Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Geoff Miles & Steve Coonan: ROADTRIP!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 28, 2008.

1. mtlcutter

mtlcutter

This sounds like a fun trip. Like the picture of the chassis out the back window when they are coming out of Albuquerque.

2. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

They finally caught up w/ us in Peculiar at Pete n Jake's. Fixed a few things, got some grub w/ the ever hospitable Slovers and then blasted off to St Louie for the night. Off to see some collection's belonging to the Stirnemann Bros and Kurt McCormick and then heading to Louisville.

Attached Files:

3. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

thanks for the update steve-ya'll should have a blast

4. So it's just work, work and more work for Steve and Geoff. ;) LOL

What a great road trip. Wonder if there will be any good photos? :rolleyes:

5. Special Ed

Special Ed

The body is sitting on the floor of our shop (Totally Custom) waiting for that chassis to make the rounds, and return here so we can finish that damn thing! We were still wrenching the chassis together while the flatbed was waiting with it's motor running to get it up to Huntington Beach last week...

KKrod likes this.
  6. Dowies

Dowies

Very Cool. I made a similar tow bar last spring for a "what if" situation. I haven't used it yet. I'd be curious how well the Geoff Miles and Steve Coonan roadtrip went.

Here's a previous post for anyone that want's to make one. It cost me about $50.00 http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237042

Dowie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. TRJ

TRJ
    Alliance Vendor

hey,

here a couple pics from yesterday and this morning. we're all pretty beat right now. more later!

thanks for the kind words and support, as always!

geoff

Attached Files:

8. I've heard of the invisible man, now I've seen the invisible car. That second shot in centre above is a killer!

9. weez

weez

Totally great, the first pic gave me chills! Good luck guys!

10. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

11. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Geoff,
    Glad to see I'm not the only crazy sucker who flat tows anymore:D.
    Hell, That's how I got the Blue 34 3W home from he desert when I bought 12 ys back;). I used a lowered 76 Datsun King Cab P/U and killed its rear bumper by the time I reached Temple City:mad:. It's towbar was made from tubing back in the day and is for a 34.

The only other long distance jaunt that I did with it was when I hurt the coupes engine going to Muroc in 97, Had a great time just the same, Flat towed it home on Sunday white knuckled all the way:eek:.

I've flat towed both the T-ster and the 34 Woody and with it and even adapted it to the Cyclone 32 chassis when I've moved it place to place.

You and Steve have B*lls, I tip my hat to you. Have a great time!

CK.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  12. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Who took this? Can someone send me the hi rez. I'm sure you can figure out what I want to do with it... ;) [email protected]

13. texastramp

texastramp

I would imagine that photo was taken by Steve or Geoff because at that time in this saga, they were the only ones there ............

14. nexxussian

nexxussian

Go man Go!

Good luck fellas.

15. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Congratulations guys! on a trip well done. Thats what its all about..

Joshua Shaw

16. that is fucking BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. That'll never work!

Needs a mannequin or blow up doll driver.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  18. duste01

duste01

I'll look for it when it gets here...and all my other buddies.

19. Hey Geoff!

Shouldn't YOU be driving/towing the roadster and Steve TAKING PHOTOS?

After all, that is what you pay him for, isn't it? ;)

20. Special Ed

Special Ed

Attached Files:

21. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Nice talking to ya again Geoff . Sorry I was kinda "pre Occupied" and left the Hotel bar early.. I was keeping an eye on my buddy's and could see that the seen was gonna turn bad. So, My Fiance and I got out of there..

It did from what I hear.:rolleyes:

Glad I missed it. There was a time I'd a been right in the pile throwing punches.

I was SO glad to see you guys in the Hotel lot on Thurs. fresh in from the tow... The frame looked KILLER!!

Have a safe trip home and enjoy STREAMLINE HOTRODS.. Race and I grew up together, That place is unbelievable!!:eek:

Joshua Shaw

22. There was a fight?

Street Rodders v Hot Rodders v Gold Chainers v Chequebook Rodders?

Or did someone step on someone else's toe?

23. 32csr

32csr
    from cincinnati

some punks thought it would be a good idea to run us young Cincy area guys and our hot rods into the ground......that didn't work out too well for them in the end

24. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

That a boy 32csr.

