yet so effective. I wonder why we dont see more '36 Ford with a narrowed grille like this one. It looks so great and is far less expensive than a LaSalle or Packard unit. Removing the runningboards make this custom so much more elegant.

[​IMG]

13. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Rik,great pics and great cars !!! I enjoy the pics a lot.Thank you ! Totally dig the speedboat stance at all and the black & white pic of Jon Fishers '36 shows one more the Choppers cars are really timeless.Beautiful cars...Well,I really like the front on this one.Peaked fenders,grille,bumper and bumper guards,position of head lights,height of winshield,stance.Damn cool car...

[​IMG]

We already had Aaron Kahan's '60 Ford,Keith Weesners '50 Ford,Jon Fisher's '36 Ford and now it's time for another Choppers car.Deron Wright's '41 Ford.
    Absolutely perfect car...what a beauty...sensational...

[​IMG]

And another well known '36 Ford from the West Coast.I really like the single tail light on this one.Bumper and position of exhaust pipes look good too.

[​IMG]

14. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

And to make the Choppers Custom line-up complete,here's Verne Hammond's '40 Ford.Seems the pic was taken at Paso.The Fisher car parked next to it.Hammond,Wright and Weesner have Sombrero caps on their cars and I easily understand why.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close-up of the '36 Ford.

15. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Here are three customs you might not know.
    They all appeared in the 1952 issue of "Restyle Your Car."

The first is a home-built 1937 Ford five-window: chopped, lowered, skirted
    with a nose from what looks like a 1940 Merc. Custom grille beneath and '40 Merc or Ford headlight doors in custom pods. The builder was Glenn Johnson of Las Vegas, Nevada.

The next is a 1950 Ford, sectioned down to sports car width. Olds fishmouth, custom windscreen (maybe from a boat?) Hood and truck openings sealed.
    It must have a flip front since there is no other way to get to the engine.
    Looks to be a two-seater. Owner was Thomas Douglas of Miami, Florida - builder was Doray.

Last is a 1951? Chrysler convert. Two-seat conversion with a loooong tonneau with headrests. Powered by a Cunningham-modified Chrysler.
    Owner was Monroe-Zeder Inc of Miami, Florida.

I never looked twice at these early Chryslers, but what impact from just a few mods! I wonder what model they started with - I bet a closed car, since the windshield and posts are customized.

Wonder if any of these cars survived?

Dave

16. Tony

Tony

RF's 53 was a HUGE inspiration on my own 53.
    Deffinately one of my favorite early chevy's, and more than worthy of being in the top of the class!
    Clean and simple line's...

Tony.

17. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

this is a great thread. I love all those customs.

18. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

And this is a G R E A T Chevy Custom !!!

[​IMG]

19. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

oh god, please take that pic down. That car doesn't deserve to be with the cars posted on this thread. Thanks anyways Frenz

20. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Your Chevy definitely belongs here !!! It's a great looking car with excellent lines and proportions and a very nice chop and stance !!! Everything what a good looking Custom needs is there. Dig your car a lot and I believe I'm not the only one who thinks this way.It's a killer car !!!

21. Hey Frenz, I like it too!

I want to see this thing really bad. I don't know if it belongs here. It is kind of a mix between hot rod and Kustom. Forgive me if it doesn't fit but it is bad ass anyways. I don't know anything about it but it has been on the HAMB before.

[​IMG]

22. Anyone have a pic of Linc Paola's 49?? Chevy, the one with the bellyburner exhaust along the rear fenders??

23. Rikster

Rikster

Here is another one of that 49 with "boat type" windshield. Its mentioned the body has only four parts the hood and front fenders are molded together, the trunk and rear fenders and then the two doors. not sure if they open or not. I always loved this front angle photo.
    [​IMG]

24. Rikster

Rikster

This one?
    Wonderfull chop

[​IMG]

I love the 49-50 Mercury grille suround and Chrysler grille... perhaps the hood corners could have rounded to complete it all... but those frenched headlights make it all work fantastic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Rikster

Rikster

I have always loved 49-51 Ford customs, especially when they where sectioned. Valley Customs build one of the best loking 49 Ford customs for Ron Dunn, which I showed in the beginning of this post. Here are two more great photo of this fantastic custom compaired to a stock 49 Ford, and several other 50's built sectioned 49-51 Ford customs.

[​IMG]

Don Britton owned this 49 sedan which was sectioned 5 inches. The simple grille is georgious. The custom was also seen a lot with fender skirts, but on this sectioned body I prefere the look without them. Most of the customizing was done by Cuck Calvin and I read somewhere that Sam Foose was also involved in the built of this custom...

[​IMG]

Wonderfull sectioned and chopped convertible from Florida.

