Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Photos taken before WW2 - history in black and white

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by twin6, Jun 13, 2010.

1. swi66

swi66

2. Shanita

Shanita
    from Dallas

Didnt want to scroll all the way through, so if theres already an answer sorry....... the mystery car on the 1st page looks like it has bugatti logos on the hub?

3. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Ralph Hamlin was a rather active fellow. He claimed to have owned the first motorcycle west of the Rockies, apparently started a bicycle shop, participated in many automobile races and even participated in the committee that organized the early Los Angeles Motor Shows. He also, starting in about 1905, became the distributor for Franklins in Southern California, later taking on Selden trucks and Scripps-Booth automobiles in his L.A. dealership. Read more about him at the link below....

The first photo shows him in a typical desert racing type of car which is a Franklin. The second photo shows his showroom in LA in 1902.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2009/06/17/lost-franklin-dealership-ralph-hamlin-los-angeles/

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      335.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      217.3 KB
      Views:
  4. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

I've heard of putting a Tiger in your tank but an alligator in your trunk?? This photo taken in Texas in March of 1941 shows how this character moved them in the trunk of his 1939 Ford coupe....

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      193.6 KB
      Views:
  5. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

We take a lot of things for granted today.....You can have a rollback come pick you up in 10 minutes after calling AAA on your cell phone.

Things were different back then......This sporty looking Demi Tonneau Touring car looks like it has had an argument with an immovable object. I bet it took a day or two to arrange to get the Rochester Carting Co. to come out and load (look at the HD saw horses probably used to hold the ramps) and bring this car home or to a shop where it could be repaired. The tow rig runs on hay also and not diesel fuel.....RMSC Photo

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      406.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  6. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

A prewar jalopy racer in Texas that has taken out the fence and looks to be on his way right out of the track.

It seems that these pilots of 1928-29 Ford roadsters are fairly aggressive drivers. In the second photo this driver is showing his high speed inside cornering maneuvers.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      229.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      195.6 KB
      Views:
  7. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

The Cootie Racing Car parked near the White House..1922

Attached Files:

8. early guy

early guy
    from Kansas

Here's a fight at an early baseball game-also a 1905-6 Rambler (2-cylinder).

Attached Files:

9. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

1937 and 1938 Pontiacs in Victor, Colorado

Attached Files:

10. early guy

early guy
    from Kansas

Here's an early Packard that T6 can tell us more about. Some are convinced the mechanicial looks like me-I'm pretty sure it isn't.

Attached Files:

11. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

What More Could You Want, Handsome Guy, Atmosphere, 1936 Ford, Victor, Colorado in the Snow - Circa WWII

Attached Files:

12. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

I would like a Cord, please...

Attached Files:

13. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Ticketing the driver of one of the new-fangled automobiles.

Attached Files:

• 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      42.4 KB
      Views:
  14. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Two vintage photos of German automobiles captured by the U.S. during WWII. The top photograph is from an unknown U.S. unit and is labelled "Howard Slova, 1st Cook, Germany, '45 June" on the back. The bottom photograph is from an unknown unit of Ninth Air Force and appears to be an Opel Olympia

Attached Files:

15. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Sonja Henie in her Cord Cabriolet

Attached Files:

16. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Hazel Forbes, star of Down to their Last Yacht and Bachelor Bait, lends her bathing suit-clad image to a 1934 Packard Super Eight Convertible Victoria.

Attached Files:

17. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Packard Motor Co. enlisted members of the Marion Morgan Dancers to promote the 1927 model Packard 343 Series Eight. The troupe danced around the United States at auto events and in London in variety shows, specializing in interpretative Greek movement. Here, dancers perform a circle ceremony around a convertible coupe.

Attached Files:

18. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Tom Mix Cord

Attached Files:

19. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Cecil B. Demille in a Cord Phaeton

Attached Files:

20. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

These country bumpkins in the second photo could not wait for their tea toddling city slicker relatives to leave in their Franklin after the long 4 TH. of July weekend.

Soon as they headed down the road they rolled out the barrel of the special sooth sippin stuff.....

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      196 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      110 KB
      Views:
  21. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

I posted the first photo a couple of days ago and guessed that it was a 1905 Thomas. I since have found this second photo that I have seen before of Eskimos in the car and I am convinced that it is the same Thomas. This photo is copyrighted 1905.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      416.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      434.9 KB
      Views:
  22. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

[​IMG]

"In 1901 Marconi placed a radio aboard a Thornycroft steam powered truck, thus producing the first land based wireless mobile. (Transmitting data, of course, and not voice.)"

[​IMG]

"1910 on it appears that Lars Magnus Ericsson and his wife Hilda regularly worked the first car telephone. Yes, this was the man who founded Ericcson in 1876"

[​IMG]

"the first version of a mobile, two way, voice based radio telephone in 1924"

23. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Second Annual Hill Climb. Bridgeport Automobile Club. Sport Hill, Easton Conn.

May 30, 1907

The Automobile is a 1907 Berliet

The Berliet was manufactured in Lyon, France. The company was named for its founder, Marius Berliet (1864-1949), who assembled his first one-cylinder vehicle in 1894. By the early 1900s he had established thriving factories, thanks to strong sales in North America. He also established successful lines of commercial vehicles, and stopped producing passenger cars to concentrate on industrial vehicles and trucks in 1939. The company was sold to Citroen in the early 1960s and is now a part of the Renault Industrial Vehicles division.

Attached Files:

24. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

I have been looking for this photo to share w/you for a while now and just stumbled across it. I have also seen another photo of this car in an early book I have so I guess the information is credible.

The Apperson was a very good early car and this was their large racing car for 1907 w/a very novel name.....They called it THE BIG DICK of all things.....

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      104.6 KB
      Views:
  25. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

1938 Olds Convertible

Attached Files:

26. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

Early "in-car" radio:

[​IMG]

27. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

1913 Oldsmobile Model 40

Attached Files:

28. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

It's a tough job but somebody has to do it. Guy in the picture looks like a Dummie meaning Mannequin.

Attached Files:

29. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

SUNROOFCORD..... The Berliet photo you just posted was also called the Alco or the American Berliet. Thanks for the great photos.....Where did they come from?? Are there any other racing photos there????

Compare the photo with an early Alco I posted the other day. Information below from WIKI

The company diversified into the automobile business in 1906, producing French Berliet designs under license. Production was located at ALCO's Rhode Island Locomotive Works in Providence, Rhode Island. Two years later, the Berliet license was abandoned, and the company began to produce its own designs instead. Alco cars won the Vanderbilt Cup in both 1909 and 1910 and also competed in the Indianapolis 500 in 1911, but they had less success in sales, abandoning automobile manufacture in 1913. The Alco automobile story is chiefly notable for starting the automobile career of Walter P. Chrysler, the plant manager, who left for Buick in 1911 and subsequently founded the Chrysler Corporation in 1925.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      377.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      414.7 KB
      Views:
  30. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

They definitely resemble each other. I found them at www.georgeglazer.com No other racing photos there that I saw. Thanks for the additional information.