"I guess non of you pussy's wanna wrestle"... Bar owner and his bouncer

"We will"... Cincy guys.:D

as I understand it, 95 pound Richcraft Mike went in first and pretty much held his own untill the bouncer jumped in. Thats when you. as Race put it, "Came in like a frieght train and leveled everyone!":D

I heard you lost your cell phone in the deal. I jumped in the Hotel pool with mine in my pocket AGAIN!!! (I did this about three years ago at the same pool)

.............................................................................

Sorry to Hi-jack..

Back to the tow trip.

JD

25. 32csr

32csr
    from cincinnati

Fat boy here can move when provoked....just had to happen....back on topic, It was good to meet Coonan and Geoff in person....to all the naysayers that had to question why the flat tow took place.....as real hot rodders say, " You either get it, or you don't" enough said, great road trip idea guys!

26. I guess I'm just not a real hot rodder ... cuz' I still don't "get it" ... I realize I'm very much in the minority here (for dare stating that the "Emperor has no clothes") ... but by no means am a naysayer... to each his own ... more power to Steve & Geoff for putting all those miles on Steve's roadster and Geoff's chassis ... I was just hoping for some rational (or semi-rational) reasoning behind it ... perhaps it is all just a TRJ marketing ploy :D ... probably not ... but if it was, then they certainly succeeded ... witness the 4200+ views to this thread! :)

I know, I know ... lighten up Francis!

27. Nomad

Nomad
    from Gretna, NE

Update: Steve and Geoff left Kansas City on Wednesday and made it to Speedway Motors in Lincoln in time to buy some 30-year-old Firestone dirt track tires. The plan was to strap 'em to Geoff's chassis, but they thought better of it and are having them shipped instead. They made it as far as Ogallala, Nebraska Wednesday night.

The roadster-and-a-half look killer going down the road. Casualties so far include losing the steering wheel and some not-so-minor steering column damage on Geoff's chassis.

28. nexxussian

nexxussian

Bummer.

29. TRJ

TRJ
    Alliance Vendor

Update time!

Sorry for the delay in posting more stuff, it was a hectic banzai run out there and back and we needed to concentrate on getting back on the next issue as soon as we arrived home.

I'll start with a few explanations, but we plan on a pretty good sized article next issue, so this is just random information.

The initial idea for this deal was just to ship the chassis to display in our booth at the NSRA Street Rod Nationals in Louisville, Kentucky and drive Steve's roadster out there and back. But, as usual, things evolve. Steve ended up with the idea of flat-towing the chassis behind the roadster all the way there and back. Who was I to argue, It seemed like a win-win-win situation. We would be on the road again (which is always fun!), we could generate feature material while out there and hopefully generate a buzz that we were out participating in the hot rod movement and not just punching a keyboard at the office. We could visit with people we hadn't seen in a while and check out some pretty cool collections of cars and a host of other things along the way.

So, we put the word out and for the most part people really didn't want any part of it, deeming it dangerous, and as Pete Chapouris said "stupid with a capitol S." My initial conversation with Ryan was a rushed one and I probably was a little harsh on the NorCal guys. To be honest, not everyone in Northern California abandoned us. Mike Smith and his California Hot Rods was down to help build a hitch as was good buddy Dave Takamura. But with the chassis at Totally Custom in Vista, and Steve's long time friend Chuck Lombardo Jr. and his shop, California Street Rods in Huntington Beach really excited about the idea we figured it would be easier to head there, have the chassis shipped up from Vista and get it all the pieces in one place.

Chuck got it all Fab'd up (with our help and hinderance) and dialed in with out any problems. We left Friday evening and headed for Arizona. Next morning we woke up to a flat tire on the chassis. Fortunately there was a service station next to the hotel and we were able to borrow a jack and go get a new tube. back on the road, it was pretty uneventful. we were just humming along. it wasn't like we couldn't feel the chassis tugging back there, but it towed along fine.

We made it almost all the way to Pete & Jake's in Peculiar, Missouri when we discovered that the nut had spun off one of the shock mounts. Thankfully we were able to make it to P&J's before closing time and get it sorted out. We had also been trying to catch up with Steve Wertheimer and Jim Jard, who we were supposed to meet up with at the KKOA meet in Salina, Kansas. They were sitting there waiting for us at P&J's when we pulled in.

Next morning we were off to St. Louis to see Jack and Harry Stirnemann and also see Kurt McCormick. As we were pulling into the hotel parking lot the night before Steve's roadster's exhaust system pretty much broke off at the mufflers. so, the next day was spent fixing it at the Stirnemann's and we ran out of time to visit with Kurt, but promised to see him on the way back through.

...i need to get back to some other work...i'll post more this evening...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008