Register now to get rid of these ads!

History GENE WINFIELD SHOP TRUCK FOUND (official restoration thread)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PeteFromTexas, Dec 18, 2008.

1. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Great pic!

That picture was taken by Gene if I remember correctly. It was taken in the early 60's not the mid 80's. I'm sure they just used the old picture for their issue.

2. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Oh yeah, The truck made it's way into the shop today and the restoration has been started!!!

I will keep you guys updated here on the HAMB. You can also visit our web site and check out the progress there.

3. hotsilver

hotsilver
    from Florida

Gene is the man....!

4. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

5. I was wondering what the SCOOP was,,,
    it hadn't changed since the AUTORAMA,,,
    although the cutout of gene looked NEW,,,,

xoxox
    miss hootch

6. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Ok. Many of you have been asking. Yes, the restoration has been started. The truck has been completely torn down and is in the process of being blasted and the damage repaired.
    Below you can see what little rust the truck has. It is quite amazing considering it was under water 3 times!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only rust we have found is a little in the rockers and in the front of the bed.

[​IMG]

Here is a some of the original paint that was hiding! Gotta love that gold color!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my favorite part. The original dropped and filled axle done by Gene himself!

[​IMG]

7. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Too cool! I'm glad its getting going. Cool meeting some of your guys at the Roundup and seeing the truck.

8. Flathead26T

Flathead26T

Just saw the write up in Hot Rod Duluxe. Way to cool. I when i flipped through it at the store i didnt see that it was in there, and then i started reading it when i got home and saw it.

9. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

10. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

100% NUTS. I am gonna see Gene in Syracuse in July! Awesome find. Would love to see Gene in it again! Thanks for sharing. Slim

11. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

12. rcoffey

rcoffey

:Dthe wife and I had our picture made with Gene at the Dallas autorama
    standing next to the truck.way kool moment!

Attached Files:

• 079.JPG
      079.JPG
      File size:
      125 KB
      Views:
    • 094.JPG
      094.JPG
      File size:
      109.4 KB
      Views:
  13. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

HAHA That is me with the shaved head sitting in the background of the first picture. That whole week was a blur!

14. awbcrazy

awbcrazy
    from Arvada, Co

thanks for sharing the original color under the blue, thats cool! can't wait to see more. :cool:

15. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thank you for posting progress photos.

Man... did you kind of feel bad stripping all of that original paint? I saw it at the Roundup. I don't know if I could do it.

16. Anderson

Anderson

Did you save any paint chips?? I'd buy them! :)

17. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I agree. It will be bad ass restored, but I don't know if I could grind off that paint either.

18. eye bone

eye bone

19. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Haha! Good idea! Put me in line!

20. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

HA. Sorry guys there are no more paint chips left. I grabbed a few but the are all gone.

Yes, it was very hard to get rid of all of that original paint. Seemed like messing with history.

21. windotis

windotis
    from oregon

Wow, i'm floored over the response this truck is getting. My dad owned this truck for about the last 30 years. I was actually looking for the 800# for Hatfields as he lost it and wanted to check on the restorations. He is not on line, so when I can drag him in town he can see the response. I always knew the truck was special. It was supposed to go to my sister, then brother, then me. Both brother and sister have passed and I have neither the knowledge, money or space to take on such a job. I had encouraged dad to put it in the hands of someone who could do it justice, but he always hoped I or my husband would take it on. Finally, Tex from central Oregon spied the truck while driving by, made a call to his brother, and the negotiations began. Dad wasn't sure if these guys were legit, but with some checkin around, it found it's way home. Gene signed his book and sent it to my dad, which was a thrill. A little history to bring the facts more in line. Dad bought the truck from "Buddy" and actually did drive it for a few years. He took it out to Forest Grove, Or a couple times to show it. It then sat in our garage in Portland, Or for about 10 years- it was to go to the 1st of us kids who got a 4. grade avg in school and who was willing to put in a little work- it was still in good shape. When my parents bought a ranch in the coast range mtns. in Or., the truck was put in the barn in about 1979 or 80. It did go through 2 floods, but the water never went much deeper than about 3 ft. [thought that's alot! That's probably why there was so little rust. The owl poop covering it was another story! That's about all of it. I will be keeping an eye on this thread, and hope to get dad here to see it too.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  22. thayer

thayer
    from P-Hoe_Nix

Any updates? Bump

23. Windotis, thanks for adding to the thread with your family's history of ownership.

24. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

A few updates.

We have been working really hard to get the body ready for paint. The front fenders and bed are almost rebuilt and most of the body has been blasted and sprayed with sealer. The rest of the body parts will be acid dipped and the return for final mock up and then bodywork.

We are also really close to completing the side pipes. We only had pictures to go off of. Most of the original tubing was missing. Very soon they will be off to North Texas Quality Chrome in Gainesville to be plated.

I’ll post more pictures and another update very soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  25. That exhaust looks great. Such a neat truck. I had no idea it was still around until this thread was started. I'm glad to see it in good hands.

26. Thanks for the posting an update, is there a dealine for the truck to be finished by?

27. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

A little progress to report. The truck has gone through the final stage of mock up and fabrication. All the parts have been sand blasted. The frame is in bodywork right now and will be painted by Friday.

The bed, fenders, running boards and other body parts are in the final stages of bodywork and will be in primer by next week.

28. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

And now the fun part.

H&H Flatheads has finished the motor and sent us a picture this morning. It will be on the Dyno this week and then sent to us to put in the truck!!

Those guys are awesome! Thanks so much!

This is the most beautiful flat head I have ever seen! Enjoy!

[​IMG]

29. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Holy sh@#$t!! Amazing!!

Ian

30. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW that flathead is amazing.... Can't wait to see it in the finished truck!