[​IMG]

Merton Peterson's sectioned '50 Ford coupe also looked very good. I love its pancacked hood, but the grille and bumperetes never did much for me. The side profile of this car is perfect though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Rik,as you know I love those Shoebox Fords too but I don't like sectioned cars.I know,it's one heck of a job and I have big respect for such metal work.I think it brings the car out of proportion.It would be interesting to see cars that have been sectioned only a little bit,like 1"-2",but I guess nobody will do such thing as the majority will hardly notice it.Only people who really know that car will notice "..hey,what happened here ? It looks "different" but I don't know why..".That kind of thing.I wasn't sure to post this pic as it is a photoshop pic.Yes,it's the Ford you posted into another topic.I like those Shoebox Fords without skirts too but I like them even more with skirts.So I added some skirts and lowered the car some more.

[​IMG]

I was totally blown away when the pic was done as the car looks sooo good !!! It has the perfect stance and although I prefer more "radically" chopped tops,I have to admit this one looks really good.The car is on my desktop right now as I couldn't get enough of it...just look how good an unsectioned Shoebox Ford looks and I understand,YOU love them this way too.I just never would think of sectioning it...it's just my opinion.Just talking Kustoms...

27. Rikster

Rikster

Hi Tom,

I like custom with mild sectioned probably better as well.. and they are arround where cars where only sectioned on eor two inches. Ayala sectioned the hood on John Geraghty only two inches and moved the front fenders up the same amount. This sure gives the whole front a longer look... similar

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Harry Bradley did the same thing when he designed this 40 Mercury (built by Donn Lowe) and then even less. about one inch was removed from the hood sides and the fenders moved up... very subtile.. lots of work.. great result (in my eyes)The rear fenders where also moved up one or two inches on this custom. Thi scar has so many very subtile (and not so subtile) body modifications. Alot go unnoticed, but sure improve the whole look of the car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So yes I like them chppped and sectioned mild... but also the 4 or 5 inch sectioned bodies especially onteh 49-51 Ford appeal to me very much. Its a totaly different look than the tailldraggers we all love. But styling wise its sure works for me. Ussually the sectioned cars need to be lowered less to get the optical weight balance just right.

To me it really works if you get a lot of people looking at a custom, and really like it, but they are not really sure why. it looks chopped or sectioned... but when its only done one or two inch you almost need a stocker to compair it. Those subtile customizing job really apeal to me.
    But like you said, there are not many who are willing to go thru all teh trouble for so "less"

28. loogy

loogy

On this subject of sectioning cars, I have to say that I like some cars sectioned but others I really don't like.

Sectioned 49-54 Chevys dont' look right to me. They look all out of proportion. Same goes for 49-51 Ford sedans and business coupes. However, I like sectioned 49-51 Ford convertibles and Victorias as long as they have an appropriately chopped top, like the picture posted above by Rickster of the one from Florida. Something about the flatness of the roofs on the converts and Victorias make a sectioning job work as opposed to the tall, round roofs of the sedans and coupes, even when chopped.

I also want say that this is by far one of the best collections of custom photos anywhere. TheFrenz, Rickster and others have posted an amazing amount of photos. The most amazing thing about this collection of photos is that, with very few exceptions, I like each and every one of them. Thanks guys, this is one of the most enjoyable posts that I have read.

Chris

29. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Rik,
    VERY interesting to read your comments and you again posted some pics of very classy rides.Thanks a lot ! Well,those Harry Bradley cars are not from this world...it's always a blast to read something of them in TRJ.Also enjoy the design sketches a lot ! The work and thoughts that went into those cars is amazing and I simply find no words to describe it.Maybe something like "art on wheels" would be appropriate.Just think about the recessed body trim for example like they did on "Job One".By the way,got that car on video at Paso.God,the big Caddy engine makes such a rumble,awesome,you get a totally different view of the car if you know how it sounds ! All in all,I'd say the Bradley cars are "too beautiful".I know,sounds strange and don't get me wrong,I really like them,but somehow I would be afraid to drive such a car...
    This sectioned Shoebox Ford is out of your fotki album and I think you already posted a pic of it in the very beginning of this thread.That car,for example,looks good to me and is really tasteful.I wouldn't want to build something like that but I like it ! I think Loogy is right with what he says about Convertibles and Victorias.By the way,thanks a lot for your input Loogy,I really do appreciate ! What I really like on this one is the front.The v'ed(?) Olds grille bar and the Merc grille shell.Looks very good to me !

[​IMG]

Loogy,this is indeed a great thread and I'm very glad Rikster started it ! I already posted a pic of speedaddict's '39 Chevy yesterday and I also really like your Chevy.I was REALLY impressed when Loogy posted some chop progress pics lately.As some of you may know this is a photoshop pic.Blake did the majority of the work.I just added skirts and lowered the rear.

[​IMG]

I think the pic shows what great potential loogy's car has ! I heard you also plan to put on Packard trim like the Landon Chevy has.Man,this is going to be a killer '53 Chevy sled.I like your car a lot and I know this thread actually is about "real" cars but I really would like to see this one at the show too.There are many great rides here on the HAMB and I also would like to see the Chevy's of cleatus and PakRat32 and I actually wanted to post pics of their cars as well but I don't have any and beside that their cars aren't "finished" yet...

30. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

I thought it's time for another Merc."Wolf's" hardtopped '51 from Sweden is exactly the kind of sled I'm into.What a cool ride...

[​IMG]